Ash necks?

Got one last week actually, with an ash body.
Doug Diamond @ Wildcat described it as 'airy' and that was spot on. Overall sounds great, hard to complain.

Doug Diamond @ Wildcat described it as 'airy' and that was spot on. Overall sounds great, hard to complain.

Cool. Any pictures?
I love swamp ash bodies for Fender style guitars. Both my favourite strat and tele are swamp ash bodies with one-piece maple necks. They both sound ”airy” in a way. I would love to try an ash neck but I guess that won’t happen anytime soon, especially when it’s getting harder to source it.

Got one of Doug's / WildCat's ash guitars (a MEV) last week actually.
Doug Diamond @ Wildcat described it as 'airy' and that was spot on. Sounds fantastics, excellent resonance too:

mPSog9W.jpg

Check out his stock because he just got a Frostbite Glow MEV as well with a monster curly maple to and white wash+black grain filler ash neck and ash body.

There is one more thing I want to say: Doug is the single best person/dealer I've ever dealt with.
I bought a few too many guitars the past couple years from many dealers, and had my fair share of issues requiring either warranty or repair work immediately.
While every single PRS dealer has been fantastic in sorting those out, not a single one came even close to the excellence of customer service Dough provided me. It's so impressive that despite both of us being in CA (that means those lovely 9.25% taxes need to be collected at checkout) I will make it a goal to exclusively deal with him for future guitar (mostly PRS at this point) purchases.
This assessment should be no surprise to those who have dealt with Doug while he was at Wild West Guitars.

Doug Diamond @ Wildcat described it as 'airy' and that was spot on. Sounds fantastics, excellent resonance too:

mPSog9W.jpg

Check out his stock because he just got a Frostbite Glow MEV as well with a monster curly maple to and white wash+black grain filler ash neck and ash body.

There is one more thing I want to say: Doug is the single best person/dealer I've ever dealt with.
I bought a few too many guitars the past couple years from many dealers, and had my fair share of issues requiring either warranty or repair work immediately.
While every single PRS dealer has been fantastic in sorting those out, not a single one came even close to the excellence of customer service Dough provided me. It's so impressive that despite both of us being in CA (that means those lovely 9.25% taxes need to be collected at checkout) I will make it a goal to exclusively deal with him for future guitar (mostly PRS at this point) purchases.
This assessment should be no surprise to those who have dealt with Doug while he was at Wild West Guitars.

This guitar is stunning. I've been looking at the Frostbite Glow MEV on the website but yours is off the charts. Wow

At first I was like "huh, Ash for neck?"

Then I was like "hog body, hog neck, so why not ash body, ash neck?"

I suppose even the hardest "Swamp ash" wouldn't be quite as hard as typical African Mahogany - the Wood Database backs my suspicion on that (Black Ash 850, Afr Hog 1070 Janka hardness). But one would assume it could have good tonality.

Interesting...

mPSog9W.jpg

Wow! That is fantastic! Any pics of the back?

At first I was like "huh, Ash for neck?"

Then I was like "hog body, hog neck, so why not ash body, ash neck?"

I suppose even the hardest "Swamp ash" wouldn't be quite as hard as typical African Mahogany - the Wood Database backs my suspicion on that (Black Ash 850, Afr Hog 1070 Janka hardness). But one would assume it could have good tonality.

Interesting...

In terms of density though it's similar to mahogany on average (in fact the lower end of the range is higher than the lower bound for mahogany).

Somehow, that just makes sense to me. I suspect a less dense body would vibrate more and in doing so, vibrate the pickups much like a hollowbody would. That should cause a small amount of magnetic flux relative to the wire coil.

That’s probably why a Stratocaster sounds a bit like a hollowbody - the pickups are mounted on a thin and microscopically vibrating pickguard.

Back