Anyone Have Nut Wear Issues That Leads To Buzzing?

blujonz

Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum and a huge PRS fan. I think these are the best made, playing and sounding guitars and I have a lot of guitars of all kinds. I have 3 American made PRS': the Custom 24, 408MT and SC 58. I love all of them and they're my main gig axes, especially the 408 as it's so versatile and is perfect for the cover band work I do.

But... I'm experiencing an issue with nut wear that I'm curious to know if my fellow PRS owners have encountered.

My Custom 24 is currently in the PRS Tech Center getting a new nut and fret re-crown. It's a 2011 model. Last year I noticed that the open D string began buzzing and it got worse. At first it was just the open D string and then the open A. I couldn't adjust the buzz out and suspected nut wear. So I sent it to the PRS TC and sure enough, the PRS tech confirmed the nut slot's too deep, so the guitar's getting a new nut and re-crown to address fret wear; but the buzz itself was caused by nut slot depth.

Now, my 2013 408MT is also developing a slight buzz on the open D string. It's slight right now and not a big deal, but that's how it started on my CU24. The guitar plays perfectly otherwise and it's set to factory spec all around. Sure, I can raise the saddle a bit but as you know, that's a band-aid and given my experience with the CU24; eventually it gets to the point the amount of saddle adjustment necessary to eliminate or reduce the buzz will throw the string radius out of whack and introducing relief to the neck won't be enough to compensate either.

So my question to you all is... have you had similar experiences? None of my Gibsons and Fenders developed nut wear like this even after decades of playing... and yet, I have 2 PRS' that are 5 years old and less, appearing to wear down at the nut in the same spot, way too soon. I can't imagine I'm that much of an animal to cause it, but anything's possible. : )

Thanks guys... and despite this, I still love my PRS' and play them constantly.

I haven't had any problems with the nuts. I did have one guitar that had some buzz one one string, but not do to the nut. PTC sorted it out.

I'd be interested to know if the buzz on the second guitar is also due to nut wear. I'm also a bit curious how aggressive you are with your strings - really just curious, not meaning to be a jerk - I kind of want to see you play because what I imagine might be my kind of music.

Maybe ask a tech or PTC to put a different type of nut material on? Bone might last longer but may be less slippery. I agree that is unusual to wear a nut down over time period that you did. Perhaps you use the trem a lot more than most?

My other suggestions is also to buy a lot more guitars and spread around the play time :)

haven't experienced this.

How were the first and second frets?
First and second frets were ok with some minor wear, third fret had some deeper divots as well as the next 2 - 3 frets up. Despite this, I did try an experiment at one point.... I put a tiny bit of tin foil in the slot and the buzzing stopped... but it sounded like crap. So at that point I pretty much knew the nut slot wore down.

I haven't had any problems with the nuts. I did have one guitar that had some buzz one one string, but not do to the nut. PTC sorted it out.

I'd be interested to know if the buzz on the second guitar is also due to nut wear. I'm also a bit curious how aggressive you are with your strings - really just curious, not meaning to be a jerk - I kind of want to see you play because what I imagine might be my kind of music.

I guess I can be a bit aggressive on the strings. I really like digging into the fingerboard, kind of like Stevie Ray did, although I would never compare myself to him. :) Point is, I like the percussive effect, almost a snap like approach on the fretboard with vibrato and a lot of contact. I love blues, also all American roots styles including country and jazz. I play clean most of the time but love overdrive and really dig getting a good old blues solo and shred. I'll see if I can find a vid with a close up, I think I might have one... but you know, I'd be very surprised that I could be that tough on my neck! I'm not a strong man. :)

Maybe ask a tech or PTC to put a different type of nut material on? Bone might last longer but may be less slippery. I agree that is unusual to wear a nut down over time period that you did. Perhaps you use the trem a lot more than most?

My other suggestions is also to buy a lot more guitars and spread around the play time :)

Good idea on the nut material. This is what I suspect actually, and why I'm asking other PRS owners about this. I've never had nut wear on any other guitar that I own. I have several Gibsons and Fenders, most of which I've had for decades... and yet 2 out of my 3 PRS' seem to be wearing down prematurely in just that one area. I don't use the trem much either. And when I do it's for a subtle shimmer type effect on chords, not dive bombs or anything crazy.

I have yet to have any problems with a PRS nut If I were you just buy a couple ( they come in two packs ) and replace them ( simple job ) when they start to buzz for you.

I have yet to have any problems with a PRS nut If I were you just buy a couple ( they come in two packs ) and replace them ( simple job ) when they start to buzz for you.

Yeah, I think I'll wind up doing that. I only sent in the CU24 to get a professional confirmation... I've been setting up my own guitars for years and really suspected the nut and they confirmed it. So, looks like I'll be going through them like toothpicks. :oops:

Just as I imagined. I loved watching him play.

Bro I saw him once and will never forget it. I was right up front, right in front of him. He was the most intense player I've ever seen. He never looked at his guitar. He looked possessed by God with music and sweat pouring down.

Bro I saw him once and will never forget it. I was right up front, right in front of him. He was the most intense player I've ever seen. He never looked at his guitar. He looked possessed by God with music and sweat pouring down.
Sure was. I saw him at a small venue and at one point he just sat down on the front of the stage and played. I don't think anyone in the place was aware of how long he played before he got up and went back to the set. It was magic.

Sure was. I saw him at a small venue and at one point he just sat down on the front of the stage and played. I don't think anyone in the place was aware of how long he played before he got up and went back to the set. It was magic.

Sorry, I have to get in on the SRV love. My home email address starts with SRV.....Man, do I miss him. I was lucky enough to see him 6 times, from a small 800 capacity dance hall to a big outdoor venue. The first time was standing in the 2nd row at that dance hall and the last was on the first of those two fateful nights at Alpine Valley. If I had to describe his playing in one word, it would be magical. I'm smiling sitting here thinking back almost 30 years to those shows. Time goes by too quick.....

Now, back to the OT; I have never head a nut Issue with any of the PRS I own, or have owned. I once bought a 2001 SC that was in desperate need of a total refret (it was dirt cheap due to that), but there was nothing wrong with the nut. Sounds like you've got a handle on things though.

I have had the same experience with my 2005 H2. First the D, then the A. Will be replacing the nut next time I am in Nashville. Interestingly, the compensated nut on my 2009 305 (which is different from the standard nut style) is outstanding.

Back