Bridge pickup too bright, neck pickup too dark

Torstein

I have a custom 24 with 5-way rotary and 59/09. For my bridge pickup lead tone I like having the tone on about 5 or lower. For neck pickup tones I like the tone knob much higher. I'm used to a strat and having 2 tone knobs! So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Maybe disconnect the tone knob from the neck pickup?

Stacked tone knob with 500k/250k? I don't really know how these work.

Or, maybe change the pickups? I like the 59/09s but not in love with them.

Stacked tone knob isn't a bad idea.

That's one of the nice things about the newer PRS pickups - the 58/15's I've used in a couple guitars have a certain emphasis that doesn't get lost even when the tone knob is turned down.

Although the 59/09's are fantastic pickups... if they're covered, and you pull them, let me know...

I tweak pickup heights endlessly, so I feel I've done enough there. I put the pole screws relative to the output of the string. Maybe I could try heightening them to get more treble from the neck pickup? And lowering them on the bridge.

Also, I've read somewhere that's it's possible to use a resistor on the bridge pickup only to darken it, but don't know anything about resistors really.

I had the standard tone knob on my Telecaster replaced with a stacked tone knob years ago. As far as I was concerned it was the missing piece. (I didn't do it, the tech I go to did it for me).

The bottom knob is the tone for the neck pickup and the top knob is for the bridge pickup.

Last edited:
As already suggested, I would start by adjusting the pickups--in particular (for your situation) moving the treble-side of the bridge pickup away from the strings a bit, and the bass-side of the neck pickup away from the strings. After that, maybe keep going with the other half: shift the bass-side of the bridge pickup up towards the strings, and the treble side of the neck pickup up. Baby steps here, though--adjust a little at a time (maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the screwdriver at a time) and use your ears; it's a fine-tuning EQ process.

Beyond that, yeah it could be that you don't prefer the 59/09 pickups (I don't either). Would you describe yourself as more of a "vintage, lower-gain" kind of player? If so, consider some 57/08's--they're similar but less-intense than the 59/09's.

I'd move the tone knob to bridge only. How often do you use the tone knob on a neck humbucker?

Or, on one of my guitars I have a push pull tone knob. When down, it connects to bridge only. When up, it connects to both pickups.
Pull-push tone knob, that's brilliant!

I'll sometimes roll off the tone on the neck pickup to get a more jazzy sound. So I use it quite a bit, come to think of it.

As already suggested, I would start by adjusting the pickups--in particular (for your situation) moving the treble-side of the bridge pickup away from the strings a bit, and the bass-side of the neck pickup away from the strings. After that, maybe keep going with the other half: shift the bass-side of the bridge pickup up towards the strings, and the treble side of the neck pickup up. Baby steps here, though--adjust a little at a time (maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the screwdriver at a time) and use your ears; it's a fine-tuning EQ process.

Beyond that, yeah it could be that you don't prefer the 59/09 pickups (I don't either). Would you describe yourself as more of a "vintage, lower-gain" kind of player? If so, consider some 57/08's--they're similar but less-intense than the 59/09's.
I'm all over the place really when it comes to gain. But not metal high gain, that's for sure. Maybe the 5909s are a bit too much, I don't know. Maybe I'll go with a lower wind next time I'm changing pickups.

When you're saying the treble side of the bridge pickup, are you referring to the screws?

When you're saying the treble side of the bridge pickup, are you referring to the screws?
No, primarily I'm talking about adjusting via the height-adjustment/mounting screw off the side of the pickup (on the pickup ring). This is where you'd primarily dial-in your pickup heights. The ones on the pickup itself are more for very fine adjustments of string-to-string balance.

