Bigsby's

Iceman101

There's always room for one more.....
In this Covid-19 Times I thought I'd post this. One Stray Cat on board :cool:
7R4s9Fx.jpg

Everyone should own at least one! They provide the only sound that I can't get out of my PRS.

Also, that's a sweet array of instruments.

You're right. A Gretsch has a sound of its own. Perhaps the PS with Bigsby come close, but I can't afford one of those :eek:

God.... the first time you change strings is an event! In case I haven’t told y’all, I love this guitar.
If you use A capo it's not so hard. I lead the string under the lower bar first and bend the strings at the ball end with a small set of pliers.

If you use A capo it's not so hard. I lead the string under the lower bar first and bend the strings at the ball end with a small set of pliers.

I got the hang of it by the last few strings, but the first one had me sweating! I’ll have to try your capo trick next time.

You know, I don’t know why it surprised me, considering a Bigsby adds about an extra 6” of string behind the bridge, but it adds a considerable amount of extra string tension to the feel.

Perhaps I’m just a wuss because I’m so used to the shorter scale length of my Santana shaped guitars, but I may put .009’s on next time.

In this Covid-19 Times I thought I'd post this. One Stray Cat on board :cool:
7R4s9Fx.jpg
Yes, yes I have!

VDsEPbG.jpg

God.... the first time you change strings is an event! In case I haven’t told y’all, I love this guitar.

Drool worthy!

I've always loved the look of Bigsby's but never took the plunge until late last year and now I own 2 guitars so equipped.
A couple of quick tips if I may:
1. Only change one string at a time if possible. My first change I wanted to condition the fretboard so I took them all off, and yeah it was a 2 beer and blue air string change for sure.
2. Pre-bend the string ball end around a pencil or similar diameter object. This makes it easier to keep the string on the Bigsby peg.
3. Remember those old pink erasers from elementary school? They are just the right size to shove under the back of the Bigsby to keep the string on the peg as you wind from the other end. There's also the string ray tool, but most of us have those erasers lying around in a drawer anyway, so...
4. Reverend soft spring. Best $10 you'll ever spend on your Bigsby. The amount of control vs the regular spring is awesome, at least IMO and now both of my Bigsby guitars have them.
5. Roller bridge. This one is up to you, some like them and some don't. I have one guitar with, one without and the one with definitely has smoother Bigsby action and the tuning is a bit more stable as well. The big issue is some say you lose "tone" with a roller bridge, but honestly I can't tell a difference.

3. Remember those old pink erasers from elementary school? They are just the right size to shove under the back of the Bigsby to keep the string on the peg as you wind from the other end. There's also the string ray tool, but most of us have those erasers lying around in a drawer anyway, so...
.[/QUOTE]

Bryan Ewald recommends foam earplugs :p He made a vid about them

Last edited:
Back