Artist Package Instruments Sound Better?

Eilif

I know that Artist Package core guitars look better, but do they sound better as well? Does the "select mahogany" improve the tone of the instrument?

I've had a lot of Artist Package core guitars over the years. They sound the same as other core guitars.

Do they look better? Well, some people think a simpler look is better, and that AP guitars are too fawncy... It's very subjective. I always liked 'em, though.

But then I'm the guy who'd pay the upcharge just for the dang case! ;)

I've had a lot of Artist Package core guitars over the years. They sound the same as other core guitars.

Do they look better? Well, some people think a simpler look is better, and that AP guitars are too fawncy... It's very subjective. I always liked 'em, though.

+1

To me, there is no question that wood affects tone. But to what degree, and which wood is "better" than another, is more subjective, I think.

Thanks for the responses. :)
I guess if I do decide to go the AP route, it should be completely for cosmetic reasons.

Seems like the wisest choice. There is little question (in my mind) that moving up to a "Wood Library" or Artist Package or Private Stock results in more attention to selection of components. Whether that translates into better SOUND is less certain.....Well, in the case of Private Stock, it seems to me that the "sum of the parts" almost certainly is better in pretty much all respects. (BUt whether it is YOUR idea of perfection is more subjective). For myself, paying extra for something more "aesthetically pleasing" is cool. But I am, by and large, happy with the sound that results too.

It's my understanding that Artist Package woods are not tapped for tone, or chosen for tone, they're merely chosen for their cosmetic details. The exception may be the case of Brazilian Rosewood for fretboards.

I completely agree that woods have different tone qualities. So it depends what they're selected for, tone, looks, or both.

There have been Artist Models, such as the Artist I-V series that had things like select Peruvian mahogany for neck blanks, and things like different fingerboard woods. Those sound different from the Core models.

Last edited:

You know they're $300, right?

Don't get me wrong -- I love that case, and I've taken it account into past decisions. But at least I'm embarrassed about it.

I guess if I do decide to go the AP route, it should be completely for cosmetic reasons.
That what I did and also to get the ebony board and the IRW neck in pattern regular although I couldn't specify the top only if it's flame or quilt
the other additions (mixed hardware and MEII birds) cost me a few hundreds more but i wanted the bling ( I'm shallow yeah ;))

The notes sound 'woody' - imbued with a mid range honk that is intuitively associated with the sound of wood
That is what I hear now in my 513, maybe it's due to the combination of the rosewood neck and the select mahogany but also balanced nicely
with the clarity and snappiness of the ebony board.

Last edited:
I'd go AP purely based on looks and function of the guitar. However, you can do pairing not possible on core models. So there's that to consider. Maybe an ebony fretboard or maple neck on a SC? All depends on what you're after. Now...I hunted my AP SC for a long while. I drooled and shorted out many a keyboard over this guitar. Then I had the opportunity to buy it. It happens to be my favorite sounding guitar by a landslide. Is that because it's an AP? Probably not. You can have stellar sounding guitars at all price points. Maybe I got lucky, maybe it's all in my head. I think it's not the latter though because my drummer even comments if I don't play it for a bit. Then I plug it in and says Damn that thing sounds awesome!

I didn't get a ribboned back but I got this:

513AP5_zpsee3b5a9e.jpg

I guess the sine wave on the back is indicative of the frequency it resonate too :dontknow: :iamconfused:

I'm sure there's AP which sound "better" than Core, and Code that sound "better" than AP. Better tone is in the ear of the axeholder, so really it's all subjective yeah?

Not sure if AP "automatically" is better or sounds better than core line but core has been stripped of some options that have been moved to AP in the meantime.

Two examples:
- Want a stoptail on a Custom 22? AP only now!
- Want a IRW neck? AP only...

No problem with that, but I think AP then should offer more options like stoptails on Custom24 and P24 and Paul's one-piece stoptail with the brass inserts... Just dreaming ;-)

Last edited:
Good catch. The stoptail was standard when I ordered my Custom 22 (wanted 408). Did that change with the McCarty release?

I know that Artist Package core guitars look better, but do they sound better as well? Does the "select mahogany" improve the tone of the instrument?

The answer to both questions: not necessarily. In my opinion, this is extended to include private stock. With each upgrade you have certainly improved the appearance of the instrument and if fortunate, the tone. The end result is determined by the player, which has been stated many times already in this thread and is subjective. What would be really wonderful to see? A video recorded blind private stock build with no influential assistance given to the selection of the wood, other than following a formula of a tried and true species type for each component for the pre-determined model to include tap tuning and pitchfork tuning, both using an oscilloscope. Certainly no attention paid at all to the appearance of the wood (afterall it is private stock).

Not sure if AP "automatically" is better or sounds better than core line but core has been stripped of some options that have been moved to AP in the meantime.

Two examples:
- Want a stoptail on a Custom 22? AP only now!
- Want a IRW neck? AP only...

No problem with that, but I think AP then should offer more options like stoptails on Custom24 and P24 and Paul's one-piece stoptail with the brass inserts... Just dreaming ;-)

Many options were previously available to the core line in addition to the artist package.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it now. Once you get to core level instruments, the sound doesn't improve beyond that. Artist and private stock instruments are about ornamentation and customization. Anyone who thinks they are getting the holy grail of tone needs to come back to reality. When PRS refers to "select" anything, its wood chosen more for figuring and uniqueness than anything else.

I've said it before and I'll say it now. Once you get to core level instruments, the sound doesn't improve beyond that. Artist and private stock instruments are about ornamentation and customization. Anyone who thinks they are getting the holy grail of tone needs to come back to reality. When PRS refers to "select" anything, its wood chosen more for figuring and uniqueness than anything else.

+1

You know they're $300, right?

Don't get me wrong -- I love that case, and I've taken it account into past decisions. But at least I'm embarrassed about it.

Did I say I'm not embarrassed?

I just figured I'd man up about my guitar case obsession. :)

While improved sound is certainly subjective, there are certainly materials and appointments that can be obtained throughout the private stock program that do sound different than what is offered in the core and AP models. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back