any non guitar influences on playing?

The first instrument that I really learned how to play was the trombone. Played from 5th grade through high school, on into college, and some pickup groups over the years. I marched, played in orchestras, and played a lot of jazz and blues. I was exposed to a lot of outstanding musicians over the years.....way too many to list.....and of course I picked up on different things. It was a good thing as I prefer rock, hard rock, metal, punk, and rockabilly when playing guitar. I'll switch from Matchbox 20 to Deicide when I'm warming up or practicing.

So how does playing trombone (and those experiences) translate over? Well, I can play with just about anybody. I can predict changes and even how a given individual will approach a piece. Next, phrasing and control. Knowing when to hold back and when to push it forward. How to play behind the beat, in front of the beat, on the back beat, etc. Syncopation. But most importantly, ownership of the instrument. The trombone only has a slide and no true demarcation for a note. Yeah, you can get close to your G or C at 3rd position (handle at the bell), but you have to listen to be in tune with the band.....like doing a bend on guitar. That's actually something that bugs me.....guys who love to bend and whammy but can never get it in the zone.

Yeah fam. I started life as a pianist and then woodwind player... and in terms of stringed instruments I started on bass for years before I touched a guitar. Bass was the heaviest influence and still is in terms of groove. I don't think I'd be as competent today if I hadn't played bass first. It really helps when you play with other musicians. Teaches a lot about the importance of groove and time over all else.

Eumir Deodato. It was probably John Tropea’s guitar work that caught my attention but it was Deodato’s phrasing and inflection that made such a big mark on me. That was my first album purchase with my own money at about 8 years old. Been dissecting it ever since.

I didnt know Eumir Deodato. I'm listening to him now (Rhapsody in Blue). I see what you mean about the phrasing. I'm enjoying it. Thanks.

But that’s why the gods invented amplifiers.

So thats why they ditched the Alembic wall of sound!

kirkwest_1974photo-1024x703.jpg

Sadly as I read these comments, I realize that I am really not influenced by anything other than other guitarists. Organ would be my first thought, but we had an organ in our house, a B-3 that belonged to my mom, but it was all religious all the time and I just never tasted good organ trio or Jimmy Smith style of playing, more the church lady jams....;-)

Back