Brazilian Rosewood vs Standard Rosewood

barnabas_

I am in the market for a core 24-08. I'm trying to be patient and wait for the color I want which is a 10 top Cobalt Blue. They should be releasing more of them in May or June from what I am told. However I am intrigued by this wood library with a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. While not totally the color I wanted I am intrigued by the fretboard. Does anyone know anything about the tonality of the Brazilian Rosewood, or whether it would be something I wouldn't want to pass on as opposed to having the standard Rosewood fretboard?

Last edited:
Lol I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or do you mean that I'll be happier with it in the long run?
Brazilian is “cool” but it doesn’t like, totally change the tone of the guitar or anything. There’s a bigger difference with ebony or maple, I’ve owned the same model of guitars with Brazilian and Indian rosewood and… there’s essentially zero tonal difference.

Get the guitar you want.

Brazilian is “cool” but it doesn’t like, totally change the tone of the guitar or anything. There’s a bigger difference with ebony or maple, I’ve owned the same model of guitars with Brazilian and Indian rosewood and… there’s essentially zero tonal difference.

Get the guitar you want.
^^This^^

I have only owned custom 22s since around 2001 or so. One of them had the Brazzy board. And though, I still feel like it was the "one that got away", it wasn't because it "sounded" different than the others. The one that had the Dragon 1 pups was different than the others, but the board didn't make any difference. (She sure was purty though......*sigh*)

All three of these have Brazilian. Honestly I can’t tell with the tone, but I sure do love Brazilian for grain patterns and such.

a4g3UdR.jpg

^^This^^

I have only owned custom 22s since around 2001 or so. One of them had the Brazzy board. And though, I still feel like it was the "one that got away", it wasn't because it "sounded" different than the others. The one that had the Dragon 1 pups was different than the others, but the board didn't make any difference. (She sure was purty though......*sigh*)

I have Dragon 1’s in my Blue Standard. It’s such an incredible combo.

I’m one who normally doesn’t get all wrapped up in huge tonal differences in wood (even though they exist). I think pickups and amps are much more of a factor than wood types. That said, I find BRW to have incredible sustain (and I can feel it in my hands). Still, IRW necks are great, too. For feel, they both rock!

Since the WL in question has Brazzy only for the FB, with a regular hog neck, I don't think (IMHO) it will impact tone all that much compared to a "regular" IRW FB. It should feel different though - smoother, slicker, somehow. And look nice too!

Now if the whole neck was Brazzy, then what @11top says would probably make sense, especially vs the hog neck. I should note I can't say specifically about Brazzy necks, I have no experience with Brazzy necks, only IRW necks (and just one at that).

I have a wood library artist 24-08 with a Brazilian fretboard and Indian rosewood neck. I also have a Fiore and a Custom 22 wood library with a rosewood neck. Prior to those I had 11 others core PRS’. The 24-08 is the best of all of them!

OP,

Conventional Internet Wisdom concurs with the above: That with just a fingerboard, you really can't tell any tonal difference.

I'm here to say that if you ever happen across a guitar with a solid rosewood neck, versus mahogany ... oh, that's a big difference. Very different ride.

But I'll leave it to the others here as to whether a solid Indian RW neck sounds or plays much different from a Brazilian RW neck.

=K

But I'll leave it to the others here as to whether a solid Indian RW neck sounds or plays much different from a Brazilian RW neck.
I don’t find the two play very differently. Feel is pretty close. My cocobolo is glossy and does feel different.

As far as sound, my Brazilian neck has a bit more of a bottom end bias. That might not be the same for every guitar.

Back