Anyone using attenuators?

Goran Lorencin

Hi there, just wondering if anyone is using attenuators to drive the tubes more, but at a lower overall volume from the speakers?

Like JHS Little Black Amp (before the amp) or a more expensive version that goes between the amp and speakers.

Wondering if driving the tubes more makes a better overall sound, any advice?

thx

I use a Weber MiniMass with my Marshall SV20. It definitely changes the character of the tone coming from the amp. But it also makes the amp usable at home. At the price point of the Weber some sacrifice must be made. I’m considering picking up a PS2 to see if that results in a smaller or no sacrifice option.

I bought a Bad Cat Unleash but don’t use it much as I can get a decent tone without peeling paint now that I am running a lunchbox sized Friedman. I like that I can also boost the output of the amp with this one if I ever get take it somewhere bigger and more wide open. Sounds decent.

I am using an MT15 and I love it, it is "simple" and effective, I can dial in a good sound with a 2x12 cab, but I never use it at more than 25-30 % volume, the knob is more or less at 9 o'clock all the time, because it is loud as hell, the gain never goes over 50% ... so am I missing anything because of that (sound wise)?

Even on half power it is still going strong when on lead channel.

It is a bit different when I'm on the clean channel, there I can easily go to 50-60% volume and it is still ok in regard to my eardrums.

All of my amps have a good Master Volume control. I DO NOT use an attenuator. I do not even like the lower power setting on my amps that will go from 100 down to 50 or 25.

I DO like the OX Box though. I tried it out at a friends, MA Pete!, it was glorious. It is very pricey though....

For a long time I used a Rivera Rockcrusher to tame my big amps, including a 30 watt Bad Cat HC30. Now I use a Suhr Reactive Load and either my Torpedo Wall of Sound plugin or my Helix Rack for cabinets. I have a whole bank in the Helix devoted to IRs and multi-cab combos ready to go.

I I currently run Vox AC15 amps. They sound glorious with the output tubes burning a bit.

Anything that isn't after the amp's transformer and before the speaker(s) is not truly going to be what an attenuator is intended to be (get the amp's power section working heavy while bringing down the volume level). Yes, there are other ways of managing volume but they're actually not going to trick the amp into pushing its power section into breakup:
Anything before the amp is just a boost (or an un-boost) pedal
Anything in the amp's loop (these are not uncommon) is not an attenuator, but simply a "post" volume knob for the preamp no more/no less​

Some examples of true attenuators of which I'm referring to are the Aracom units, Dr. Z Brake Lite/Air Brake, Rivera Rock Crusher, Scumback DBL, Weber MASS, etc. (there's a lot more, and I've used several of them). There are also some more modern/hi-tech units that re-amp the signal and do even more fancy tricks, like the UA Ox and some products by Suhr, Boss, and others.

But as much as I can say which is a "true attenuator" and what isn't, the bottom line is truly this--if you can get your amazing dream-sound/tone coming out of your setup at a volume that is manageable for you, then go with it. For instance, I've used attenuators at times, I've used amps with Master Volumes, and I've used pedals into clean amps. Each one of those, in different ways, have produced some killer tones (and many bad tones along the way); but here is no "right way" anymore.

Attenuators can get expensive real quick, though--if going that route, I've been satisfied on the less-expensive side with practically any of the Weber products, the Dr. Z Brake Lite, and (for low-wattage amps) the Swart Night Light Jr. to name a few. Nowadays though, I'm not using any--it's more just pedals into clean or semi-clean amps, and/or the built-in (but true pre-speaker) attenuators in my Carr amps.

I have a Torpedo Captor X and the attenuator works great, although it only has a couple of attenuation levels, rather than a variable range. The IR/speaker sim/direct recording capabilities it gives are absolutely killer though. My Mesa MK V generally can sound good at semi-lower levels on its' own, but the attenuator is great when you really want to get the tubes cooking. Being able to record my AC-30 silently while still getting a good alnico speaker tone is a godsend! That amp can be brutal to get it to give up the goods!

I have a Dr Z Air Brake, and its a nice addition...keeps things to where the ears don't bleed, but I get a good crunch out of my amp.
The Bedroom setting does a nice job...at fuller use, it does effect the tone somewhat (which is expected, I think??)
But I can crunch without bothering the wife upstairs. (my amps are definitely of the louder variety, usually)
It's a bit pricey, Used...+/-300.00

Rivera Rock Crusher, but I hardly ever use it. The Archon has a great Master Volume. IF I were starting right now, I'd grab an OxBox. I was with BrianC at MA Pete's to see what one can do with some LOUD amps. Very cool box.

I'd love an OX, but I'm happy with tones i get with my current rig. I'm talking to a local guy here in Gatlinburg about a deal on his Matchless C30 head. If i can pull it off then an OX might go on the menu....

I’ve had a few attenuators, all the way back to the Scholz Power Soak. There is some utility to all of them, but some seem to suck the soul out of your amp. Master volumes are also great, but preamp overdrive and power amp overdrive are different sounds. Both are good, but they are different. I love the authority in the tone of a driven power section.

