Basement Room Project

Thanks. The key is to really understand what the desired end goal is, and to focus your budget on that.

I've seen guys spend $100, $1000, and $10000, and not be happy with the results. I'd say the most expensive build I've helped with and experienced was over $30k for the box, and it's impressive. It's not perfect, but dude loves to watch movies at 110dB, and you really can't hear much directly above the theater. The walls still shake though. :D

I've seen guys spend $100, $1000, and $10000, and be happy.

Thanks. The key is to really understand what the desired end goal is, and to focus your budget on that.

I've seen guys spend $100, $1000, and $10000, and not be happy with the results. I'd say the most expensive build I've helped with and experienced was over $30k for the box, and it's impressive. It's not perfect, but dude loves to watch movies at 110dB, and you really can't hear much directly above the theater. The walls still shake though. :D

I've seen guys spend $100, $1000, and $10000, and be happy.

I’m very happy with our music room. Can you hear the band practice? Yes. Is it significantly less than the volume level inside? Absolutely.

Do the neighbours complain? No. Well apart from one, who insists on having their sliding doors open in December. Don’t ask!!

Last edited:
I’m very happy with our music room. Can you hear the band practice? Yes. Is it significantly less than the volume level inside? Absolutely.

Do the neighbours complain? No. Well apart from one, who insists on having there sliding doors open in December. Don’t ask!!

Yeah, and that's really the key: a solid understanding of your goal and budget.

This is a link to my Bandmix page- I have a song (cover of Somebody Like you- 38 Special) on the site- and I need a vocalist to finish it. I did all of the music/mixing and it's ready for a vocal. I don't have the range for it ( listen to the stone temple pilot song here and you'll see!LOL)
If anyone is interested in producing a DRY mono lead vocal track for it, hit me up! I can send a high-quality /high bit rate MP3 or wave file (probably a drop box link as these files are huge) . Needs to be done at 44.1/16bit depth- I use protools, but ay wave file will work!!

I helped my buddy do his basement last winter, double layer 3/4” drywall with the isolating hangers on the ceiling, and airtight doors sealing everything off. He elected not to do the hangers on the walls, and the acoustic isolating glue was out of his budget (that stuff adds up fast), nor did he address the HVAC system.

He’s a drummer, so big, loud noises are kinda his thing. Unfortunately, while the extra work we did probably made things better than they would’ve been otherwise, he didn’t achieve the results he had hoped for. Which I kind of suspected would be the case, but I wasn’t going to give him a hard time about it, because he dropped some serious coin just with what he did do.

Given that experience, my advice: either go whole hog ($$$$$$$$), or do very little and have a realistic expectation of very little. It’s not worth doing anything in between.

You can get an awesome load box for a whole lot less than a sound isolated basement!

The room looks great!

One suggestion: No doubt you've heard this before, but just in case...The monitors should be equidistant from side walls so that the sound balances from wall reflections are even.

From the pic, it looks like your workstation is skewed to the right side of the room. However, that could just be the angle of the photo.

Here’s my guitar room. I know it pales in comparison to most of your’s, but I haven’t played in public for YEARS. I’m strictly a hobbyist who likes to shake the walls from time to time.

OSAyG9K.jpg

XV2Qpp9.jpg

yTzIFie.jpg
I find it quite nice

Back