Captain Obvious Says Different Guitars Sound Different.

Thank you both - I knew ProTools had this, but I hadn't found it in Logic (and wished I had!).

Welcome! It’s a good feature, especially if you want to (or in my case, have to) go back to a track to make changes and you need to recall hardware settings, guitar, amp, etc.

Any changes to the notes you make in the space under the track name (assuming you add it to your channel strip) is reflected in the notes that you can find clicking on the little note pad icon in the upper right area of the screen, and vice-versa. Also, the notes can be way longer than the little space in the channel strip.

Glad you found it useful!

In that track, I was going for an almost horn-like sound with the Soapbar, and pretty much got there. The pickups can achieve more clarity with the volume on the guitar turned up, but I generally control amp or pedal gain with the volume control on the guitar, and my typical guitar volume setting is 6-8. So a little less spank, a little more throaty sound on that guitar.

From what I’ve seen, that’s a good practice with that amp, too. DG seems to control everything from the guitar. That’s another on my long list of “wish I had one of those” amplifiers!

RickP's comment is what I would have said. P90 throatier and the Humbucker more clarity and bite. It's convenient that you can skip through the sample to compare the sounds.:cool:

From what I’ve seen, that’s a good practice with that amp, too. DG seems to control everything from the guitar. That’s another on my long list of “wish I had one of those” amplifiers!

It’s a great way to control your gain, and get just the right edge (or not) for a phrase you’re playing. The amp really enhances the ability to do that, and it’s one reason I consider it a true player’s amp (I do not qualify as a true player, but I give it my best shot! ;)).

Those humbucker tones are delicious.

Thanks! It’s a great amp and guitar combination, so thank you David Grissom, Paul Smith and Doug Sewell!

Just the right amount of hair in that clip Les. To my ears the P90's had an edge that the humbuckers were missing. But I'm a P90 fanboy.

I think the P90s are a little fatter and warmer - at the settings I used. Turned all the way up, they’re brighter, but that wasn’t what I was going for. However, I love the way they drive an amp at just the right frequencies.

I grew up on P-90s, so yeah, I’m a fan boy too! But goodness knows those humbucker 594 tones are good sounds.

Reminds me of a bit of time wasting I went through many years ago. My main guitar at the time was a Tele. I only had the one McCarty at that time. I also had a Strat that I was never 100% happy with. So I sat down one afternoon to dial in my amp for the Strat. I was using a Vetta II at the time which was very, very particular about pickups. A patch could work great for one set up pups and be absolute crap for different pups. Anyway, I twiddled knobs for over an hour trying to dial in some happiness. Nothing was getting me all the way there. In frustration I put the Strat up and plugged in the Tele. And I immediately said to myself, "Self, THAT is what I am aiming for!" Then it hit me. I had just spent the last hour trying to make my Strat sound like my Tele. DOH!

Reminds me of a bit of time wasting I went through many years ago. My main guitar at the time was a Tele. I only had the one McCarty at that time. I also had a Strat that I was never 100% happy with. So I sat down one afternoon to dial in my amp for the Strat. I was using a Vetta II at the time which was very, very particular about pickups. A patch could work great for one set up pups and be absolute crap for different pups. Anyway, I twiddled knobs for over an hour trying to dial in some happiness. Nothing was getting me all the way there. In frustration I put the Strat up and plugged in the Tele. And I immediately said to myself, "Self, THAT is what I am aiming for!" Then it hit me. I had just spent the last hour trying to make my Strat sound like my Tele. DOH!

great story!!!

Thank you both - I knew ProTools had this, but I hadn't found it in Logic (and wished I had!).

Alan, the Rothermich series of Logic books (most are just about updates, you only truly need one to get pretty deep into it) are really good. I’ve been using Logic Pro for ten years, and only found these a couple of years ago. There were all kinds of things to learn!

In fact, I just learned something new last month about being able to chase midi note sustains. Who knew?

Logic is really deep. That’s why it’s so popular among film composers. But they have Logic-certified folks who help them with technical details, set up their templates, etc. Hans Zimmer has a guy who creates synth patches for his use in film music.

I certainly don’t have that - in fact, I’m not even sure I’d want that, since I like to explore, but his deadlines are probably a LOT worse than my deadlines. ;)

Apple’s manual is pretty lame, but Edgar’s is pretty damn good.

Alan, the Rothermich series of Logic books (most are just about updates, you only truly need one to get pretty deep into it) are really good. I’ve been using Logic Pro for ten years, and only found these a couple of years ago. There were all kinds of things to learn!

