Any Canadian folks here?

Michael Scott

Hey everyone,

I have a question for folks in Canada.
Just purchased a new Paul’s Guitar from a shop in Japan.
I have been told by the courier that I need to pay custom duties.
I know that I have to pay taxes, but I was under the impression that duties only apply to items that were made outside the US, Canada, or Mexico. (CUSMA / NAFTA agreement).

Any thoughts? Is this something that I can dispute?

Thanks

Yeah, I always get dinged with them too even if its coming from the States. Albertan / New Brunswicker here, currently in NB.

Hi,
I live in Quebec and I had the same questions as you keeping customs fees, as they are instruments of great value, I preferred to buy the nearest to me and especially not to have to pay for fees customs and other problems that can unfortunately arise during a long trip .... but unfortunately a crush has no borders!

I don't want to advertise but I finally found a cool store located in Ontario TheGuitarShop and bought two PRS, the service was excellent and the delivery was great! If it can be useful to you in the near future!!

I don't want to advertise but I finally found a cool store located in Ontario TheGuitarShop and bought two PRS, the service was excellent and the delivery was great! If it can be useful to you in the near future!!
I'll second that! They're my go-to for PRSi and anything else that I can't get at my local shop.

Cross border fees/duties are a sad fact for us hosers, eh. Sucks to be us sometimes. OK lots of times.
Good to hear about The Guitar Shop though....I'm gonna keep that in mind. But my Edmonton L&M treats me darn good too so.

You would need a certificate of origin stating it was made in the US. Duties should not apply, however, you will pay heavy brokerage fees if using a courier to clear the product.

Back