Anyone else have issues with their SE?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
I've had more cosmetic issues, like cracking binding that had to get buffed out at the factory and then when it came back, there was a quarter sized chip on the right of the bottom strap button which PRS did an amazing job fixing. However this week I have been having electronics issues. My pickup selector is the culprit and what happens is that I switch it to say the bridge pickup and there is a LARGE drop off in volume. I jiggle the switch around and then it works. But I jiggle it around some more and all the pickups have a drop off in volume. I'm taking it in today to an authorized PRS dealer in Edgewater Maryland and I hope it will get fixed.

I've had more cosmetic issues, like cracking binding that had to get buffed out at the factory and then when it came back, there was a quarter sized chip on the right of the bottom strap button which PRS did an amazing job fixing. However this week I have been having electronics issues. My pickup selector is the culprit and what happens is that I switch it to say the bridge pickup and there is a LARGE drop off in volume. I jiggle the switch around and then it works. But I jiggle it around some more and all the pickups have a drop off in volume. I'm taking it in today to an authorized PRS dealer in Edgewater Maryland and I hope it will get fixed.

PFB,

What model SE is this you're referring to? TBH, my S2 SC Satin was sent fr. the retailer with a bum 3-way toggle (neck pickup worked, but middle and bridge were DOA). Rather than send it back, I asked the retailer f they'd allow a local tech (not GC) to check it out and try to solve the problem. Turned out the issue was faulty wiring (though the tech recommended replacing the switch just to be sure). The tech gutted the wiring and replaced it with 22 gauge (?) factory spec.

The guitar came back repaired, but had this slight ambient hum on coil-tapped hum buckers. My other S2 SC Std doesn't hum when coil-tapped, so I guess it was the build quality of the Satin that caused the hum.

Faulty switches are relatively common issues when guitars are shipped in gig bags. If the switch gets jostled or handled roughly before or during transit, it can lead to a faulty switch. Sometimes the key to solving that problem is to isolate the switch with some bubble wrap or polyurethane foam overlay to bed sure the switch stays where it is inside the gig bag.

Hope your SE arrives home safe and sound. Glad to hear the cosmetic issues were solved beforehand, and that the toggle is your only guitar-related worry currently.

Last edited:
MY only issue has been the switch in my SE245; It sometimes drops the bridge pickup. I've taken it out and looked at it and it appears to function correctly. So why it doesn't always work is a mystery to me, but I have a Switchcraft 3-way toggle that I'm going to put in today.

Back