In fact, I just learned something new last month about being able to chase midi note sustains. Who knew?

Logic is really deep. That’s why it’s so popular among film composers. But they have Logic-certified folks who help them with technical details, set up their templates, etc. Hans Zimmer has a guy who creates synth patches for his use in film music.

I certainly don’t have that - in fact, I’m not even sure I’d want that, since I like to explore, but his deadlines are probably a LOT worse than my deadlines.

Apple’s manual is pretty lame, but Edgar’s is pretty damn good.

Thanks, Les. I will have to look those up. In the IT world, there's a sort of truism that everybody uses Microsoft Word, and most people use less than 10% of its capabilities. That's how I feel with Logic (and ProTools, to a degree).

I got into home recording with a Tascam cassette recorder (four whole tracks!), then moved to a Roland VS-1880. When I finally made the move to a computer-based DAW, I started with ProTools and I got decent with it. Nowhere near expert, to be sure, but I got pretty quick and could do some things pretty automatically. (Contrast that w/the VS-1880, where there were things I swear I had to relearn every time I did them because they didn't work the same each time.) Thanks to you (Les) and Sergio, I started using Logic as well, and it's become my primary DAW - it doesn't seem to stress my older computer as much - but I still feel faster on ProTools. I know I'm using probably under 10% of what it can do, and I don't think I've yet made a recording that sounds as good as the last thing I did on ProTools, but that could be my imagination. It does seem to work more smoothly than ProTools these days, but I haven't cut that cord yet.

Yet.

Thanks, Les. I will have to look those up. In the IT world, there's a sort of truism that everybody uses Microsoft Word, and most people use less than 10% of its capabilities. That's how I feel with Logic (and ProTools, to a degree).

I got into home recording with a Tascam cassette recorder (four whole tracks!), then moved to a Roland VS-1880. When I finally made the move to a computer-based DAW, I started with ProTools and I got decent with it. Nowhere near expert, to be sure, but I got pretty quick and could do some things pretty automatically. (Contrast that w/the VS-1880, where there were things I swear I had to relearn every time I did them because they didn't work the same each time.) Thanks to you (Les) and Sergio, I started using Logic as well, and it's become my primary DAW - it doesn't seem to stress my older computer as much - but I still feel faster on ProTools. I know I'm using probably under 10% of what it can do, and I don't think I've yet made a recording that sounds as good as the last thing I did on ProTools, but that could be my imagination. It does seem to work more smoothly than ProTools these days, but I haven't cut that cord yet.

Yet.

My first multitrack was a Tascam one-inch tape MS16 open-reel machine; I think it sounded great and was very heavy duty, but then I added three DA88s and a Roland DM-80 eight track hard disk recorder with fader pack and remote. They were all synced together with SMPTE time code, and I ran them with a Sony U-matic video deck in synch. That let me run 48 tracks, eight digitally editable, plus picture. My second console was bought around then, too, a 64 input board. I was in hog heaven in 1992, or whenever that was!! My mastering decks were a Fostex open reel with time code center channel, and a Panasonic DAT that was the pro audio cat’s meow at the time. Unfortunately, the Panasonic fell apart and I threw it out. It was junk. But by then CD-Rs were the vogue.

I’ve listened to some of my old analog tracks, and I’ve never made better sounding recordings digitally. BUT, I’ve worked a lot faster, and these days that’s important. As an example, I’m now chasing the eighth picture edit on an ad track in the last week. If I was all-analog still, it would be an impossible situation trying to meet deadlines.

Slowly I sold that hardware off, and probably blew some the dough on guitars I no longer have, some on my kids’ college tuition, and who knows what happened to the rest. ;)

Things I wish I’d kept:
- My console. It was mint 16 years later when I sold it, and everything worked.

- My MS16. It was built like a tank. In fact, it more or less looked like a tank, and weighed what a tank weighs. I still like the sound of tape. My Fostex. Some analog synths.

With DAWs, I’m conversant on pro tools, but don’t like its interface much. I’m good on digital performer and now operate best on Logic Pro. But for me, they’re all much alike.

Lots of folks in my line of work use both Logic for composing, and Pro Tools for mixing. That kinda makes very little sense to me, but I’m not making Hollywood movies. In ad world, it’s overkill.

As I’ve posted here recently, I’m acquiring a few choice analog pieces, mostly for the front end before hitting the DAW, like mic preamps, a good compressor, etc., because I’m genuinely dissatisfied with digital front end equipment, and I use the good stuff. But they’re just different sounding. I’m not saying digital is inferior. I simply like the old sound more.

Last edited:
Back