Captain Obvious Says Different Guitars Sound Different.

László

Too Many Notes
Last week I recorded tracks for a truck ad, and picture is going through revisions, so I started cleaning up the track to conform to new picture (this is what we do in Ad Land).

One of the things I had to do was record a couple of different phrases and add them to an existing track, cutting out parts the clients didn’t care for. I remembered that I used my 594, so I used it again; the amp and the mics were set up exactly as before.

I couldn’t figure out why the tone wasn’t matching!

Try as I might, I couldn’t get it sounding anywhere near the same. Then it dawned on me.

Wrong 594. I cut the original tracks with my soapbar 594!

Duh! I am a doofus. But it goes to show how different tracks sound with everything the same but the pickups. And I mean, huge difference! Might as well have been cut on two different planets.

As soon as I cut in the parts with the soapy, I was in business! Whew!

Maybe it’s safer to only have one guitar, but it’s nice to be able to really pull in the exact tone I want for a track by having a few. Don’t get me wrong, I always knew this, but often maintained I only need one guitar at a time. I guess it’s nice to have several. :rolleyes:

“Les, we’ve been telling you that for like umpteen years.”

“I like giving everyone the opportunity to say, ‘Told ya so’.”

Last edited:
Les, I didn’t tell you so. :)

I would, however, love to hear some elaboration on the 594 Soapbar. I am without a P90 guitar, and have considered a few of those lately.
I am a very happy 594 soapy player. It employs SD Antiquity pups as opposed to in house wound. I guess you just use what works best?
This combination of scale, wood choices, and pups is killer. I know that I can take one guitar to a jam or gig and this thing will cover (band) lots of territory.
Sits beautifully between single coil and humbucker with class and aplomb.

It seems like it might be a good addition to Logic to have a notes field per track for recording minutia like the guitar used and amp settings.

Wonder why such a think does not exist...

It seems like it might be a good addition to Logic to have a notes field per track for recording minutia like the guitar used and amp settings.

Wonder why such a think does not exist...

You can put notes under the track name in the mix window - it's an option for channel strips, and there's also a dedicated notes window that you can use per-track.

Or is it possible you were just pulling my chain... :eek:

Les, I didn’t tell you so. :)

I would, however, love to hear some elaboration on the 594 Soapbar. I am without a P90 guitar, and have considered a few of those lately.

How about just hearing a short clip of my soapbar vs my humbucker 594 that I wrote and recorded? Will probably be better than me yakking about it.

The soapbar takes the first solo (bridge pickup) followed by the humbucker model taking the second solo (bridge pickup).

DG30 amp. Neither guitar's volume or tone is full up.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messy-20

You can put notes under the track name in the mix window - it's an option for channel strips, and there's also a dedicated notes window that you can use per-track.

No chain yanking, I looked for this feature just to make sure I didn't miss it. They hid that pretty well. I actually had to consult the manual!

I"m sure glad I am not using this software professionally, I'd be terrible at it!

No chain yanking, I looked for this feature just to make sure I didn't miss it. They hid that pretty well. I actually had to consult the manual!

I"m sure glad I am not using this software professionally, I'd be terrible at it!

Lots of little features are fairly well hidden. I bought a series of very comprehensive books with great tips by a film composer called Edgar Rothermich, very helpful, lots of good insights.

I should also thank you for reminding me to use this feature, I went back and added notes!

Every interpreter interprets......slightly differently
5.jpg

Thank you both - I knew ProTools had this, but I hadn't found it in Logic (and wished I had!).

How about just hearing a short clip of my soapbar vs my humbucker 594 that I wrote and recorded? Will probably be better than me yakking about it.

The soapbar takes the first solo (bridge pickup) followed by the humbucker model taking the second solo (bridge pickup).

DG30 amp. Neither guitar's volume or tone is full up.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messy-20
Good tones on both! The Soapbar sounds a little throatier, which I liked, while the 594 has that awesome clarity. I can see why both are so well liked, and can also see why you were having issues trying to make one sound like the other! Seeing as I haven’t found the HB II I’m looking for, a Soapbar may be destined to expand my 594 herd. I like it.

Good tones on both! The Soapbar sounds a little throatier, which I liked, while the 594 has that awesome clarity. I can see why both are so well liked, and can also see why you were having issues trying to make one sound like the other! Seeing as I haven’t found the HB II I’m looking for, a Soapbar may be destined to expand my 594 herd. I like it.

Glad you found it useful!

In that track, I was going for an almost horn-like sound with the Soapbar, and pretty much got there. The pickups can achieve more clarity with the volume on the guitar turned up, but I generally control amp or pedal gain with the volume control on the guitar, and my typical guitar volume setting is 6-8. So a little less spank, a little more throaty sound on that guitar.

Back