Carbon fiber vs. truss rod

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Ok, well not really a vs sorta thing, but...those who have the carbon fiber...
does the relief on the board feel good/natural? I've had very limited time on one. I don't doubt the stability at all. More just the feel and playability since I've never owned a guitar with something like that.

Ok, well not really a vs sorta thing, but...those who have the carbon fiber...
does the relief on the board feel good/natural? I've had very limited time on one. I don't doubt the stability at all. More just the feel and playability since I've never owned a guitar with something like that.

I've had two; my orignal Tonare Grand Custom had a carbon fiber rod, and my current Private Stock acoustic has one because I liked it so much on the first guitar.

It feels absolutely great. Especially on an acoustic where action is typically different from an electric guitar. No matter what's happening in terms of temperature and humidity, the guitar just plays spot on like the day it arrived. And we had a horrible, dry, cold winter last year in Michigan. The stability in the neck is incredible, and that helps playability more than you might imagine.

But I also want to discuss what it does for tone. I think many would agree that putting a steel block and rod inside a neck will affect the tone. No doubt carbon will, too. But I go back to the days when my high end Martins were made without truss rods, and my personal belief is that guitars without metal truss rods sounded a bit different from guitars that have them, something I attribute to the woods and construction being even more crucial to the sound of an acoustic than an electric.

The carbon fiber rods are embedded into the wood. They have lower mass. I think there is just a touch more subtlety in the way the guitar sounds on account of the lack of metal in the neck. This is hard to put into words, and I might indeed be crazy. But I do hear a sound I like better.

Anyway, so what if I'm crazy? ;)

Paul Smith thinks they sound better than steel rods, too. Not saying my ears are as good as his, but I hear the difference.

I agree with Les.
I have two guitars with carbon fibre in the necks, one a PRS Tonare and I would not hesitate to get it again, well if I ever felt the need for another acoustic.

Was just thinking about how rarely I tweak my current acoustic truss rod...in fact, I've never even mesured relief. Granted, I don't do setups nearly as frequently as my electric since I don't play near as much and I just had it in for fret polish, restring.

has anyone ever checked relief on a carbon fiber PRS?

Was just thinking about how rarely I tweak my current acoustic truss rod...in fact, I've never even mesured relief. Granted, I don't do setups nearly as frequently as my electric since I don't play near as much and I just had it in for fret polish, restring.

I've never done it. Why bother? It's not like it's going to change.

Mine does not move.
I have other acoustics that shift a bit, but not enough that I bother adjusting it.

What Les and Veinbuster said. I'm amazed how stable my neck is. I almost think it doesn't need tuning pegs, as al almost never need to tune the damn thing!

If I ever build another Private Stock electric, it will have the graphite rod instead of a steel truss rod.

Purely out of curiosity to see if it's straight or how much relief they designed it to have.

I should have clarified that to say it isn't the kind of thing I'd personally be curious about, because the neck works so well for me.

I should have clarified that to say it isn't the kind of thing I'd personally be curious about, because the neck works so well for me.
I'm sure it's great too, it's a lot of $ to throw down though. If I were able to play one for more than a few minutes, I wouldn't be asking the question. PRS acoustics are hard enough to find, much less one of the carbon enforced ones. There's a Tonare that I have my eye on, but it's really more of a pipe dream at this point. Likely be long gone if I ever were in position to buy it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;169586 said:
If I ever build another Private Stock electric, it will have the graphite rod instead of a steel truss rod.

Yep.

What is the action set on the carbon fiber rods at the 12th fret?

Back