Band escapades

I have been in the situation you describe as well. It usually happens at jams. I have played songs at jams that I have never learned but I have heard them enough that once I knew that key to play in I was able to keep up.

To me, there is a difference in how tight the band sounds when things are rehearsed. It doesn't take many hours of rehearsal if everyone is prepared. I know I can hear a difference in the bands in my area that rehearse and those that don't. However, that is not to say that if people do their homework that you couldn't play the song as a band at a gig for the first time. That all depends on how well you all learn and how well you play off of each other. I have been in that situation as well. It is nice when you are in a group that can do this. You just learn it at home and add it to the list.
I agree that time playing together makes things crisper. Few bands these days play as much as we did. 3-5 nights a week for 3-4 hours is enough to bond pretty well without adding rehearsals. Good odds we would play 150-200 songs before leaving town.
When I got back to town after being away for about a year, we did ‘rehearse’ by doing a set at an open mic night at a local bar a couple of days before hitting the road.

I hate it when someone modifies a song to the extent that it throws off the rest of the band. I had a particular guitar player that used to do this. He was a novice player. We all have to start somewhere! He would modify a song to suit his skill set but never warn us. We’re playing along just fine and wham bam thank you mam. I could play to accommodate but let us know before we start the song. It was cringe worthy at times.

Last edited:
Been a few days so I'll bring this back to topic with another fun one about our favorite shaved apes, the drummers.

This was a different band and drummer from the other post. We used to practice in a big warehouse where someone's friend worked and had a lot of room to screw around. One night the drummer, who we will call Steve, showed up wearing spandex pants and carrying a bag of smoke bombs.

Being respectable and mature, as we were, we started lighting them off and holding them in front of our junk so we could "pee smoke".

Steve got the brilliant idea to hold one inside his pants but he burned his hand and instinctively let go and pulled back. Remember how he was wearing spandex pants?

For the next 60 seconds Steve was frantically jumping from one foot to the other like a crazed Irish jig as he screamed "my ****'s on fire MY ****'S ON FIIIIIRREEE!!!!!"

It eventually burned out leaving a hole in the front of his pants but both Steve and his **** were perfectly fine. He was a drummer though, which meant he was obligated to then pull it through said new hole and played the whole practice that way.

Been a few days so I'll bring this back to topic with another fun one about our favorite shaved apes, the drummers.

This was a different band and drummer from the other post. We used to practice in a big warehouse where someone's friend worked and had a lot of room to screw around. One night the drummer, who we will call Steve, showed up wearing spandex pants and carrying a bag of smoke bombs.

Being respectable and mature, as we were, we started lighting them off and holding them in front of our junk so we could "pee smoke".

Steve got the brilliant idea to hold one inside his pants but he burned his hand and instinctively let go and pulled back. Remember how he was wearing spandex pants?

For the next 60 seconds Steve was frantically jumping from one foot to the other like a crazed Irish jig as he screamed "my ****'s on fire MY ****'S ON FIIIIIRREEE!!!!!"

It eventually burned out leaving a hole in the front of his pants but both Steve and his **** were perfectly fine. He was a drummer though, which meant he was obligated to then pull it through said new hole and played the whole practice that way.
Good thing we didn’t learn his his real name!:p:D

Sounds like a good friend, who we will call Steve, who is a guitar player.

We were working a six night a week gig, 25 years ago. The changing room was for all of us, entertainment staff and visiting cabaret.

Steve wore Y fronts, which had been washed and worn a lot. There was a small hole in the crotch of them, that one of the female ents staff brought to everyone’s attention.

I should mention at the same time us lads are all in our boxers etc. in various states of undress, trying to get changed for a show. At the same time, two female staff are getting changed. One is either oblivious to our presence and is parading about in her pants and the other girl was a little more embarrassed and was using her arm to cover herself up.

So Steve enlarges the hole in his pants, pulls through a generous amount of hairy testicle skin and does a dance around the dressing room.

There was much laughter, and that evenings performance was a hoot.

Aah fun times.

Good stuff! Lol

It’s good to laugh. When ppl pass out evil comes to life! Lol

Got into such a nasty argument with the singer. She called me a “bully”. Never ever been called that.

It’s very important to have the thickest skin possible when it comes to dealing with ppl in this industry. If you don’t you will crack, fold and die.

I just don’t care anymore. You don’t like me I don’t care. Walk away! Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!

It’s very important to have the thickest skin possible when it comes to dealing with ppl in this industry. If you don’t you will crack, fold and die.

I just don’t care anymore. You don’t like me I don’t care. Walk away! Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!
I've had to learn the hard way to be like that. When I was younger I wanted to be liked and be a nice guy, but you end up undercharging yourself for work or people figure they can let you take care of everything. People pleasing is a dangerous habit to get into.

I've also learned the hard way to quit being the sloppy guy. I was that cat who would come into practice with a guitar that was tuned like I threw it down the stairs, a cable that only worked if it was held at a 60 degree angle, and never had picks. I remember my first time at a blues jam. I walk in there among a bunch of 50-60 year old units. Rough guys who look like they were never children. I show up with a Line 6 Spider, on the INSANE channel, all the gain, no mids, zero music theory knowledge, and it was a disaster. I did come back the next week, and the next, and didnt really get better but I got a reality check. If I could go back in time to my visit my younger self, especially when I was with my first band, I'd slap him and hand him a frickin Mel Bay book.

I think as I have gotten older and wiser things don’t bother like they used to when I was young. I wish I had this attitude in my younger years.

When the singer called me a bully I just take a look at what kind of person it’s coming from. I am really good at reading ppl. I somehow had a gut feeling from the get go that this wouldn’t work. Oh well! In the year that I knew her she had 4 different jobs. Big red flag right there! Instability!

I have set myself up to become bullet proof. I am a very confidant person and have a lot to offer to others in my life. If you choose to be a part of my life great and if not I feeling nothing.

Last edited:
Back