The Universal Audio Ox Amp Top Box is a gem, and as near perfect as I’ve personally used, both because it’s a great sounding attenuator and because it’s so much more than just an attenuator. It’s a creativity toolbox for guitarists. If you can’t tell, I’m quite fond of mine! Not cheap, but actually not expensive for all it does and does well.

Rick's got a great handle on it. The OX is the best attenuation situation I know of, and I don't even own an attenuator, so it's not like I'm a fanboy. Nothing does what the OX does, assuming it isn't too expensive.

I wish the OX box was around back in the 80s. I still have the only attenuator that I’ve liked...the Marshall Power Brake and it doesn’t do an amp justice if dialed back beyond 50%. The volume reduction isn’t worth it, either. Just not enough. Ultimately, there’s no substitute for a 50w amp being driven into power stage overdrive and I’ve refused to compromise. Well, except for that Kemper thing in my dining room (which sounds flippin’ glorious).

My two main amps have great master volumes and I love the way they sound.
My newest amp a Fender Vibro Lux just loves to be cranked but you can't be in the same room with it so I have a Weber Mass 200 on it.
couldn't be happier :)

I can’t imagine a world without attenuators, they’re essential for rehearsing, gigging & recording. I used a THD Hotplate for a couple of decades, and about 5 years ago switched to one of the newer Fryette units.

I’ve found that most MV amps sound better when they’re turned up a fair bit, and many NMV amps simply need to be turned up quite a lot before they start getting the sounds I like. Attenuators to the rescue!

Anything that isn't after the amp's transformer and before the speaker(s) is not truly going to be what an attenuator is intended to be (get the amp's power section working heavy while bringing down the volume level). Yes, there are other ways of managing volume but they're actually not going to trick the amp into pushing its power section into breakup:
Anything before the amp is just a boost (or an un-boost) pedal
Anything in the amp's loop (these are not uncommon) is not an attenuator, but simply a "post" volume knob for the preamp no more/no less​

Some examples of true attenuators of which I'm referring to are the Aracom units, Dr. Z Brake Lite/Air Brake, Rivera Rock Crusher, Scumback DBL, Weber MASS, etc. (there's a lot more, and I've used several of them). There are also some more modern/hi-tech units that re-amp the signal and do even more fancy tricks, like the UA Ox and some products by Suhr, Boss, and others.

But as much as I can say which is a "true attenuator" and what isn't, the bottom line is truly this--if you can get your amazing dream-sound/tone coming out of your setup at a volume that is manageable for you, then go with it. For instance, I've used attenuators at times, I've used amps with Master Volumes, and I've used pedals into clean amps. Each one of those, in different ways, have produced some killer tones (and many bad tones along the way); but here is no "right way" anymore.

Attenuators can get expensive real quick, though--if going that route, I've been satisfied on the less-expensive side with practically any of the Weber products, the Dr. Z Brake Lite, and (for low-wattage amps) the Swart Night Light Jr. to name a few. Nowadays though, I'm not using any--it's more just pedals into clean or semi-clean amps, and/or the built-in (but true pre-speaker) attenuators in my Carr amps.

Thanks for the comment ... there apparently are affordable attenuators that do the trick, never heard of those before as I am relatively new to tube amps and never needed them. The Webber MINIMASS looks like the device I was looking for, I just hope they ship to the old continent.

I have a Torpedo Captor X and the attenuator works great, although it only has a couple of attenuation levels, rather than a variable range. The IR/speaker sim/direct recording capabilities it gives are absolutely killer though. My Mesa MK V generally can sound good at semi-lower levels on its' own, but the attenuator is great when you really want to get the tubes cooking. Being able to record my AC-30 silently while still getting a good alnico speaker tone is a godsend! That amp can be brutal to get it to give up the goods!
Looks like the next option in Wbber does not ship to Europe. Does this attenuator go between the amp and the speaker cab?

I have a Dr Z Air Brake, and its a nice addition...keeps things to where the ears don't bleed, but I get a good crunch out of my amp.
The Bedroom setting does a nice job...at fuller use, it does effect the tone somewhat (which is expected, I think??)
But I can crunch without bothering the wife upstairs. (my amps are definitely of the louder variety, usually)
It's a bit pricey, Used...+/-300.00

Thanks for the suggestion. Also an interesting device, I like that it accepts 4-, 8-, or 16-ohm loads ... but again the price is also a bit too spicy for me at the moment.

Rivera Rock Crusher, but I hardly ever use it. The Archon has a great Master Volume. IF I were starting right now, I'd grab an OxBox. I was with BrianC at MA Pete's to see what one can do with some LOUD amps. Very cool box.

Ox box is nice ... but damn it has a hefty price tag. The RockCrusher also seems to be a good device, still to pricey for my current situation. Still looking for a cheaper option if I find one.

Back