Breaking Down the PRS Lines to Help You Pick What's Right For You

littlebadboy

I chanced on a article on Reverb.com which I thought was a great read!

I'm fairly new to the PRS Universe and I learned some new things. I have an S2, and I didn't know that it actually stands for Stevensille 2, where the PRS factory is located.

An excerpt from the article:
There are many different models out there, spanning nearly every price bracket. There are PRS guitars well-suited to beginners, as well as super high-end collector’s pieces. We’ll go through all of the ranges and explain what some of the phrases that you’ll often see in the guitar’s title mean. PRS do also make basses and amps, but here, we’ll just be going through their guitars.

The whole article is here:
A Guide to Paul Reed Smith Guitars

Enjoy reading! I think this would be a great read for both newbies and experts alike!

Overall a pretty good sales piece for PRS, working from the SE's upward.

However though... what it says regarding the core Custom 22:
"Because it’s got two fewer frets, the harmonics ring out at different points on the neck, so the resulting sound is different when compared to a Custom 24, even acoustically."
Just no. It's still a 25-inch-scale guitar, all 22 frets are harmonically in the same place. Still shaking my head. (The world still needs to learn how 22 fret guitars become 24, or vice-versa, with the same scale length.)

Overall a pretty good sales piece for PRS, working from the SE's upward.

However though... what it says regarding the core Custom 22:
"Because it’s got two fewer frets, the harmonics ring out at different points on the neck, so the resulting sound is different when compared to a Custom 24, even acoustically."
Just no. It's still a 25-inch-scale guitar, all 22 frets are harmonically in the same place. Still shaking my head. (The world still needs to learn how 22 fret guitars become 24, or vice-versa, with the same scale length.)
Well ... sorta?

I mean, the neck is shorter, and therefore stiffer for the same size of neck, so there's going to be a bit of acoustic difference, but saying "Harmonics ring out at different points on the neck" is really really really really really really stretching it.

Last edited:
I also disagree with the reverb statement. Mine have the same harmonic nodes regardless of the number of frets.

Back