Band escapades

Band broke up today. With all the danger on the subway it was honestly getting very scary. Singer quit and so did I! A new project is already in the making. I need a break for a couple of days or longer.

OR

Was it a setup to try and get me to quit.

One way or the other.

Going to check out and audition for an all female band. We are all the same age group there abouts

Or maybe just busk by myself. The weather has to get a bit warmer.

Break! I always say I am going to take a break from playing. but I never do. I will go home and pick up my guitar if I know me!

Last edited:
Give me an idea for something loud and simple to play. In your face stuff. I need to just get rid of the sadness that follows a situation like this.

I’m like you, the band has to be in the rehearsal room to rehearse. If you want to jam then set up a group to do that. If you’re gigging then learn the songs before and iron out any niggles during rehearsal.

I like it to be fun, but for it to be fun, people need to be comfortable and relaxed. Best way to do that? Learn your part.

Also listen to each other and keep eye contact, for any changes, endings etc.

These things are simple, but it’s amazing how lots of bands fall foul of this.
This is a huge thing for me. Rehearsal is rehearsal, not the time you learn the song. Learn your parts before rehearsal. We are there as a group to make sure we all know how to get into it and out of it together and to work out any tricky spots in the song. We are not there to help you learn your part or teach it to you. That is a waste of everyone's time there. When I end up in a situation like this, I pretty quickly say that song is not ready for rehearsal until everyone has learned their parts so we need to put that aside and play what we have all worked on. If there are no songs we need to rehearse, I pack up and go home. I usually end up being the guy that is managing the song list so I usually am in a position to say this and be able to get people on the correct path.

Eye contact and band member interaction is also something that can be worked a bit at rehearsal. You don't want to be statues playing music. That is super boring to watch.

This is a huge thing for me. Rehearsal is rehearsal, not the time you learn the song. Learn your parts before rehearsal. We are there as a group to make sure we all know how to get into it and out of it together and to work out any tricky spots in the song. We are not there to help you learn your part or teach it to you. That is a waste of everyone's time there. When I end up in a situation like this, I pretty quickly say that song is not ready for rehearsal until everyone has learned their parts so we need to put that aside and play what we have all worked on. If there are no songs we need to rehearse, I pack up and go home. I usually end up being the guy that is managing the song list so I usually am in a position to say this and be able to get people on the correct path.

Eye contact and band member interaction is also something that can be worked a bit at rehearsal. You don't want to be statues playing music. That is super boring to watch.

Working with a others in a band situation is a lot of work. So many variables to deal with. You should have practiced the song BEFORE rehearsal not during.

I would love to be in a band right now. I can’t physically do this right now.

Going back to work is enough of a struggle for me. Today is really bad. I feel like I am climbing Mt. Everest.

Working with a others in a band situation is a lot of work. So many variables to deal with. You should have practiced the song BEFORE rehearsal not during.

I would love to be in a band right now. I can’t physically do this right now.

Going back to work is enough of a struggle for me. Today is really bad. I feel like I am climbing Mt. Everest.
I hope brighter days are just around the corner for you.

I hope brighter days are just around the corner for you.
Thx Jason!! Today has been physically challenging for me. I am going to go home and go to bed. Straight to my nice warm comfy duvet and my puppies. I may even put the duvet in the dryer so it comes out toasty. I do this for my dogs. I cover them in freshly dried blankets and they melt on the spot.

I have never honestly had such a physically exhausting day.

All of this makes sense to me, but my experience is somewhat different. Maybe just because of the place and time.

The band I played with the most never rehearsed. The first time I played with them was on a stage for four sets. I knew the songs in that I had heard them on the radio, but most of them I had never played. My job was to figure out how to play along real time. Having a good enough aural memory to know when changes were coming helped a lot, as did being reasonably good at playing something safe until I knew what the actual chord transition was. I’m not sure everyone learning parts for all the songs separately would have worked for us.

All of which is to say, it depends on what you are trying to do and who you are playing with. I get the most satisfaction out of just sitting down and playing with someone. If we mesh quickly, it’s magic.

One of the best suggestions! I have been just having a blast with this song. I can’t thank you enough for making this night just incredibly happy. I am dancing as I play. ❤️‍ I usually sit on the bed or on a chair. But NOT tonight. I forgot how much fun this song is.
It's one of my favs to play and sing. Relatively simple, instantly recognizable, jumping energy, and gets butts on the dance floor.
The current version of my band is lukewarm about it, but I am going to make it stick.
Again...:D

You Wreck me/Tom Petty. Same thing. I love that song and it gets everyone grooving on the dance floor.

Long cool woman in a black dress. That’s a keeper too.

I went and revisited a lot of my old songs last night. One of the highlights of this year so far. It takes the edge off of being too serious and the fun factor is off the charts.

I think I need to do this more often.

All of this makes sense to me, but my experience is somewhat different. Maybe just because of the place and time.

The band I played with the most never rehearsed. The first time I played with them was on a stage for four sets. I knew the songs in that I had heard them on the radio, but most of them I had never played. My job was to figure out how to play along real time. Having a good enough aural memory to know when changes were coming helped a lot, as did being reasonably good at playing something safe until I knew what the actual chord transition was. I’m not sure everyone learning parts for all the songs separately would have worked for us.

All of which is to say, it depends on what you are trying to do and who you are playing with. I get the most satisfaction out of just sitting down and playing with someone. If we mesh quickly, it’s magic.
I have been in the situation you describe as well. It usually happens at jams. I have played songs at jams that I have never learned but I have heard them enough that once I knew that key to play in I was able to keep up.

To me, there is a difference in how tight the band sounds when things are rehearsed. It doesn't take many hours of rehearsal if everyone is prepared. I know I can hear a difference in the bands in my area that rehearse and those that don't. However, that is not to say that if people do their homework that you couldn't play the song as a band at a gig for the first time. That all depends on how well you all learn and how well you play off of each other. I have been in that situation as well. It is nice when you are in a group that can do this. You just learn it at home and add it to the list.

Back