Anyone tried the Highwood saddles on their Silver sky? any thoughts?

Best bent saddles ever, but the SS has a goofy string spacing so they won't fit properly to the grooves on the bridge plate.

Thank you Garret, That's a bummer. What is a solution people have found to the sharp screws problem (if it is one for enough people)? It seems to me that different lengths of screws should be available but I can't find that anywhere.

Yup, people have been grinding height screws or replacing them with shorter ones for decades. That's the price we've been paying for not using the bridge cover as Leo intended.

I did see in a review of the Highwood saddles where someone put them on a Silver Sky. The reviewer said they didn't match the grooves in the plate, but that they work fine anyway.

From what I measured the standard PRS saddles will fit , believe someone already did it with phase 3 saddles

I have them on my Strat (Road Worn 50s), but had to find the right trem plate to fit (ended up going with an American Special trem unit, which dropped right in). Great saddles!

The Highwoods come in three sizes.

2 7/32" - slightly wider than the SS. Vintage Fender width.
2 1/8" - a little narrower than the SS. Not all that common, but I have a Wilkinson trem with this spacing
2 1/16" - a lot narrower than the SS. Normal PRS saddle spacing.

Before: OOWWWW!!

414405218.jpg

After: AAHHHHHHH!!

414405219.jpg

Drop in easy. Highly recommended for S style. Unsure of working on SS, great on Fender.

From what I measured the standard PRS saddles will fit , believe someone already did it with phase 3 saddles

I know I'm a few months late, but googling something related to a SS and a Strat and this thread was a top result Lol Any who, when I bought my SS in 2019 I instantly swapped the saddles with the standard CORE PRS saddles. Not only did it look better, but felt better on the palm and hand. I highly suggest it. I don't know how to include pictures, otherwise I would.

I bought the StewMac Squier Strat Hardware Upgrade Kit and put it on a Squier I bought as a project guitar. I installed a Mojotone pre-wired pickguard with lipstick pups and the hardware kit which includes the Highwood saddles. Much more comfortable than the standard saddles.

Thought i'd pop in and say that i finally gave Highwood saddles a try - i was too tired of my hands getting jabbed when resting my palm on the stock saddles + they had rusted a lot.
I got the 10.50mm string spacing ones and they work just fine on my 2018 American SS. Like someone else said, they don't fit in the grooves like the original saddles (i think because of the height-adjustment screw's size + spacing between them) but after tuning the guitar to pitch and gently pushing them into place, the string spacing looks to be about 99% as good as the original which is great.

They feel so much better against my right hand, so i am very happy with the change. Can't say much about sound, they might sustain slightly worse than the original PRS saddles but that could be my mind playing tricks on me, guitar still sounds great.
Time will tell whether these will collect rust to the same degree as the originals (i have hyper toxic hand sweat, it's a pain) but since it's such an inexpensive replacement it wouldn't even bother me if they do.

Hope this clears some things up for other folks in the same position, it sure took me a while to take the plunge and give them a try :8

Thought i'd pop in and say that i finally gave Highwood saddles a try - i was too tired of my hands getting jabbed when resting my palm on the stock saddles + they had rusted a lot.
I got the 10.50mm string spacing ones and they work just fine on my 2018 American SS. Like someone else said, they don't fit in the grooves like the original saddles (i think because of the height-adjustment screw's size + spacing between them) but after tuning the guitar to pitch and gently pushing them into place, the string spacing looks to be about 99% as good as the original which is great.

They feel so much better against my right hand, so i am very happy with the change. Can't say much about sound, they might sustain slightly worse than the original PRS saddles but that could be my mind playing tricks on me, guitar still sounds great.
Time will tell whether these will collect rust to the same degree as the originals (i have hyper toxic hand sweat, it's a pain) but since it's such an inexpensive replacement it wouldn't even bother me if they do.

Hope this clears some things up for other folks in the same position, it sure took me a while to take the plunge and give them a try :8

You could replace the M3 height screws by DIN914 M3 x 6 mm screws; these have a pointy end so they do fit better into the grooves.

DIN-914-RVS-M3-x-6.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I bought a used Silver Sky with rusty saddles. I was very happy with the Highwood saddles on my MiM Fender. @detri You are still happy with the 10.5 Highwood saddles? Then I would also order the times.

I am not a Native Speaker and do not understand the problem with the string groove. That is the notch in which the string lies, right? How is the screw @marcel.dam linked going to help with that?

I don't have a SS, but put Highwood saddles on my Warmoth. Functionally and comfort-wise the are great. I found they dulled the sound a little though. I found screws for the Fender saddles that did not stick out. If I had to, I would have ground them down.

Back