Anyone find the 305 bridge pickup a little thin?

H2-DGT

Just comparing the one on mine to the neck and middle, which sound lush. I used to have an EJ strat, and it seems like I remember the bridge pup on that guitar having a bit more midrange and growl to it. The 305 sounds really good in position 2, but on the rear pickup alone it seems like it just doesn't have that much oomph to it. Thoughts?

Try raising it up a bit. That's a problem I've had for years with Strats, my present one excepted, but a lot of them can sound thin and shrill on the bridge pickup. The only 305 I've tried sounded great in all positions, and if I didn't already have my 21-year-old Custom Shop Strat, I'd have bought a 305. Pickup height is really crucial on Strats, maybe on 305's too--but the 305 I tried sounded at least as good as my Strat. I do have a Brent Mason Signature, and I can get some good Strat-like tones out of it, as well as good humbucker tones that I can't get out of the Strat.

Ditto to what jfine said. My 305 sounds awesome in all positions. Definitely a pickup height issue.

I found lowering the neck and mid pickup and raising the bridge really helped the balance between the pickups.
I have always liked the neck and mid pickups in anything single coil better anyway

Thanks. The guitar has such a huge sonic range, from buttery to biting, that it's taking me while to really get the tones balanced and consistent.

Back