As A Guitar Ages...A Discussion.

I just finished reading a book about Stradivarious violins. In the book, a couple of artists commented that some of the strads sounded fatigued after a period of time. In fact one famous living cellist said that he no longer toured with a particular instrument because it was played out. I didn't touch a solid body guitar from 2000 to 2007. I was playing big band and other archtop gigs. My archtops definitely changed in sound over time. One very famous one (name begins with a D') just didn't sound good to my ears anymore. In spit of the fact that it was the most beautiful guitar I ever laid eyes on, I sold it. I really didn't want to play it anymore on a gig. I got a 16" non cutaway archtop that opened up in sound over the course of the next few years. Because I didn't spend new car money on it, I won't be upset if it fatigues from the pounding I give it when I play rhythmn. Now it's mostly my PRS electrics getting played. I bought them because they sounded good from day one. I expect them to sound the same till the end.

Back