Another PS in the oven! And how to spec a PS remotely

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Okay, so I spec'ed a Private Stock Monday, I know, but that was spur-of-the-moment. I had planned for a while to spec one today with Eric of Willcutt Guitars (my 5 year Tone Quest partner!) and Alan/yankeebulldog, my Windy City guitar gear buddy. But I couldn't make it, too much going on for work. But that didn't stop me, I am getting pretty good at this Private Stock thing, this was my fifth one I spec'ed myself.

I had the plan nailed down coming in, but for me the top dictates the vibe and the finish, I have learned, at least for me.

So I had asked Eric to pick a sick one piece quilt, and then pick some flame tops with attributes that I had described to him, and then we would compare and decide.

This was the quilt:

4346%2520Top%25201.JPG

Having experience with one-piece quilts, my reaction was "wow, that is stellar, forget the flame tops!"

Next was to have Paul M trace a Singlecut shape on there, I gave input on how to rotate the angle to line up the quilt the way I wanted it:

4346%2520Top%25202.JPG

Perfect! Okay, from there I need the core of tone for the guitar - the body and neck. I sent my two trusted guys to find the best Mahogany body and neck with a focus on the musicality of the pieces of wood. I am convinced that that is the core of creating a Tone Machine! Eric and I took great care in that regard with my Jade Glow, and the result was awesome, my best PRS of all time!

Eric and Alan came back with these - stating the body and neck were both amazing in tone with the tap test:

4346%2520Back%2520and%2520Neck.JPG

Dig the the ribbon flame on the back, that will look cool!

From there, I ask Eric to go down to the super secret Brazilian vault and select a killer Brazilian Board and veneer. Viola:

4346%2520Boards.JPG

Now I have all the woods selected, I had the spec nailed to begin with, from there it was time to nail down the finish and the bird inlay materials. I sent a bunch of example pictures and 3 potential themes/colors from the last few weeks of obsessing and combing the internet for ideas, based on what was in my head. After sending the pictures, had a conference call on speakerphone with Eric, Alan, Paul M and Tina regarding the color and vibe. All four of them were equally helpful! Locked into a final spec from that discussion.

I wish I could have been there today, but even though I wasn't, I am highly confident I will get a KILLER instrument!!

As always, thanks Tina, Paul M and Eric, you guys always do a fantastic job! Alan - Thanks a ton, glad you could help in picking all the woods, and with inputs with the team on Finish and Options!

On another note, my top here is very similar to, and comes from the same tree, as one Alan spec'ed. How cool is that?!? Pics of the two of them together, when they come in!

Wow, I am truly a Private Stock addict. Just thought I would share my story from today with you guys.

-Pete

P.S. Also, per my other thread Eric and Alan found this:

Aquamarine.JPG

...my DC 245 Sig in Aquamarine from my October trip with Eric, all done and ready to ship!

A good week for me with regards to PRS and guitars!!

Great post Pete. You definitely are becoming a real Pro at creating awesome PS instruments. I may ask you for some tips when I am ready to pull the trigger on my first PS hopefully around the time of the next Experience or sooner!!

Man, when I put my guitars in the oven they never come out looking like that! :)

Looks awesome, congrats!

Back