Help identifying this PRS please

lahearn

Hello - I have read through the FAQ/history documents on the PRS web site but have not been able to identify this guitar's model. Here are the details:

24 fret with moon inlays
Double cut
painted body front sides and back, painted neck back, all silver
Volume and tone knobs, 3 way switch, tone switch pops out to split coils
tuners have the arrows on them, labeled PRS on the back
set neck
Serial Number - "O 49271" (I believe was made in 2000)

I'm guessing a Standard 24, but the ones I see online have flamed tops and transparent finished necks, so I'm still confused. Interestingly there is also a 1997 locally that is all painted rather than any transparent finishes, which I believe is a standard 22, but again have not located any info on the PRS site about these all painted up guitars.

Pup and neck profile info would be helpful as well.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks, Leo in Denver.

Last edited:
Seems like it could be a Standard 24. Flamed tops, trans finishes, birds, etc. usually equate to a Custom. I've known of people that have had Customs with moons. As far as pickups, I'd guess HFS/VB. Could be wrong though.

Sounds like a Standard 24 to me. "Standard" on a PRS means all mahogany, so the ones you've seen with flamed tops aren't Standards. However, PRS does do solid finishes on guitars with maple tops from time to time, so it might not be. If it's a Standard 24 from 2000, it's probably HFS/VB pickups, and either Regular or Wide Thin neck. However, since you have the serial number, if you send it to PRS they should be able to confirm the details of how it was when it left the factory...I'm guessing it left the factory with the 5-wat rotary pickup selector, and that's been switched to the 3-way switch and push pull pot, a pretty common mod.

Thanks - been poking around on the PRS site and didn't find any contact info yet for asking them to help identify the guitar, hence the reason I'm here in the forums, thinking maybe they monitored rather than taking direct requests.

If it's labeled a PRS on the back of the headstock it's an SE. The Core serial numbers do not have a letter to start them. The letter is a year identifier on the SEs. O would indicate 2014

EDIT: I take this back. Just re-read the OP. The moons and the wing tuners wouldn't be on an SE. I assume the "arrows" on the tuners mean the winged style tuners?

Got any pics? Or a link to if it's for sale somewhere?

Thanks - been poking around on the PRS site and didn't find any contact info yet for asking them to help identify the guitar, hence the reason I'm here in the forums, thinking maybe they monitored rather than taking direct requests.

Anytime I buy a used PRS I take the S/N and just call them directly. They have always been kind enough to help me out by giving me the info I need to make an educated decision. Now I know enough that the only time I call is if something is being advertised as Artist Package or higher. My point? PRS' CS is awesome. Just call them up and they can tell you what you need.

What number do you call? I looked over the entire site and didn’t fine one.

Contact info is on this page, it is a little counter-intuitive to find: https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/

You already have the phone number above, but if you're like me and prefer to email it's [email protected]

Last time I sent them an email at 10 pm I had a response by 9 am...

2000 still had wings but with phase II looking backs, if I am not mistaken.
The have just dropped the shared D&G screws at that time. My guess is it's a 2000 Standard 24 in silver metallic.

Thanks guys - I ended up buying a 2007 McCarty Standard 24. Got the HFS/VB pickups along with some transparency to the finish so I can see the nice mahogany underneath the guitar is made of. The opaque automotive finish just didn't do it for me.

Thanks guys - I ended up buying a 2007 McCarty Standard 24. Got the HFS/VB pickups along with some transparency to the finish so I can see the nice mahogany underneath the guitar is made of. The opaque automotive finish just didn't do it for me.
Sweet!

Cool! Let's see it.

Here it is - I've had a chance to play it for about an hour and a half. What can I say that hasn't already been said - super happy with the PUPs on it, rides my leg just fine sitting down, 12th fret is exactly where my hand thinks it should be, comfortable bending right away.... super happy with it.

You'll laugh when I tell you I only have a Blackstar HT-1R plus a 1-12 cabinet at this point, but it really is a good sounding versatile amp. Crank the tone knob full right, crank the guitar volume wide open and tone wide open, go rear pickup only, and it sounds just like a Gibson PAF driving a Marshall JCM (to me at least). The clean twang ain't no Tele, but it is so expressive and produces such a wide dynamic of sound based on touch that you can make some real hay with it in twang mode. The ear adjusts and it at least sounds appropriate, if not 100% authentic, for the twangs.

The in between positions - man, it's been a while since I've had a strat, and I've never had a great sounding one, but right off this thing out strats any strat I've had when in positions 2 and 4 on a strat. This thing is complex overtone by accident in my hands at this time; I hope to learn to direct it better in the future.

It will overdrive the amp (and my phaser) when trying to be clean, so dialing back the volume to 8 is now common for me. Still, it just adds to the dynamic ability of this thing, still expressive when dialed back a bit. I've run the tone all over the place too; it'll dial in a nice jazzy tone that is still dynamic, not muted and muffled.

Man I really like this thing. Glad I could find a real PRS Core guitar that is great to play and look at at a reasonable price.

(looks like I can't attach images - will get it saved on the web and add a link later)

Back