Anyone move on from their SE SAS??

Russ73

After fret sprout...easy fix...I now have a bad switch, I know not a big deal but I'm getting fed up...my S2s and Core get most play time not sure I'm in a great headspace with it....thoughts?

It seems the maple fret boards of most all brands are more susceptible to fret sprout. It was only after plugging my SE SAS into my Hot Rod Deluxe that I heard what a unique and amazing guitar it really is. For me, this guitar is worth the effort of fixing the sprout and switch, but I really love the tones on it, and that is just me. Do you have any return options?

I have a Core SAS, and an SE SAS as well. Truth be told, I actually prefer the sound of the SE for many things. I just put a core trem on it (hated the SE trem, I'm a trem abuser), and it's great.I also have locking tuners on it. It'll go off to the luthier in a couple of weeks to get the frets fixed. Curiously, none of my other PRS maple necks have any issues. My SE Custom 24 with a Roasted maple neck is the most stable guitar I have. When it's 90+ degrees with insane Maryland humidity, that's my outdoor guitar. My core guitars never budge.

Last edited:
I’m kind of surprised they didn’t go with roasted maple for the neck and fretboard. I’ve seen a few SE SAS for sale second hand locally, which is surprising given they just came out.

I have an SE SAS and swapped to locking PRS tuners, a Mann brass bridge, core 85/15 TCI pickups, new Bourns volume and tone pots, the tone with a Push-Push, and a 6-position Freeway switch. The Freeway switch splits both humbuckers, the push-push adds the middle pickup to any position. I also blocked the trem. All these changes made the SE closer in feel to my core guitars. The sale price of the SE was too good to pass up and I wanted to try an SE.

I’m kind of surprised they didn’t go with roasted maple for the neck and fretboard. I’ve seen a few SE SAS for sale second hand locally, which is surprising given they just came out.
I got one 3 months ago for $440 used. I suspect that the seller wasn’t a very good player and expected the guitar to make up for that. The tuners were very loose, and someone had decked the trem like a Strat. Also, some people just want flavor of the month, and don’t really play their guitars. That’s good for people like me.

No need to keep something you're not happy with. Too many good alternatives out there. A soft, porous fretboard and fret sprout were enough to make me move on from this one:
BPD38290.jpg

I swear I’m not going to comment any more on this stuff. It’s a factory issue and not just related to the PRS brand. The entry level or less expensive guitars today (however you wish to identify them lol), are physically beautiful (any brand) BUT that’s where it ends. Better play the one you’re going to buy or be ready to spend on a decent setup and a few parts very early into the honeymoon. That being said still better guitars today than when I started to play. I’ll be honest a say when I buy one of these guitars the expectation is so high (having core, US guitars) that it’s almost impossible to meet. There is always an exception finding a killer specimen again any brand. Aside from the MIK PRS SE’s I’ve never been able to keep any other. They just don’t have it, I know I can’t even tell ya what it is but it’s enough to move on from them. All these manufacturers are in a tough spot in that entry/lower mid price range, they really have to work it to produce a worthy product.

I've got no fret sprout on my SE SAS, in fact the neck could hardly be more perfect except for being the Wide/Thin. That didn't stop me from picking up an S2 Standard 24 Satin McCarty burst recently. Same 85/15s pickups but with Pattern Regular neck, one piece mahogany body and dots! Those last three along with the S2 carve and the lighter weight have me reaching for the S2 first. Love the satin finish and I much prefer the S2's asymmetrical beveled carve over the SE's. Also, the Pattern Regular neck is about perfect. Can't think of anything I'd change. I even like the pickguard.

I swear I’m not going to comment any more on this stuff. It’s a factory issue and not just related to the PRS brand. The entry level or less expensive guitars today (however you wish to identify them lol), are physically beautiful (any brand) BUT that’s where it ends. Better play the one you’re going to buy or be ready to spend on a decent setup and a few parts very early into the honeymoon. That being said still better guitars today than when I started to play. I’ll be honest a say when I buy one of these guitars the expectation is so high (having core, US guitars) that it’s almost impossible to meet. There is always an exception finding a killer specimen again any brand. Aside from the MIK PRS SE’s I’ve never been able to keep any other. They just don’t have it, I know I can’t even tell ya what it is but it’s enough to move on from them. All these manufacturers are in a tough spot in that entry/lower mid price range, they really have to work it to produce a worthy product.
My SE Paul's and my SE SAS, both Indonesian were set up perfectly out of the box. Frets perfectly level, no fret sprout and the ends were as good or better than my S2, and my core McCarty.

I didn't get an SE SAS, but I got an SE CE 24, and I have indeed moved it along - but only because I just don't get along with the wide thin neck. I always want to, but it's just not the neck profile for me. There were no other issues with mine - fretwork was great, electronics were great, it was a very nice guitar.

After fret sprout...easy fix...I now have a bad switch, I know not a big deal but I'm getting fed up...my S2s and Core get most play time not sure I'm in a great headspace with it....thoughts?
The fret sprout I had was on a rosewood 24 08. Easy fix and still love the guitar. My two maple neck guitars are perfect and remain so.

The WMI SEs were an exception rather than the rule IMO.

I kinda have a cutoff point of around 2013 when it comes to buying them.

I've got no issues with my SE SAS 4 months in and plan on keeping this guitar for a long while.
My Vela Vernon Reid, on the other hand, just started developing a bum volume pot, but I've already got the replacement to install.
That guitar also is going nowhere as it's a monster and a total joy to play.

I've got no issues with my SE SAS 4 months in and plan on keeping this guitar for a long while.
My Vela Vernon Reid, on the other hand, just started developing a bum volume pot, but I've already got the replacement to install.
That guitar also is going nowhere as it's a monster and a total joy to play.
I have 5 S2s at the moment...the earliest 2 that I grabbed almost 10 years now, both needed volume replacements ...the VR is killer guitar btw!

Back