Another S2 Vela video (with some other assorted guitars)

mwong61

Hey all, been a while since I posted here about my Vela mods.

I love the sounds I'm getting out of the guitar but been tempted to go back to standard pickup selector lately......or get a second Vela heh.
Leave one stock and leave this one with my mods.

Anyway, I've been getting into building my own efx pedals and I recorded a video showcasing 3 different variants of a low-medium gain overdrive pedal that I built.

These are based on a "famous over hyped dual overdrive boutique pedal that's got a 4 1/2 year waiting list to get one". I'm sure you know which one I mean.

4Q9jSyQ.jpg

eagBjm1.jpg

I used the PedalPCB.com pcb's...and of course made a bunch of modifications to make them more usable for me. Most notably exposing the internal diode clipping selectors that are on dip switches on the original and most clones. There are so many great sounds to be had from this brilliant circuit, everything from clean boost, pushed clean to full on distortion and all points between. Seems to do it all very well.

The video features my S2 Vela and other PRS Guitars along with some other guitars. All guitar tracks were recorded using one of these 3 pedals in some form, either as a clean boost, low gain, medium gain, and some fuzz-ish sounds.

Signal chain is what you see in the pic above. Guitar->TC Polytune 3-> Keeley Compressor -> a couple of boost pedals I built (not used)-> overdrive pedals -> Apollo Twin X into a clean amp model. Reverb & Delay plugins. I only used the compressor on one track for the slide guitar solo, otherwise it's just the compression from the overdrive pedals.

Song is a play through of a beautiful tune from Tom Bukovac and Dean Deleo's "Trip the Witch" project. Highly recommended listening for some really satisfying new guitar music.

As always, Velas are magical. I highly recommend owning at least 2. Sounds great!

Great playing. Going to have to get me a Vela. Lots of enablers around here. What is this magical pedal you speak of for those not in the know?

Great playing. Going to have to get me a Vela. Lots of enablers around here. What is this magical pedal you speak of for those not in the know?
Haha, well it's the Analogman.com "King of Tone". Kind of a crazy long wait list and used ones on Reverb going for $800 or more. It was never even on my radar until just a few months ago when I watched an episode of "That Pedal Show" talking about it. Then of course I had to check one out....that's when I found out how "unobtanium" they seem to be. So I bought an offshore clone, really liked it a lot and when I started researching, I found out that the circuit has been thoroughly well documented in the DIY pedal community and that I could build one myself with better components than the clone. So that's how I got started building pedals.

Alright, just watched That Pedal Show’s King of Tone shoot out. Liked the KOT, but preferred the Love Pedal Amp 11. Now something else to perk my interest. Gonna have to get the wife something nice soon.

Op nice price of music!! I couldn't tell is that the stock bridge pup in the sweet Vela?? I just bought a used semi with a creme dimarzio...lower output whatever it is....but sounds great....

Alright, just watched That Pedal Show’s King of Tone shoot out. Liked the KOT, but preferred the Love Pedal Amp 11. Now something else to perk my interest. Gonna have to get the wife something nice soon.
Unfortunately, the LovePedal Amp 11 has been discontinued as well. There's a replacement for it with a different name as I recall.

Op nice price of music!! I couldn't tell is that the stock bridge pup in the sweet Vela?? I just bought a used semi with a creme dimarzio...lower output whatever it is....but sounds great....
Yah the pickups are stock but in this recording I am only using the neck pickup. The "Bird" in the title of the song refers to Tom Bukovac's Gibson Firebird that he plays and talks about in one of his "Home Skoolin" YouTube videos. I know the Vela Type D single coil is not anywhere close to a Firebird mini humbucker in output but I found it interesting that I could kind of get a little bit of that Firebird Vibe out of the Vela neck pickup.

Back