Brushed nickel covers - can anyone help?

Aeetus

Hi folks, I was wondering if any of you have either 1 or 2 brushed nickel covers I could buy off you or if you know where I could get them from? Any help appreciated, many thanks.

Don. :beer:

Thanks Mike, I'll check them out. Do you think I'd get a OEM look to the brushed finish by doing it myself?

Markie, I'm just worried I won't get the OEM brushed finish that the RP's have in my guitar and I don't want to remove the covers on the stock pick ups.

Thanks Mike, I'll check them out. Do you think I'd get a OEM look to the brushed finish by doing it myself?

I would say that the brillo pad and elbow grease would give you a comparable look to the stock ones. I've done a set myself and a former BAM member Klaus did a set that came out great.

But like Markie said incase anything goes arye I would pick up an extra 1 or 2 covers just in case. You can't really go wrong at 7 bucks each.

That's true ref the price, I don't mind scrapping some as long as I get the right look.

Get the green scotch-brite pads and move the pickup/cover along them, being sure to move parallel to the long side of the pickup. Don't use too much pressure, and go slowly. You'll have the pair done in just a few minutes.

I did it to a pair of Dimarzio 36th PAFs - they now look just like my DGT's pickups.

Cheers Jim, it's looking like that might be the way to go.

Get the green scotch-brite pads and move the pickup/cover along them, being sure to move parallel to the long side of the pickup. Don't use too much pressure, and go slowly. You'll have the pair done in just a few minutes.

I did it to a pair of Dimarzio 36th PAFs - they now look just like my DGT's pickups.

Jim Wagner did exactly this to a pair of WCR pickups I bought from him. Took maybe 30 seconds, turned out perfect.

Thanks for the help guys, I forgot I had a near new S.D nickel cover in my spares box so I got some ScotchBrite (purple which seems to be a less coarse variant) and spent about 10 minutes on it! Looks pretty good, not quite as deep as the brushed finish on the RP's but close. Once my new pick up arrives I just need to fit the gold pole screws and the cover and get the soldering station out.

j2mtKq2.jpg
I just spent 30 minutes creating some awesome brushed nickel covers for my SE Zach Meyers. I ordered the raw nickel covers from Philly Luthier Supply (50mm and 52mm), brought a pack of Heavy Duty Scotch Brite pads (green ones) at Home Depot and went to work:

1. Used rubbing alcohol to clean the oils off the covers
2. Placed the scotch brite pad on a rubber, non-slip mat on the basement floor and using firm pressure, I pulled the cover towards me, 5 strokes at a time and checked the results. Pull slow and in straight lines.
3. Since the pack had 8 pads for $5, I used three to insure I was getting maximum abrasion on the covers.
4. About five minutes with each, rotating to the sides, I had the desired finish
5. I used the carnuba wax from my Dunlop guitar finish kit to "clean" the covers when finished - be prepared for some dark, grimy residue and rotate the cotton cloth a lot.
6. Buffed them with a clean cotton flannel rag and BOOM....I'm digging the results

I plan to take the guitar to N Stuff Music next week to have a new PRS nut installed, setup with .010s and the covers installed. I have a 23 watt solder pencil and don't feel like buying a 40w now, so I'll have the pro do the assembly step and his other magic. For $18 total in parts/supplies, I like the results on the covers. Plus, I'm hoping the covers take a touch of the treble bite out of these SE 245 pickups.
TsjF2ep.jpg

j2mtKq2.jpg
I just spent 30 minutes creating some awesome brushed nickel covers for my SE Zach Meyers. I ordered the raw nickel covers from Philly Luthier Supply (50mm and 52mm), brought a pack of Heavy Duty Scotch Brite pads (green ones) at Home Depot and went to work:

1. Used rubbing alcohol to clean the oils off the covers
2. Placed the scotch brite pad on a rubber, non-slip mat on the basement floor and using firm pressure, I pulled the cover towards me, 5 strokes at a time and checked the results. Pull slow and in straight lines.
3. Since the pack had 8 pads for $5, I used three to insure I was getting maximum abrasion on the covers.
4. About five minutes with each, rotating to the sides, I had the desired finish
5. I used the carnuba wax from my Dunlop guitar finish kit to "clean" the covers when finished - be prepared for some dark, grimy residue and rotate the cotton cloth a lot.
6. Buffed them with a clean cotton flannel rag and BOOM....I'm digging the results

I plan to take the guitar to N Stuff Music next week to have a new PRS nut installed, setup with .010s and the covers installed. I have a 23 watt solder pencil and don't feel like buying a 40w now, so I'll have the pro do the assembly step and his other magic. For $18 total in parts/supplies, I like the results on the covers. Plus, I'm hoping the covers take a touch of the treble bite out of these SE 245 pickups.
TsjF2ep.jpg
Nice work, those turned out great! Will be a nice upgrade IMO. I generally prefer no covers only because of my disdain of the maintenance involved because of my sweat when playing live. I also kind of like the bridge pickup tone a little better with no covers. I'm not a huge zebra coil fan though. If/when I snag a ZM, there's a good change I might do this. I have some old uncovered 5909's I can see giving this treatment to.

I dig those covers, good job.

I buy mine from Philadelphia Luthier supply for about five dollars each and get the "raw nickel/silver" ones and I put them on just like that - no brushing. I really dig the "Antiquities" look of the raw nickel/silver covers. They look dull and have a cool appearance to them that parallels the Antiquities look. I have a set or two left.

I'm going to put a set of the raw nickel/silver ones on my Santana yellow SE. I have them on both my Custom 24's and my Singlecut Tremolo guitar. They make the guitars look so much better and more professional quality. I am not a fan of zebra pickups and I think they spoil the look of the new Fender American Standard strats with the zebra "Shawbucker" pickups. I would never buy one of those unless I was planning on replacing the bridge humbucker immediately, maybe before I brought it home.

Glad to see more and more guys covering up those "unsightly" zebra pickups. Ha, ha.

Back