ANYONE USE AN EQUALIZER PEDAL IN YOUR EFFECTS LOOP?

Thanks all for your input. The Boss GE7 looks to be the time-tested option. Any other recommendations? Not too many choices out there, it seems. The Earthquaker Tone Job looks a bit too much like any 3 band amp EQ. There are a couple 10-band graphic eq pedals with recent mixed reviews. The Wampler EQuator looks interesting, but I struggle sometimes with parametrics. It’s difficult for me to “see the Q” on those. Any favorites you would recommend?
The Boss GE7 works just fine IMHO. It does help shape your sound no matter where you put it (before or after OD etc, in the effects loop or in front of the amp etc)

Last edited:
I used the MXR 10-band in my rig for a while and liked it. I’ve worked very hard since to get my amp/cab equation to not need the EQ, because it was an “always on” thing that was make or break for my tone, and I wanted the option of not needing a pedalboard on occasion, or not needing to run through an effects loop all the time.

Going through the loop is basically the same idea as going after dirt pedals, if you imagine the preamp of your amp as a “pedal” (thing making OD). The later in the chain your EQ is, the more control you’ll have over final frequencies. On the other hand, going before your dirt source of choice will affect feel - frequency to a smaller degree - but changing how hard each frequency hits that gain stage will make it react to your playing differently. Similar to using a mid hump OD as a boost, like a TS or Klon.

If you want to tweak the final EQ, the more frequencies at your disposal, the better, IMO. Also, a pedal that runs at 18v may be a better choice for an effects loop, since it has more headroom and those loop level signals can be quite hot, depending on the amp.

Yup. Lots of ways to make an EQ concept work!

My reasoning for dirt pedal>EQ> front ot amp is that I kinda get the best of both worlds. If I want to shape the tone post-dirt, I can, and if I want to shape the tone of the amp’s preamp a little differently by hitting certain frequencies with EQ, I can do that, too. So, for example, I can use the EQ in front of an amp to goose the treble a little and get that high frequency “crushed glass” thing going that certain Class A amps like Matchlesses are known for. Or I can use EQ post dirt pedals to shape the distortion in a different way.

The good news is there are no rules. My preferred way isn’t better, just another thing to try with your own gear and see what it does for you.

My boosts (PJ Lift and Suhr KokoBoost) also have a bit of EQ for tone shaping going into the dirt pedals. When I use dirt pedals, I like to cut the low frequencies a little for less mud, or boost the mids for more presence for solos.

Can’t have too many EQ stages, as far as I’m concerned. You just never know what you’re going to need on any given day/session/gig. :)

Les and I both run our sh!t pretty much exactly the same. I kinda got in the habit of using single channel amps out of necessity because I was renting or using backlines a lot, and having extra eq was extremely helpful by not being able to rely on specific amps.

Doc, if you feel like there aren’t enough graphic eq pedal options, and are looking for something higher quality, you should consider a rack eq. You could get a nice old Rane 31 band for your loop for about the same price or less than a Boss eq pedal.

I have one in the loop. I mostly use it as a preamp choke at low volumes at home to cook the preamp stages before it goes to the power section. That way I can knock off 12db and have it still sound good at low volume.
That’s a cool idea, thanks Max.

Les and I both run our sh!t pretty much exactly the same. I kinda got in the habit of using single channel amps out of necessity because I was renting or using backlines a lot, and having extra eq was extremely helpful by not being able to rely on specific amps.

Doc, if you feel like there aren’t enough graphic eq pedal options, and are looking for something higher quality, you should consider a rack eq. You could get a nice old Rane 31 band for your loop for about the same price or less than a Boss eq pedal.
Sergio, that is CRAZY TALK. As in AWESOME. Now all I need is a wheelbarrow that is metal as F!

I had one of those Rane EQs in my rack back in the day! Rane was quality stuff.

My rack was big!

I have one in the loop. I mostly use it as a preamp choke at low volumes at home to cook the preamp stages before it goes to the power section. That way I can knock off 12db and have it still sound good at low volume.
Many people who use them in the loop like to use them this way. Some eq shaping, then be able to crank the amp some and take the output slider below 0dB.

I just put a Pettyjohn Filter Standard (pretty sure I wouldn’t perceive the upgraded op amp live) and Crush on the brown truck. I think the rack post eq idea is brilliant, just not sure how to rig that yet. Maybe in a box with a power conditioner...

I'm pretty sure if you asked about any pedal, within 10 posts someone will subliminally suggest a 'rack' effect

..that avatar......;)

I do like to run an EQ in the loop (it depends on the amp as well) but I find it very useful to sweeten the sound. Im not doing anything drastic just small adjustments that help my tone fit in the mix or to just get my amp to that extra sweet spot. I also played a Mesa Mark IV for years and the 5 band EQ on those amps really made that amp versatile. I like a more polished sound but to each their own.

Back