Bird inlay confusion questions

SkyHigh

I believe PRS discontinued solid ablone birds few years ago. Now I see some birds with white inside and some with more brownish/cream inside. Are there different types of birds for current models?

Second, would PRS change the standard current production bird with solid ablone birds? How much would it cost?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

SkyHigh said:
I believe PRS discontinued solid abalone birds few years ago.
Separating the specified material (abalone) from the question for a moment, yes... PRS moved from a solid bird on production guitars to a hollow "jay bird" design. Later, that hollow bird was inlayed with several different materials - depending on model. The SC58, as an example, has birds that are Mother of Pearl and Paua Heart. They look solid at a distance but are quite detailed up close.

SkyHigh said:
Now I see some birds with white inside and some with more brownish/cream inside. Are there different types of birds for current models?
Yes. Start here (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=227) then you have some basis for more specific questions.

SkyHigh said:
Second, would PRS change the standard current production bird with solid abalone birds?
By "change" do you mean change the inlay AFTER the guitar is produced? Many models come with different inlay options. The Stripped SC58, as an example, has the hollow birds and the earthy-colored composite filling but the standard SC58 comes with the MOP and Paua Heart I mentioned earlier.

SkyHigh said:
How much would it cost?
If you want to order a guitar with the inlay option you desire, contact your local dealer for a price. The new Artist Package program opens the door for a lot of customization that was previously unavailable.

If you want to change inlay on a guitar already produced, contact the PTC for a quote.

SkyHigh said:
Has anyone done this?
yes. Give this a look (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=254).

Back