Anyone using attenuators?

I can’t imagine a world without attenuators, they’re essential for rehearsing, gigging & recording. I used a THD Hotplate for a couple of decades, and about 5 years ago switched to one of the newer Fryette units.

I’ve found that most MV amps sound better when they’re turned up a fair bit, and many NMV amps simply need to be turned up quite a lot before they start getting the sounds I like. Attenuators to the rescue!

Exactly because of that ("sound better when they’re turned up a fair bit") I am thinking of getting one, but damn they`re not for the shallow pocket. MV (NVM) ... multi valve or?

I would have thought with something like the mt15 a lot of the sound was coming from the pre-amp and not so much the power amp tubes. Unless you are having problems actually dialing it in to get a volume you're happy with (some amps are very tricky to set at a quiet volume -they just go from nothing to loud) you may find just running it harder through an attenuator isn't going add much to your tone (the benefit of turning up outweighed by the tone suck of the attenuation)

I would have thought with something like the mt15 a lot of the sound was coming from the pre-amp and not so much the power amp tubes. Unless you are having problems actually dialing it in to get a volume you're happy with (some amps are very tricky to set at a quiet volume -they just go from nothing to loud) you may find just running it harder through an attenuator isn't going add much to your tone (the benefit of turning up outweighed by the tone suck of the attenuation)

You are right, I should do more experimenting with the master volume and see how the sound changes and then decide if I need an attenuator.

I use both my master volume and attenuater in condo life. The master volume is used the most, but past a certain time the attenuater is kicked down, and then even later it's to the monitor headphones only.

Amp obviously sounds best at full power but cut down and it still sounds good only less full. The master volume is my best friend and used the most.

Sooo much of this is dependent upon the amp(s) you're using and the sound you want to hear and feel. Early on in my guitar playing days, I plugged a Mark III Boogie into a Scholz Power Soak and it just didn't make any sense. So much of the sound I wanted from that amp was actually in the preamp. You want to use an attenuator when you want to push the power tubes hard while cutting down on sound pressure levels. Even then, too much attenuation doesn't sound the same because then the speakers aren't actually working hard.

When I do play with an attenuator, I do something which is fairly insane: I use a Fractal X-Load as a load box, then take that line out into an Axe-FX to apply cab simulation, effects, and whatever ear candy I feel like. The tube amp (all of it) basically takes the place of an Axe-FX amp block.

Ox box is nice ... but damn it has a hefty price tag.
Yes, it’s probably more than you’re looking for here. But like the Fractal Audio Axe Fx mentioned above, once you actually use it, you can’t believe that they sell it so cheaply! Still, nothing is right for everyone, so it’s important you find the solution that’s best for your individual playing environment. There are lots of great suggestions here!

I used to have a combo HXDA amp (those power tubes need to be cooking!) and I used the Fryette PS2 with it. Great attenuator with EQ controls which will help with the ‘dulling’ effect some load boxes have with reduced output. Also has a very transparent effects loop. Highly recommend it. I’ve never tried the Ox Box but I’ve heard great things about them. Sadly, I don’t have either of them anymore.

Now I have a Kemper so volume isn’t an issue. Sorting through thousands of profiles is the issue there!

I bought an Ox to use as an attenuator a couple of years back, and have never looked back.

I started my guitar journey (before the first Dragon appeared in a now-cult-classic movie), with a Peavey combo. It didn't take long to graduate to a Marshall half stack of 4x12s - it took even less time for me to realize that I could never use it because it was just too much, and that half stack was sold off.

Fast forward (more than) a couple of years, and cue the Ox Box. I bought it so I could run any amp that I want through any cab I want, and it's awesome. Over the years I'd gone from that combo to heads, and started small (Marshall DSL20, Orange 15, Fender Reverb, etc). Eventually, I decided I wanted something "bigger and nicer", so I tracked down a used PRS Dallas 50. Right around that time, a co-worker offered a used, beat up 4x12 from back in the day, and I grabbed and rehab'd it. Suddenly I had the same problem as back when I bought my first 4x12. I did some research, and picked up the Ox Box.

