Best way to remove/reduce pick scratches

Keith B.

Hi. Any suggestions here about best ways to remove or even just reduce the typical pick scratches that tend to be found on most well used/loved guitars, namely in that area below the pickups?

I'd love to know if there are 'home remedies' that have been tried and worked, other than using a buffing wheel/equipment (that I don't have). Are there automotive type scratch removal products that people use with good success? Maybe buffing by hand, or perhaps a consumer handheld buffing attachment?

Thanks in advance. I have my eye on something that just has a bit more wear than I would usually want to see, so hoping I can clean that baby right up.

Hi there,

I have had good results with toothpaste, just a dab and use a damp microfibre cloth, it’s very gentle and can take several applications but it does the trick.

hope this helps

I use Meguars scratch X in the automotive section for fine scratches. It works great. I've used the toothpaste method before for watch crystals but never a guitar.

IIRC, a lot of 'pick scratches' are actually from fingernails. Right hand technique and trimming your nails can help cut down on them, once you've removed the old ones.

IIRC, a lot of 'pick scratches' are actually from fingernails. Right hand technique and trimming your nails can help cut down on them, once you've removed the old ones.

This. I've observed carefully, and it's my fingernails that are going all over the place across the top of the guitar, not the pick. I mean think about a little bit -- if your pick is traveling that randomly across 1-3 inches of the face of that guitar, you're flailing!

Indeed... I just prefer to create my own scars and tattoos... may need to clean up some else's mess on a previously loved unit. I'm considering the scratch x.

For years I’ve been using the same automotive grade Turtle brand rubbing and polishing compounds as NoisyDante has. They’ve always worked great on guitar finishes.

I used toothpaste to spackle the dings my roommate and I put into the drywall of our freshman year dorm room at Berklee. I made us slingshots and we were shooting nickels at a bushel of bananas we hung from a string over our third roommates bed while he was away. We didn’t like him much. Toothpaste seemed to work, we were never questioned or billed for damage. Good times.

I guess that pretty much sums up my title phrase.

UPDATE - I just received the Player's Kit yesterday and tried it on the back of a Black guitar. Short version - I'm impressed. Easy and pretty effective. One application of first red, then blue. Removed high volume of scratches but still a bit swirly... will try multiple applications, but so far so good.
https://www.amazon.com/Players-Guitar-Scratch-Remover-Eternashine/dp/B008NRF8R2

This is what i use...but i buy direct from the guitarscratchremover site. The wax and detail spray are amazing as well. It's all I use now on everything...buddies ask me to clean up their guitars. I even made one guy cry when I returned his dirty pick scratched guitar looking like a new guitar.

So has anybody used the electrostatic clear sheets? I understand that they are to NOT be left on the guitar, but put on only while playing (which I am fine with). Taylor makes some as do several other companies. Aside from better right hand technique and trimmed finger nails, this seems like it would be a good preventive measure. Love to hear all your thoughts.

Thanks
MW

So has anybody used the electrostatic clear sheets? I understand that they are to NOT be left on the guitar, but put on only while playing (which I am fine with). Taylor makes some as do several other companies. Aside from better right hand technique and trimmed finger nails, this seems like it would be a good preventive measure. Love to hear all your thoughts.

Thanks
MW
This is an interesting idea. I wonder if these sheets dampen the resonance of the guitar body...

Back