Have you tried setting the pickup heights?, how about adjusting the poles? These are adjustments I make to every guitar and you’d be surprised how much flexibility it affords you.
My DGT WL was set up to PRS specs when I bought it new last fall. And I chose it over 20 other PRS’s because of its tone, vibe and lighter weight…… After playing it for a while (to get used to its sounds), I found that the bridge was a bit on the bright side and the neck was a bit undefined in the humbucker settings. Single coil settings were fine.. so I lowered the polepieces to almost flush on the bridge pickup and also raised it closer to the strings….perfect…
the neck pickup i also lowered the polepieces just 1 turn and also raised the pickup… made a big difference.
the guitar is very balanced now..…. The bridge pu is fuller sounding and the neck is more powerful and less undefined, which is exactly what I was looking for.
Maybe try what I did to mine and see if you like it……

Last edited:
No, primarily I'm talking about adjusting via the height-adjustment/mounting screw off the side of the pickup (on the pickup ring). This is where you'd primarily dial-in your pickup heights. The ones on the pickup itself are more for very fine adjustments of string-to-string balance.
Of course, a little light headed today!
I usually have the treble side about 1/64" higher than the bass side, that's the sweet spot I've found balance wise with these pickups. I've read that raising the pole screws will bring out more treble in the neck pickup, might try that.

My DGT WL was set up to PRS specs when I bought it new last fall. And I chose it over 20 other PRS’s because of its tone, vibe and lighter weight…… After playing it for a while (to get used to its sounds), I found that the bridge was a bit on the bright side and the neck was a bit undefined in the humbucker settings. Single coil settings were fine.. so I lowered the polepieces to almost flush on the bridge pickup and also raised it closer to the strings….perfect…
the neck pickup i also lowered the polepieces just 1 turn and also raised the pickup… made a big difference.
the guitar is very balanced now..…. The bridge pu is fuller sounding and the neck is more powerful and less undefined, which is exactly what I was looking for.
I'll tweak more with the pole pieces. I have them set like this:

Which pickups are in it? I've been close to changing pickups several times, but afraid to get some who doesn't sound good with the 5 way rotary. Though the split coil sounds are usable at best right now.

It sounds like you are going through many ways to attempt to fit a square peg into a round hole. To me, it sounds like you simply do not like the pickups. Do you have other pickups to try already or are you interested in a particular pickup at this point?

I'll tweak more with the pole pieces. I have them set like this:

Which pickups are in it? I've been close to changing pickups several times, but afraid to get some who doesn't sound good with the 5 way rotary. Though the split coil sounds are usable at best right now.
The pickups in my DGT are the DGT’s only used in that model….
I’ve tried those polepiece settings from Haze Guitars and it didn’t work for my instruments… at all……good in theory, not in real life……..every electric has its own resonance and wood tones, so its really the individual guitar that you have to set the pickup adjustments to…and the pickups you have or chose to change…
for example, I have a CE Santana that I recently purchased and love the guitar, neck ect but not the pickups so I just put a set of 245 pickups in but they were boomy in the bass..
To keep it balanced, the bass side of the bridge pickup is lower than the treble side, and again, it was a bit bright so I lowered all the polepieces to level but the high E string was louder so I lowered that polepiece even more and brought the B and G poles up a bit….it sounds good now.. And your amp and speakers are another part of the equation……and of course your playing style and genres of music you play.. lots of variables……
Any set of pickups you use will have their own personality and it’s your ears that will will tell you what you need to do to adjust it
just my opinion..

Last edited:
I've used adding a capacitor with good results when the tweaking of the height and pole pieces didn't cut it.

Sometimes a good pickup is just not right for YOU.

There are a million out there and asking opinions sometimes is of no value.

To me, it sounds like you want more MIDS out of the bridge. I am a CU24 guy and use Suhr Aldrich pups in many of my guitars. They are like the best PRS pups but do it all for me. Even though they are listed at higher ratings they can do it all not just harder stuff. Not too bad price wise either.

I have a custom 24 with 5-way rotary and 59/09. For my bridge pickup lead tone I like having the tone on about 5 or lower. For neck pickup tones I like the tone knob much higher. I'm used to a strat and having 2 tone knobs! So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Maybe disconnect the tone knob from the neck pickup?

Stacked tone knob with 500k/250k? I don't really know how these work.

Or, maybe change the pickups? I like the 59/09s but not in love with them.
I'll take the 5909s if you decide to. Sell.

Back