Best SE mods?

RobG

Hey... so, I read through quite a bit of the big SE Mods thread, but a lot of it went over my head, so I thought I would post separately. I'm new to guitars (only been playing -- if you can call it that -- since Memorial Day). My first electric is my 2014 PRS SE Custom 24 that I bought used from Guitar Center. I lucked out because it's absolutely MINT.

Anyway, it wasn't until a month ago that I bought a new Gretsch 5622T and discovered that my PRS doesn't sound anywhere near as nice. I run the same strings on both (10's on the Gretsch, 9's on the PRS) and both strings are new. Same amp, of course.

I've been in love with the CE 24 since it came out and I saw some great demo videos on YouTube, but it's just not in the budget right now. The Gretsch was 1/3 the price of a CE 24. :)

So... I'm on the verge of getting new pickups for the SE, and maybe a nut too. I saw the PRS store has nuts but I'm not sure if they'll fit my SE, and which one to get for that matter. For pickups, $300+ for the Starlas is more than I want to spend. I've been looking at "Whisky Burners" from Craig Vinehame (http://www.vineham.com/humbucker_pickups.html).

Anything else I should consider in addition to or in place of this stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

You bought used? As first recommendation you should check the pickup heights - maybe at a guitar shop's workshop.
Then you COULD exchange the nut. If you'll buy PRS nuts (USA) those for Wide Thin neck profiles are required. SE came as a rule with Wide Thin.

The PRS USA wide-thin/wide-fat nut is a replacement. There will be a sight gap on the side away from the fret board. I would recommend you have it installed by a professional luthier. It is the single best mod you can do. I always change the tuners to Hipshot open back locking tuners. They`re USA made and my very favorite ever. The pickups are very tunable. I`D suggest you adjust them before replacing them. Don`t expect the PRS to sound like a Gretsch. you should need to do different amp settings for each guitar. I have several different PRS. I need to retweak the amp for each one. The real big difference I hear with the 24 is that, when properly set up, the notes above the 12th fret are better than anything I`ve played. Clearer, cleaner, with more sustain. Each guitar should exist in different sonic spaces. I also have an old CE 24 that I love. The SE will never sound like the 2003 CE. They both sound great, so they both get played regularly. Above all, have any work done by a professional luthier. Big box stores cannot afford to pay a real luthier what he/she is worth. There are lots of good ones. Don`t succumb to convenience. It took me 50 years to figure that out.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm about to have a custom bone nut made for my Gretsch (since everytime I touch the Bigsby it goes hopelessly out of tune until I re-lube the nut EACH TIME), so I will then have the luthier that's going to do that one (NOT a big box store) look at my PRS. I did have it checked my the tech at GC when I first got it and at the very least, things were in decent shape according to them, but who knows.

Since the PRS nut is pretty inexpensive, I will probably get that fairly soon, but I will talk with my setup guy first.

I love the guitar... it's trampas green with the black back... have not seen that color combination anywhere on the 'net. All the other trampas greens I've seen have a natural back and neck.

Any suggestions on amp setup for it? I'm using a Blackstar id:core 40 (V1, not the new V2).

What pickups are in the Gretsch? You may just prefer those Fidelitron/Filtertron -type pickups. The closest PRS has is the one in the Vela. You may want to consider some TV Jones, they make 'em in a humbucker sized shape. See here young man.

Thanks, always good to know various pickup options.

I'm not trying to make my PRS sound like the Gretsch; it's just that right now it sounds very flat. Not lively. I loved the sound of the CE 24. The 85/15's on it sound awesome coupled with the bolt-on neck. I'll absolutely admit I'm not entirely sure what I want, so I figured I'd post here before throwing money at it. :)

Definitely appreciating the suggestions!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did you use the Vinehams after? If so how do they sound?

I have an SE Singlecut that I got some used SE Tremonti pickups for. Definitely a good blast from the spice weasel.

MealyRipeGreatwhiteshark-size_restricted.gif

I've got an older SE Custom 24 that I picked up used (not sure what year) that definitely didn't have the
85/15's they use in them now. I'm not sure what year they started putting the 85/15's in the SE Custom 24's.
I recently put Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (4 conductor as the SE Custom has tone control pop up splitting capability)
pickups in it and it made a HUGE difference.
I was looking for something less output/less hot than the stock ones, and it definitely fit that bill. Stock nut on mine works fine
even using the trem.

Back