Any Thoughts on the Martin Simpson model?

Rosewoodsteel

Wondering if anyone owns or has owned the Martin Simpson PS model.
If so, what are your thoughts on the 1 7/8" nut and how does it feel switching from that to other, more standard sized guitar necks?

I do not have the Martin Simpson, but I have other acoustics with a 1 7/8” nut and quite like it.

I don’t really notice switching except to my really narrow tele.

Probably worth noting that my most played guitar is a classical with the nut over 2”.

Last edited:
I have the Tonare PS with the wider neck option. I took a flyer on it. I had an earlier Tonare with the standard neck made of different woods and figured, why not try it?

It’s fine but I’m a flatpicker. It’s not an issue strummed, but requires a playing technique adjustment when I want to pick it.

Since having a bit of nerve damage in my fretting hand it takes a few minutes to reacquaint myself with the string spacing.

It’s not a terrible thing to adjust to. It’s designed for fingerstyle players. I wouldn’t say don’t get that option. It suits lots of players.

If you play fingerstyle you’ll find it nice.

I'm relatively new to wider nut acoustics. I've played a D-35 since I got it new in 74. I believe it has a 1 11/16 nut. When I picked up a D-18GE, the 1 3/4 nut was a bit of an adjustment. I figured we were only talking about 1/16th of an inch, so how different could that be?.. It sounds like the 1 7/8 would require the same sort of adjustment. I do some finger picking, which I enjoy, but like to switch off to my other guitars during a session.

I have the Tonare PS with the wider neck option. I took a flyer on it. I had an earlier Tonare with the standard neck made of different woods and figured, why not try it?

It’s fine but I’m a flatpicker. It’s not an issue strummed, but requires a playing technique adjustment when I want to pick it.

Since having a bit of nerve damage in my fretting hand it takes a few minutes to reacquaint myself with the string spacing.

It’s not a terrible thing to adjust to. It’s designed for fingerstyle players. I wouldn’t say don’t get that option. It suits lots of players.

If you play fingerstyle you’ll find it nice.
Thanks! I do some fingerstyle as well as flat picking. The Simpson model is listed as having a 1 13/16 nut. My guess is the extra 16th of an inch shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

The Martin Simpson PS model has a wider 1 7/8" nut, which provides more space between strings, making fingerstyle playing and chord stretches easier. Transitioning to or from guitars with standard nut widths may initially feel different but can be adapted to. The choice between wider and standard nut widths comes down to personal preference and playing style.

Last edited:
The Martin Simpson PS model has a wider 1 7/8" nut, which provides more space between strings, making fingerstyle playing and chord stretches easier. Transitioning to or from guitars with standard nut widths may initially feel different but can be adapted to. The choice between wider and standard nut widths comes down to personal preference and playing style.
Very true.
Welcome to the forum

I have only played Tony McManus's personal guitar he handed me once before a gig. Sounded great when he played it.

The intricate craftsmanship of the Martin Simpson model guitar resonates deeply with my passion for ringtones. Just as this exquisite guitar embodies the essence of Martin Simpson's musical genius, tailored for the nuanced sounds of folk and blues, I see ringtones as a reflection of personal musical taste and identity.

Nothing screams "highest quality instruments designed and built by master craftsman" more than a seven-second Family Guy ringtone.

Back