Bridge Pins

sampost51

Hi - New to the forum. I just purchased an SE Angelus Custom. What a great guitar for the price! I changed the strings today and had a devil of a time removing the bridge pins ( I had to go into the sound hole and push them up and out!) Anyone else having that problem? I intend on buying new pins to alleviate the problem - but thought I would check. Thanks!

Crowbar_world_model_ep2.jpg

But Hans probably means one of these:

p33560.jpg

Thanks! I almost pulled out a crow bar! - I used several different pin pullers with no luck. The pins sit really low in the bridge and are very difficult to grab. I'm buying a new tool and will try that -

Could be that a Gorilla was installing them the day yours was made...

Try them again, using gentle pressure...

Jamie

I had exactly the same experience - until the penny dropped that if I detuned all the strings and unwrapped them from the tuning heads first, I could reach through the sound hole and push the pins up from inside. Prior to that, I used the appropriate groove on my string winder to pull the first peg and nearly marked the ebony bridge plate. When I restrung, I also put my hand through the sound hole, to feel the ball ends of the strings locate properly in the pin groove and against the underside of the body.

You definitely want the pins tight for tone and tuning stability.

Sometimes the pins get tight simply because the wood has swelled a little with summer weather/humidity changes. I was told that it doesn't hurt anything to reach in and push them out.

Glad to hear from someone else with the same problem. Did you replace the pins? I'm going to try another set and see. I plan on using the guitar on my gigs and can't see detuning and pushing pins up during a set. By the way what strings are you using? I tired a set of Martin Lifespan lights - not sure I'll keep them on. I normally use John Pearse new mediums on my other guitars. Thanks!

Back