Books and movies.

Currently listening to the audiobook of The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

Also listening to an audiobook from the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy setting cause I am a DnD dork and proud of it. Ask me about my DnD PS themed ideas...the dork is bad, hahaha.

Also working through a book on Axure for work.

Did you read any of Terry Brooks' Shannara books?

By the way, this thread is way easier on my wallet than GAS!

I have not. I will Google.

I read Sword of Shannara way back in the early 80's after reading Lord of the Rings. I was looking for something along those lines (as were my fellow DnD playing buddies), and found it. It's expanded a lot since then. I think there are 25 or so books linked to Shannara these days. The original trilogy was very good (IMO).

NERD! (throws your multi-sided dice and figurines across the library and high-fives another dude wearing a letterman's jacket before making out with a cheerleader) :p

Dude...pot, kettle, black!

I don't picture you as the letterman's jacket type. Scarfing the skanky cheerleader, yes (no offense to those of us that dated, boofed and/or married cheerleaders). Besides, back the 80s, stoners played DnD too. :cool:

Dude...pot, kettle, black!

I don't picture you as the letterman's jacket type. Scarfing the skanky cheerleader, yes (no offense to those of us that dated, boofed and/or married cheerleaders). Besides, back the 80s, stoners played DnD too. :cool:

Ha! Busted... I was a skinny vegetarian straightedge kid in the 80's. :oops:

I've not long finished the martian, I thought it was really entertaining. I normally read Scandinavian crime thrillers, Jo Nesbo being my all time favourite author. Got given Eric Claptons biography from a guy at work so I'll be reading that soon and I've also had Nikki Sixx's first book sat on the book shelf for over two years so thats on my list to read too.

There's a movie made from that, right? If so, I should check it out... that film seemed like it had a pretty intense Burroughs-like vibe.
Yeah, they both have that vibe, but they go off in completely different directions. (Yes, I've read the book and seen the movie.)

Oh, and let's just get this out of the way -- the book is always better. (With very few exceptions -- The Shawshank Redemption being the most notable.) That's why I watch the movies first.

Last edited:
I thought the book, The Martian, was good, but not great. I'm sure I'll watch the movie at some point, but I can't imagine it being as good as the book.

I just finished Crimson Beach, by Preston and Childs. I love the whole Pendergast series.

Ordinary Grace is the best book I've read in the past year. It's by William Kent Krueger. His Cork O'Conner series are very good too.

If you haven't read Nelson DeMille's novels, RUN to the library. Nobody is better, IMO.

Agree about DeMille. excellent reads. I am on a huge James patterson kick, bought a large box of them at the library book sale and have been plowing through them, they arent literary works of art but fun reads. Once a decade i go back and re-read some Isaac Asimov stuff especially the robot series books and his book of short stories 'Welcome to The Monkey House' which was terrific.

Biographies I highly recommend:

The Beatles by Bob Spitz. Spoiler: Yoko was a HUGE factor in the Beatles breakup.
Paul McCartney A Life by Peter A Carlin
Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney by Howard Sounes
Here Comes The Sun: The Spiritual and Musical Journey of George Harrison by Joshua M. Greene
George Harrison: Living in the Material World by Olivia Harrison and Mark Holborn
The Ringo Starr Encyclopedia by Bill Harry
Kicking and Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul, and Rock and Roll by Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson
Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored by Richard Cole
Comfortably Numb: The Inside Story of Pink Floyd by Mark Blake
Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?: A Rock 'n' Roll Memoir by Steven Tyler
What a cool list! I haven't read many of the Beatles-related ones, so thanks very much.

I read the Ann and Nancy book. I thought it was a good book, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. It seemed very ghost written to me, but I could be completely wrong about that.

What did you think of the Richard Cole book? I liked it myself. If you're into Led Zeppelin and haven't read it yet, you might enjoy the one about Peter Grant. It's "Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin" by Chris Welch.

Goldtop Lloyd

I liked the Cole book. It had all the irreverence of the band. Same attitude as the Steven Tyler book.

I'll have to look for the Peter Grant book. I like getting more than one perspective in biographies.

I liked the Heart book, it didn't seem ghost written to me, bug I've only seen them a couple of times in cancers and never met them, so I don't know.

For the Beatles, start with Spitz's monster thick black book. It seemed to be the most complete to me.

I liked the Cole book. It had all the irreverence of the band. Same attitude as the Steven Tyler book.

I'll have to look for the Peter Grant book. I like getting more than one perspective in biographies.

I liked the Heart book, it didn't seem ghost written to me, bug I've only seen them a couple of times in cancers and never met them, so I don't know.

For the Beatles, start with Spitz's monster thick black book. It seemed to be the most complete to me.
I have that Spitz book but I've never read it, I need to get to it.

Again, that was just my take on the Wilson's book, and I could be totally wrong about it. Great background on the band either way.

I've got one in the stack called "Back to The Garden: The Story of Woodstock and How It Changed a Generation" by Pete Fornatale. Have you read it?

Lloyd

I downloaded the Peter Grant book and immediately got lost in it. I've been reading it non-stop since my last post.

VERY entertaining! Thanks for the hookup, Lloyd!

I downloaded the Peter Grant book and immediately got lost in it. I've been reading it non-stop since my last post.

VERY entertaining! Thanks for the hookup, Lloyd!
My pleasure. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Lloyd

...Brandon Sanderson is prolific ...
Damn, Words of Radiance may be the thickest book I've ever seen in paperback, and I've read Neal Stephenson and Tad Williams. I bought Way of Kings to get me started. Probably should have stuck with Mistborn.

Not sure if I've said this before, but I'm alright with Young Adult -- a lot of the urban fantasy I read seems targeted there, and even one of my favourite authors, Kelley Armstrong, seems to be writing for that nowadays (although I have to admit I prefer the Women of the Otherworld series). So much so that I can't seem to watch the movies -- no interest in the Indignant series of movies or whatever it's called, or the Maize Runner...

Damn, Words of Radiance may be the thickest book I've ever seen in paperback, and I've read Neal Stephenson and Tad Williams. I bought Way of Kings to get me started. Probably should have stuck with Mistborn.

Mistborn is good, but the ones you got are the best for epic fantasy type stuff, IMO. They're vaguely related though, so you might want to read both eventually. I haven't seen Words of Radiance in paperback, but I'm not too surprised it's enormous. :)

If you can't devote enough time to reading to get through some of the longer books in a reasonable time, you could also consider audio books. With member credits you can get almost all of the books we've talked about for $10-15 each, and while a lot of them may take 20-40 hours to listen to, I can do a lot of things while listening - as long as the other tasks don't require a lot of thought.

Tad Williams is also working on a new follow up to a series he wrote like 20 years ago, so keep an eye out for that. Also, the last two books in that series (To Green Angel Tower) were supposed to be one originally, as were the most recent books in ASoIaF, so they would probably have been larger than Words of Radiance if they hadn't been split. :)

I'm alright with Young Adult -- a lot of the urban fantasy I read seems targeted there, and even one of my favourite authors, Kelley Armstrong, seems to be writing for that nowadays (although I have to admit I prefer the Women of the Otherworld series).
She stopped the Otherworld at Thirteen, except for short stories now and then. She did 3 hit woman books (Nadia Stafford). That had quite a different flavour and were fun lighter reads. That run wasn't young adult.

Back