Be forewarned, it has pros and cons though:
Pros: It really does an amazing job of attenuating and keeping the soul of the amp intact. I can dial the amp to where I want, and control volume from the guitar - I love it. The thing it also does, that I completely wasn't expecting (because I knew nothing about it at the time) is act as an awesome component of my recording studio. It also allows me to digitally model different amps, cabs, etc; and acts as a pretty cool interface for a DAW.

Cons: It's really not cheap. Also, and more importantly it can have the added risk of trading in all of the "low / reasonable power" amps for their more glamorous / powerful siblings. This sounds like a joke, but the truth is that I've already added the Dallas 50, a Ceriatone 100 (pretend Dumble), and a Marshall 1959HW will be on its way as soon as COVID stops causing supply chain issues. Next I'll be looking for a bigger Orange, a Bogner...

Next I'll be looking for a bigger Orange...

EPBbqw1X4AAYoI7.jpg

I used to have a combo HXDA amp (those power tubes need to be cooking!) and I used the Fryette PS2 with it. Great attenuator with EQ controls which will help with the ‘dulling’ effect some load boxes have with reduced output. Also has a very transparent effects loop. Highly recommend it. I’ve never tried the Ox Box but I’ve heard great things about them. Sadly, I don’t have either of them anymore.

Now I have a Kemper so volume isn’t an issue. Sorting through thousands of profiles is the issue there!
Having thousands (about 4, to be exact) of profiles has made the selection process daunting, but I think I’m there. And just when I think I’m done, Michael Britt serves up something special and makes me shift things around. Keep up he good fight...your enlightened tone is in that little toaster!

Also, and more importantly it can have the added risk of trading in all of the "low / reasonable power" amps for their more glamorous / powerful siblings. This sounds like a joke, but the truth is that I've already added the Dallas 50, a Ceriatone 100 (pretend Dumble), and a Marshall 1959HW will be on its way as soon as COVID stops causing supply chain issues. Next I'll be looking for a bigger Orange, a Bogner...

Because bigger is better. :)

I used a THD Hotplate for several years when I was still using tube amps live. It was helpful to let me drive my amp harder while being manageable enough for live sound/FOH to work with so the guitars don't sound terrible with the rest of the band.
It was fairly simple and to the point, and I wouldn't be opposed to using it again if I ever resume using tube amps live.

Having thousands (about 4, to be exact) of profiles has made the selection process daunting, but I think I’m there. And just when I think I’m done, Michael Britt serves up something special and makes me shift things around. Keep up he good fight...your enlightened tone is in that little toaster!
Lately I’ve been using Tone Junkie’s 68 Purple Plexi V2 HJ profiles from clean to dirty - vaguely reminds me of the HXDA :)

Lately I’ve been using Tone Junkie’s 68 Purple Plexi V2 HJ profiles from clean to dirty - vaguely reminds me of the HXDA :)
I could go on and on about profiles! Haven’t looked at that one, but I’m sure it’s nice. Maybe we should start a new thread about Our PRSi thru a Kemper? I just posted up some really bad recordings of our last gig showcasing Mr. Clean and the Kemper in another thread, but I’ve got thick enough skin to post ‘em again. ;)

I could go on and on about profiles! Haven’t looked at that one, but I’m sure it’s nice. Maybe we should start a new thread about Our PRSi thru a Kemper? I just posted up some really bad recordings of our last gig showcasing Mr. Clean and the Kemper in another thread, but I’ve got thick enough skin to post ‘em again. ;)

Do it!

That’s one of the things I love about the Ox Box... running a real HXDA attenuated into a cab and through an IR and FX in the Ox to a good set of monitors (Presonus S8 Scepters) combines to make a glorious playing experience. Really fun!

Back