Anyone compares the 509 and the Studio?

Sheena_Ringo

Since I can't compare these two models in my city, so I wonder who has own or tried these two models? If so, plz let me know the tonal difference between these two models. I am looking for a guitar which is ideal for recording session.

I have Paul's Guitar and McCarty which I really like, I think Paul's Guitar is great for recording session, but the downside is it doesn't have the tremolo bar. I have tried my friend's 513 before which I also really like, it makes me wanna buy a 509 (I think 509 is good enough), and I have watched some youtube videos for the Studio model, it sounds fantastic, but I don't have the chance to try this one in my city.

So if anyone has own or tried both 509 and Studio, plz let me know which one suits me better, thanks

Depending on which year, the Studio has had several iterations. In recent years, it has a standard humbucker and two narrowfield, all cool pickups. The previous version was a HSS, a configuration that many love but I never came to grips with. The 513 gave me both HB and singles across the body, and was a perfect fit. I’d assume the 509 to be very similar. The newer Studios, with the NF humbuckers in middle and neck positions, would give great range too, but my experience with 513s would make me suggest the 509 if you have no opportunity to hear for yourself.

Good, you are likely putting the trigger on a 509.
I didn't compare it with a Studio, but I had the opportunity of playing a Fiore at the same venue I was with my 513.
That said, a 509 is not a reduced 513 without Full Humbucking Mode. 509 have different pickups, they are more like vintage pickups (with lower output).
A Fiore could be some guitar model to take into your consideration. It played well, sounded good, but not convinced me to purchase as a additional guitar to my 513.
Another question is, why you don't buy a used 513?

Good, you are likely putting the trigger on a 509.
I didn't compare it with a Studio, but I had the opportunity of playing a Fiore at the same venue I was with my 513.
That said, a 509 is not a reduced 513 without Full Humbucking Mode. 509 have different pickups, they are more like vintage pickups (with lower output).
A Fiore could be some guitar model to take into your consideration. It played well, sounded good, but not convinced me to purchase as a additional guitar to my 513.
Another question is, why you don't buy a used 513?
I thought the 509 has the same pickups as the 513, lol. Thank you for telling me about this. My friend's 513 really impressed me, it made me fall in love with it. The reason I choose 509 because I don't think I need those 13 different sounds, 9 sounds are more than enough for me. By the way, I prefer vintage sounding pickups, I just read this: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/anyone-had-a-chance-to-compare-513-vs-509.20658/

If Dancing Frog's description about the 509's sound is accurate (which I believe it is), then I am sure the 509 is the perfect recording session guitar for me.

I am sure Fiore is a fantastic model like other PRS models, but personally I don't really like HSS guitar, this is very subjective. Thank you for recommending the Fiore to me :)

Then you can offer any pickup lesser auditive output as long your guitar has a volume knob to adjust the volume or drive (according to the given amp). By Dancing Frog is an expert on the 513 and 509. Clear Humbucking (513) is not exactly the same voicing of the second mode stage of a 509, but not too different.
From factor versatility and price point, it would chose 513.

Last edited:
Back