Another PRS Vela bridge pickup swap post

Bryce Dukes

I have browsed numerous posts on this thread about pickup swaps for this guitar. I have had great success with SD Antiquity 2 Firebird for the neck (I wax potted it). I loved the D type neck pickup that originally came with it, but I was constantly fighting noise issues at various venues. I would suggest that pickup to anyone who wants something similar, but without the hum.

I am planning on buying another Vela soon and plan on switching the bridge pickup in this one to play more aggressive styles. I like the Starla bridge pickup for my cover band. It covers a lot of ground and really sits well in the mix, but it doesn't fare well with palm muted fast riffing. I am looking for a pickup that will match well with either another Antiquity neck or a mini bucker neck, so I am not necessarily looking for high output (as I still would like to play cleans) so much as I am focused on getting a tighter response. I saw a member posting about Railhammer Hyper Vintage and another member posting about the Andy Timmons Dimarzio. Looking for any feedback. Thanks in advance!

The SD 78 did well for a little more drive, presence, and articulation. That’s their “Eddie” pickup and can deliver that kind of edge but responded well to he guitar’s volume control.

I've toyed with putting a Railhammer Hyper V in one of my Velas, though I do quite like the stock bridge pickup. I've had a couple Reverends with the Railhammers and they're great pickups. For more aggressive styles you might want to look at the Railhammer Chisel.

Back