Can you hear me now?

markintime

Wood Grain Devotee
I don't know why I have not thought of this before, especially since I have this little problem that has dogged me for years.

Tinnitus, def. : a sensation of noise (as a ringing or roaring) that is caused by a bodily condition (as a disturbance of the auditory nerve or wax in the ear) and typically is of the subjective form which can only be heard by the one affected.

Well, in my case it's not really ringing, but a constant high-pitched tone that never, ever stops. Mine came about, I'm sure, from my 4 year tenure aboard the USS Constellation during the Vietnam era. It was an aircraft carrier. Yes, was, because it has since been mothballed. Back in the day, we made 3 WestPac cruises. There's a lot of noise on board one of these bird farms. Not just from the engines roaring during take-off, but when they come in and hook that arresting cable. That's when the huge clutches kick in with a simply incredible KA-WHAM!!! Yes, we had the Mickey Mouse hearing protectors, but if you were anywhere within 1 or 3 decks of the flight deck you could absolutely not stop yourself from jumping, even when you knew exactly when it was coming. It was literally a physical assault on your auditory system.

So, all this is a prelude. Nowadays, I sing in the church choir, play handbells, and run the church sound system when it's my turn. Funnily enough, I have no problem staying in tune despite the tone in my head. Well, I finally had the idea that with the wonders of the Internet nowadays, there must be some way to find out just what the frequency of that sound is. And here it is: courtesy of the Online Tone Generator dot com. The exact frequency, as close as I can determine is: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/?freq=9950, with the volume at about 30%. Very close to 10K. By the way, you can click that link to hear what I cannot clean out of my head.

There are also a number of other neat features, including a hearing test if you want to hear just how high a frequency that you can hear. It also has an instrument tuner for guitar, ukelele, etc... .

Anybody else out there curious to hear what you're NOT missing? Let's hear it (pun intended). :flute:

Last edited:
My daughter suffers from tinnitus, and she's never been near loud sounds. It drives her batty sometimes I'm sure. We can't figure out how or why, but my mother has it, too, so maybe it's got a hereditary component. Or it could just be bad luck in my family.

Yep thats my noise too. the tone almost disappears behind my own ringing.. thx now i can show my wife exactly what i hear 24/7.

Yep thats my noise too. the tone almost disappears behind my own ringing.. thx now i can show my wife exactly what i hear 24/7.

Heh, you might get a little more sympathy now (cross fingers), 'cause you have to sleep with it!

I'm with this club too, did some loud weekly club rockin' for a while and fired a fair amount of rounds off in the service, had firing range duty pretty regularly. Plus I'm an OG so it's *part of the aging process to some extent, so I deal with it in an excepting way. The toughest part of it is how it can effect your sleep and when your sleep is messed up it can have a snowball effect over time. The only way I manage it is with a bit of mind control, TaeKwonDo gave me a little meditation skill so I think it helps me, even though my training was many years ago. Maybe my case is a mild one?

*Sorry to hear that Les, hope she manages it well. If it gets bad maybe she can read up on meditation, worth a try.

Every once in a blue moon (2-3 times a year) i get a ringing that lasts about 10 minutes or so. Thanks to that link, i've identified it as 2600 hz

8650 seems to be my magic tone...... I wish I would've used protection when I was younger......That statement probably covers other subjects too.....

When I was 14 or so I was playing with firecrackers. One of the fuses went way faster than the others and I threw it away from my hand as fast as possible to avoid injury, but it exploded maybe 18 inches from my left ear. It's been ringing ever since, that was like 24 years ago.

Heh, you might get a little more sympathy now (cross fingers), 'cause you have to sleep with it!

Dude, come on - pretty cold calling his wife 'it'! :vroam:

I've got some low-level tinnitus, but things have to be pretty quiet for me to notice it. I've slept with a radio on for years, and can't imagine going without it on a regular basis. Every now and then I get a clear tone like you guys describe, but so far it's always gone away. I'm that guy that takes ear plugs to concerts now. I'll take 'em out for the occasional song. Just got a new pair that seem a bit more transparent.

8650 seems to be my magic tone...... I wish I would've used protection when I was younger......That statement probably covers other subjects too.....

Haha, I concur!

As others have said it seems people can get this problem without being exposed to loud noises. I remember a friend of mine from 1st grade (can't believe I remember that far) had this problem and there wasn't any loud noises he remembers.

I have low level tinnitus and have had it for over 30+ years. Some days are better than others. Not sure why this is. I also am prone to ear infections and had many when I was a kid, and I can't help but wonder if there is a link. Has not effected my sleeping so I am thankful for that and have never been to a Dr to discuss it. I was around 100W Marshall Amps back in the 70's and I do remember my ears ringing after our band played.

Dude, come on - pretty cold calling his wife 'it'! :vroam:

I've got some low-level tinnitus, but things have to be pretty quiet for me to notice it. I've slept with a radio on for years, and can't imagine going without it on a regular basis. Every now and then I get a clear tone like you guys describe, but so far it's always gone away. I'm that guy that takes ear plugs to concerts now. I'll take 'em out for the occasional song. Just got a new pair that seem a bit more transparent.

Thats ok she calls me "it" on a regular basis too.
I've slept with a fan running since my 20's to make the ringing less noticeable at night. I credit my tinnitus to 70's Jensen 6x9 coaxial speakers, 20 years of motocross, and 38 years as a mechanic.

Thats ok she calls me "it" on a regular basis too.
I've slept with a fan running since my 20's to make the ringing less noticeable at night. I credit my tinnitus to 70's Jensen 6x9 coaxial speakers, 20 years of motocross, and 38 years as a mechanic.

Yep, that'll do it. But "it" was not a person, of course, just to clarify, ahem...

You know, what I wouldn't give to know what total and complete silence is like. Now, that would be "golden" to me. <sigh>

My daughter suffers from tinnitus, and she's never been near loud sounds. It drives her batty sometimes I'm sure. We can't figure out how or why, but my mother has it, too, so maybe it's got a hereditary component. Or it could just be bad luck in my family.

I was around F-16's, F-4's, F-15's and A-10' for most of my almost 22 year Air Force career. We wore double ear protection which made me extra cautious being around loud/music since I was an audiophile and why I never attended concerts as a rule. I will get Tinnitus if I eat certain foods.

My father was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and went from loud engines to working in construction. He has severe tinnitus and it impairs his hearing. It's not a pleasant condition.

Back