Archon Players Who Use A Boost

Where do you run the gain on the OD channel?
With a custom 24, it's pointing right at the bright switch. 10:30 or so?

Tumnus has gain and volume both around 10:30 as well. Not a lot, but just enough.

The unit67 is not boosting much, but pushing the range and treble knobs a little gives so much crunchy goodness to the sound.

Overall it's a lot of gain. I have a light touch. I'm very much not a string beater. So I use more gain than I should.

With a custom 24, it's pointing right at the bright switch. 10:30 or so?

Tumnus has gain and volume both around 10:30 as well. Not a lot, but just enough.

The unit67 is not boosting much, but pushing the range and treble knobs a little gives so much crunchy goodness to the sound.

Overall it's a lot of gain. I have a light touch. I'm very much not a string beater. So I use more gain than I should.
And the mids?

Amp has a lot of mids/low mids/bottom. While I do use a mid push pedal for solo boost, I have to keep the amp mids down for "most" tones I dial in to get the crunch and upper mid push I want, without too much lower mids.

And the mids?

Amp has a lot of mids/low mids/bottom. While I do use a mid push pedal for solo boost, I have to keep the amp mids down for "most" tones I dial in to get the crunch and upper mid push I want, without too much lower mids.
My Archons Don't Have All Those Mid Knobs. I Just Have Mids. I Don't Have The Upper Mids, Lower Mids Nor Do I have A Mid Push Toggle Switch. I Feel Cheated...

My Archons Don't Have All Those Mid Knobs. I Just Have Mids. I Don't Have The Upper Mids, Lower Mids Nor Do I have A Mid Push Toggle Switch. I Feel Cheated...
Exactly. And the mids control on them is centered lower than many amps, so to get more upper mids you have to run the amps mids down a bit, and add the upper mids with a boost/od/eq pedal

Exactly. And the mids control on them is centered lower than many amps, so to get more upper mids you have to run the amps mids down a bit, and add the upper mids with a boost/od/eq pedal
So You Have To EQ The EQ Because The Normal Amp EQ Doesn't Get You There With Its EQ? Sounds Like A Lot Of EQ Stuff Going On To Gets Some Toanz...

So You Have To EQ The EQ Because The Normal Amp EQ Doesn't Get You There With Its EQ? Sounds Like A Lot Of EQ Stuff Going On To Gets Some Toanz...
No, turn the knobs to where you like them. The Archon is very thick in the low mids. I tone that down just a bit (normally. I really do all kinds of things with the Archon). Then I prefer an upper mids, or treble kick for solos. Easy peasy

And the mids?

Mids around 1:00
Treble depends on the guitar. 1:00 with a custom 24, 2:00 with my current guitar which is darker.
Bass 11:00
Presence 2:00
Depth depends on if I'm playing through my 1x12, my 2x12, or both. With more speakers I turn it down.

Just in the last week or 2 I added a Wampler Equator to my pedalboard. I'm scooping a bit around 700hz and boosting a little around 2k. I play in a metal band with 2 guitars and the other player uses a 5150. I feel like we blend better in the mix when I'm using the equator.

Mids around 1:00
Treble depends on the guitar. 1:00 with a custom 24, 2:00 with my current guitar which is darker.
Bass 11:00
Presence 2:00
Depth depends on if I'm playing through my 1x12, my 2x12, or both. With more speakers I turn it down.

Just in the last week or 2 I added a Wampler Equator to my pedalboard. I'm scooping a bit around 700hz and boosting a little around 2k. I play in a metal band with 2 guitars and the other player uses a 5150. I feel like we blend better in the mix when I'm using the equator.
cutting a little between 500 and 700 hz makes sense, especially with the mids knob that high. That's a LOT of low mids with the knob above noon. Not that this is a bad thing and I do it often, but when I'm going for tighter, more "high gain M" type tones, bass and mids both have to go down for me or it's too much. A little scoop there adds some clarity to the bottom end.

An EQ Pedal May Be The Way To Go. I Love The Amp, Just Looking For A Little Twist On It.
I was going to suggest an EQ, based on what you've indicated in various responses. To me, a proper "boost" pedal is just a flat increase in signal, but even I recognize that most "flat" boosts still color ever so slightly in a way to make the increased signal "better" (lol) for soloing or lead breaks or whatever, maybe a bit of high end is tailed off in the "boost" circuit, or otherwise slightly colors the tone to get some desired mojo.

I use a Keeley Katana boost and that's what it does. It claims to be a clean boost, but IMHO it has a very subtle high end cut. (It also has an OD-like mode.)

cutting a little between 500 and 700 hz makes sense, especially with the mids knob that high. That's a LOT of low mids with the knob above noon. Not that this is a bad thing and I do it often, but when I'm going for tighter, more "high gain M" type tones, bass and mids both have to go down for me or it's too much. A little scoop there adds some clarity to the bottom end.
Yeah exactly. That clarity is exactly what I am going for. And trying to get into a different bunch of mids than the 5150. Archon and 5150 in the same band is a LOT of low mids

I Grabbed A Few Various Anniversary Edition Maxon's And When They Arrive I Am Going To Go Through A Bunch Of Different Pedals And See What I Can Discover On Both The 50 And 100.

Back