any non guitar influences on playing?

Does Marty McFly play in front of that?:D
No, but Stevie McP does! :D

(/me rummages through Sergio’s dumpster, fishes out 44” TV, wipes pink champagne spittle off of screen and props it against his back door)
I think your TV is probably still ok. 11Top didn’t mention the rabbit ears sticking out of the projector. o_O

Last edited:
We're talking soccer, right?

Ok. It took awhile to get rid of that nitwit, Tom Crean. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst bench coach EVER. But just keep your eyes on Archie Miller. And Romeo Langford.

And, at least we're not the Illini. :eek: :p

Ha! True about Illinois. Not a fan, but what a bad turn for what used to be a good program. I keep waiting for the day when my Hawkeyes have a little taste of what Lute gave them...........in 1980 :(

Drums, drums and drums. Timing, rhythm, groove, playing between the beats....man, I LOVE it. Guitar came first, but I picked drums up about 25 years ago. Often I will sit back on work on time sigs, polyrhythms, and fills on the kit and then try to apply those things to the guitar.

I have a certain affinity for the Motown/soul/RnB drummers from the 60s and 70s. The Dixieland Jazz drummers are awesome, too. My real passion though is with the jazz fusion/progressive drummers of the 70s and early 80s.
Beat me to it!
Drummers!
I play rhythm guitar, and I LOVE syncing with the beat, the accents. I also love being able to move the whole band dynamic by changing rhythm patterns and volume.
Drums... I love playing drums.

Beat (pun intended) me to it. I’ve always contended that if you can’t keep time, you’re going to struggle as a guitarist. When I listen to a song, I’m like Paul Gilbert who said “my teeth are a drum kit.”

Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini to name couple of great drummers.

Dayum!
Thinkalikes!

The obvious answer would have to be 'genres' of music - if you liked Classical music, then a lot of that wasn't guitar based but may inspire you to play it on guitar. Horns too - like say the Sax in Baker Street or Stevie Wonder's Piano may inspire you to play that on your chosen instrument. The rhythm and sounds of nature on a holiday can inspire you to, there is so many things that can and have inspired musicians on their chosen instrument that are not just other musicians on those instruments.

I think that's a mark of a great musician, being able to find inspiration from anywhere and realise that musically via their instrument - not just use theory or aspects they 'borrowed' from other musicians to play something 'new' but to be inspired by anything and then use that to create something.

Back