Archon 50 after 5 months

Mspin

This amp is such a pleasure to play. I have left tubes stock. I have not had the desire yet to change anything. The clean channel is what I always thought a clean channel on an amp should be. It is very clean and the eq is very sensitive. The bright switch is a nice addition. The gain channel is superlative. This amp can do classic rock to the heaviest modern metal there is. Again having the bright switch gives it a nice touch. Being able to switch the amp to 25 watts gives yet another useful option. That lower ootion allows for the amp to be even more of a bedroom amp if you need that. Even at full power on low master volume the amps tone delivers. Overall this amp is more versatile than I first thought. Jazz cleans to over the top metal destruction is in it’s DNA. This amp is now part of my studio set up. Great job at PRS designing this amp. It fits in nicely with my JVM and JCM 800 ‘s very nicely.

Last edited:
This amp is such a pleasure to play. I have left tubes stock. I have not had the desire yet to change anything. The clean channel is what I always thought a clean channel on an amp should be. It is very clean and the eq is very sensitive. The bright switch is a nice addition. The gain channel is superlative. This amp can do classic rock to the heaviest modern metal there is. Again having the bright switch gives it a nice touch. Being able to switch the amp to 25 watts gives yet another useful option. That lower ootion allows for the amp to be even more of a bedroom amp if you need that. Even at full power on low master volume the amps tone delivers. Overall this amp is more versatile than I first thought. Jazz cleans to over the top metal destruction is in it’s DNA. This amp is now part if my studio set up. Great job at PRS designing this amp. It fits in nicely with my JVM and JCM 800 ‘s very nicely.

Nailed it! Don't understand why there aren't more of these out there!

I agree. When you consider the price point while not cheap is certainly a bargain for a built in america made amp. If you have opened the amp and removed the chassis you will see a top notch hand wired amp.

Used they are a huge bargain. But few people are willing to take a chance on something they can't try in person. PRS's mistake here was in not getting the Archons into more shops IMHO. I bought mine without having ANY idea what it might be like in person, just thought a couple of the YT vids sounded promising.

PRS's mistake here was in not getting the Archons into more shops IMHO.
If I am not mistaken it's not up to PRS....If the shops don't order it then there are none.Every shop I have been to(Sam Ash,Guitar Center) I have never really seen any higher end amp such made in England Marshall...Friedman and others.It's probably because the shops don't want their money tied up due to these amps don't really move.

If I am not mistaken it's not up to PRS....If the shops don't order it then there are none.Every shop I have been to(Sam Ash,Guitar Center) I have never really seen any higher end amp such made in England Marshall...Friedman and others.It's probably because the shops don't want their money tied up due to these amps don't really move.

This. My local shop seems to move PRS amps on a regular basis, but I've rarely seen more than one of a given model in the store at any time.

Were I looking to get amps into the market, I'd consider putting some into stores at a significantly discounted price so they don't mind if it's difficult to move.

On rare occasions I have seen the more affordable Sonzera but never the Archon

My local has had an Archon it, but it seemed to sit for a while. They have the Sonzera, but I don't think I've ever seen more than one at a time. They've never had anything like the HX/DA or DG to my knowledge.

My local has had an Archon it, but it seemed to sit for a while. They have the Sonzera, but I don't think I've ever seen more than one at a time. They've never had anything like the HX/DA or DG to my knowledge.

“Welcome to Hell.”

“Gosh, I didn’t expect to see a guitar store here. This one’s huge!”

“Yes, it is. We have everything! The entire Behringer pedal line, Boss amps, the full ESP catalog, you name it!”

“How about a PRS amp?”

“No, sorry, you have to go to Heaven for those.”

“Well how about guitars? I’m a PRS player.”

“PRS, huh? [yells] Phil, do we carry PRS?”

[Voice from back of store] “No, tell him those are heaven exclusives.”

“Sorry, you probably heard him. Not available here. We can special order you a BC Rich...”

“No, none of those will do.”

“You really should just pick up some guitar gear while you can, sir. There’s a rumor that Hell Center’s going all-accordion and bagpipe next year.”

I love these. I plan to replace my heavy-toned gigging amps with an Archon or 2 in the new year. I generally prefer 100 over 50 for the headroom and bottom end though. I wish the 100 watt heads had the silver front panel though (sorry, I despise the maple panel on the 100).

I love these. I plan to replace my heavy-toned gigging amps with an Archon or 2 in the new year. I generally prefer 100 over 50 for the headroom and bottom end though. I wish the 100 watt heads had the silver front panel though (sorry, I despise the maple panel on the 100).

I have a silver panel, due to the generosity of a forum brother. If you get an Archon and want one, let me know.

How does the archon 50 sound at bedroom volumes? I pretty much only play at home and I’m interested in replacing my peavey JSX because I just have never loved it. However the master volume control on the peavey works great, I can turn it way down and it still sounds fine.

How does the archon 50 sound at bedroom volumes? I pretty much only play at home and I’m interested in replacing my peavey JSX because I just have never loved it. However the master volume control on the peavey works great, I can turn it way down and it still sounds fine.

Depends on how loud you want to be in the bedroom! :eek:

It works really well, at least on the Archon 100. I can get good tones out of mine sitting about 10 feet away where I can still hear the acoustic sounds of the pick hitting the strings. I don't normally play that quietly, but it's good if I'm trying to learn a song - keep everything lower rather than bumping each sound up incrementally.

Best low volume tube amp I’ve played. I use mine strictly at bedroom volumes.

The archon 100 works remarkably well at low volumes ... as long as you aren't using the effects loop. It can be really noisy. Well, you can, but you will need an active volume control at the end of the loop due to the way the master volume sits in the amp before the loop.

For balancing out low volume lack of bass, the Resonance control is like a variable "loudness" control one used to find on hifi systems.

The Archon works very well at lower volumes and the Depth control makes it fill in nicely at really quite volumes. But turn the master up to 9:00 on the gain channel and you'll never want to go back. Turn it to noon, and you'll be having the "but it's a tube amp, honey, and you have to turn it up for it to work right" conversation with your wife. And if you lose, the you'll spend every waking moment dreaming of the next time she's not home so you can turn it up again!

From "great" at 9:00, each additional hour on the clock dial adds a whole new level of awesome to the tone. Don't turn it up to noon unless you know you can get away with it at least every once in a while, because you'll be scarred for life once you hear that if you can never turn it up there again. Even 10:00 which is LOUD for home, is GREAT tone.

The archon 100 works remarkably well at low volumes ... as long as you aren't using the effects loop. It can be really noisy. Well, you can, but you will need an active volume control at the end of the loop due to the way the master volume sits in the amp before the loop.

For balancing out low volume lack of bass, the Resonance control is like a variable "loudness" control one used to find on hifi systems.
What do you mean “it will be really noisy” the gain hum or some other type of noise? I do use the effects loop on my amp so that would suck to not be able to use it.

Back