CE24 fretboard wear

torqvaw

Probably a silly question but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I've been on the lookout for some early 90's CE's. Found a 94 that plays and sounds absolutely amazing. Frets had some wear and had been previously leveled. Changed the strings a few days after picking it up and noticed some fretboard wear primarily around the second and third fret area. Pitting/divoting..both terms would fit. (Disclaimer..I usually don't hang on to gear long enough to cause this type of wear, or have ever looked for gear more than a couple years old). Anyway after falling in love with this '94, which by the way has a Mahogany back I decided to look for a CE with an Alder back. Found a couple and both had been played. One much more than the other. Both were '91s and the fresher of the two looked quite nice with minimal fret wear but still has some degree of board wear(divoting..pitting) in the 2nd/3rd fret area. The other '91 which had been played quite a bit more had even more of this type of wear. I've seen vintage Strats, and Les Pauls form the 60's that had amazing amounts of divoting so I'm sure it's not unusual since all three of these guitars are pushing 30 years old and have been played.

Soooo to get to the actual question..Is this more common on the CE's than the Custom's (thinking a different grade of Rosewood)? Or, just a product of normal use for any guitar that has some age on it and has been played not stored in a closet..lol? My gut says it's the later..

Your gut is correct. I have a 2000 SC that shows some board wear. It's just an indication of how much they've been loved.

Depends how the previous owner played. My '65 SG Special (mine since 1967, my brother's from new) has no divots or noticeable board wear. But I play with a pretty light touch. The frets are worn, though.

I've seen plenty with board wear on other examples of the same model.

All my guitars develop a divot at the second fret. Best I can tell, it's my middle fingernail digging in when I make an open D chord. I don't fret particularly hard, either.

If he's vintage, I'm antique.

If you can buy Les in an antique shop, Sergio in some hipster thrift shop, I'd be in Goodwill with all the other sh@t that only just went out of style.

If you prefer a guitar analogy: If Les is the Gibson LP, or SG if you prefer, and Sergio is the PRS, I think I'd be a Daisy Rock.

If you can buy Les in an antique shop, Sergio in some hipster thrift shop, I'd be in Goodwill with all the other sh@t that only just went out of style.

If you prefer a guitar analogy: If Les is the Gibson LP, or SG if you prefer, and Sergio is the PRS, I think I'd be a Daisy Rock.
I'm a McSoapy... I told you I'm loving P90's right now...:cool:

Back