Audio Interfaces - Let's Talk!

I bought this one just under a year ago. It was pricey but I would buy this one again. I can see this working for me for a very long time. RME is one of, if not the best at producing drivers for their units for many years.

I forgot to mention that I bought it at a time where I got this unit with it for free. This makes it much easier and faster to use for me.

That looks like a nice setup.

OK that's cool.
That said, what is the DAW/recording software, and how is it routed?
I'm only guessing, but I'm thinking this might be it.
Going from now, back through a few years….

Now- Reaper, or even for basic stuff - Audacity

In the past, I’ve used many more programs and for example, the last two things I recorded that I still have, including the Happy Birthday thing, were done POD500HD>Computer/ Reaper

Last edited by a moderator:
that’s so unexpected, i mean you seen my interface (also have an audient, same results) and no issues recording live instruments while play back other tracks. my current machine is a 16gb m1 mac mini with logic, my previous was a really old hp zbook laptop running bigwig and ableton.

so i don’t know howie, but get it together soon because i woul love to listen to something new in the vh/oz/rush school right nahh.

mahogany rush, is that like an afrikan rush cover act? like (and this may be before your time, how) mali hatchet?
I sense you may be poking a bit here.:p If not, then I remind of of the TOTAL MESS that a mix of all those could create!

And back in the day, I loved some Molly Hatchet. And Blackfoot, and some other Southern Rock bands.

I sense you may be poking a bit here.:p If not, then I remind of of the TOTAL MESS that a mix of all those could create!

And back in the day, I loved some Molly Hatchet. And Blackfoot, and some other Southern Rock bands.
i am dead serious and have a lot of listening time to fill, in a building with no internet so looking for deep =HW= album cuts.

That looks like a nice setup.
It is a fantastic unit. It has everything you could want. The DSP in it is awesome. It has it's own delay and reverb so you can hear those in your monitoring signal while tracking if you want but you get a dry track in the DAW. Then you can apply and adjust reverb and delay where you want it for the best result for the song. It didn't take me very long to figure out how it works. It was pretty intuitive. It is actually pretty small too. It does some of the connections with a breakout cable. I would definitely buy it again if I were in the market for one.

It is a fantastic unit. It has everything you could want. The DSP in it is awesome. It has it's own delay and reverb so you can hear those in your monitoring signal while tracking if you want but you get a dry track in the DAW. Then you can apply and adjust reverb and delay where you want it for the best result for the song. It didn't take me very long to figure out how it works. It was pretty intuitive. It is actually pretty small too. It does some of the connections with a breakout cable. I would definitely buy it again if I were in the market for one.
Sounds nice!

Going from now, back through a few years….

Now- Reaper, or even for basic stuff - Audacity

In the past, I’ve used many more programs and for example, the last two things I recorded that I still have, including the Happy Birthday thing, were done POD500HD>Computer/ Reaper
OK, so guitar to SSL2? Or something else first?
What are you monitoring with while you record? Headphones? Plugged into SSL2?
If headphones are they monitoring the SSL2 locally, or routing back from/through Reaper?
I suspect the latter as that = latency.

OK, so guitar to SSL2? Or something else first?
What are you monitoring with while you record? Headphones? Plugged into SSL2?
If headphones are they monitoring the SSL2 locally, or routing back from/through Reaper?
I suspect the latter as that = latency.
Guitar >AA12>SSL>computer. Monitor thru SSL headphone out or Focals

This might be obvious, but...

Are you setting your DAW to input monitoring? That should let you hear your live playing with the rest of the tracks, and not the recorded sound on the track, so there shouldn't be any latency.

Also, modern interfaces (and their software) usually give you that option as well.

my thought was how could it be anything but the device driver, which could have latency settings of it’s own outside of the tracker software. (my other interface is an audient id4 which is a lot like your ssl2.)
Good point. Forgot to ask if it's PC or MAC.
If the driver is suspect then on PC you could try asio4all.

This might be obvious, but...

Are you setting your DAW to input monitoring? That should let you hear your live playing with the rest of the tracks, and not the recorded sound on the track, so there shouldn't be any latency.

Also, modern interfaces (and their software) usually give you that option as well.
I'll check and advise. It gives you a "monitor mix" knob, so you can dial between input, and usb. The problem I had in the past when playing along with a track: If you monitor input, you hear it in real time, but not matched perfectly to the track you're playing with. If you monitor output it matches the track but is delayed from what you're actually playing (latency). So you have to dial it somewhere in this weird middle ground where what you hear sounds like a slapback echo, and what you hear both a "live" and a "track" that are just slightly delayed from each other.

It absolutely drives me crazy. I believe it has to do with the computer settings or whatever. Buffer size, all that stuff, I guess.

PC only, and have the latest driver from SSL

I'll check and advise. It gives you a "monitor mix" knob, so you can dial between input, and usb. The problem I had in the past when playing along with a track: If you monitor input, you hear it in real time, but not matched perfectly to the track you're playing with. If you monitor output it matches the track but is delayed from what you're actually playing (latency). So you have to dial it somewhere in this weird middle ground where what you hear sounds like a slapback echo, and what you hear both a "live" and a "track" that are just slightly delayed from each other.

It absolutely drives me crazy. I believe it has to do with the computer settings or whatever. Buffer size, all that stuff, I guess.

PC only, and have the latest driver from SSL
I wonder if this might help...

I use a Focusrite Scarlett uh...2i2? It's a 2nd gen interface I got three years ago. Works like a beauty. For mics, I use a Lauten LA220 and an Aston Origin. The magic is in the two new toys: Fishman TriplePlay and Drogon, the new PC I built when my last one started crapping out. For monitoring, Byerdynamic DT770 headphones.

Focusrite has their own ASIO drivers. Nothing works better to get rid of latency.

Back