Another Cool New Pedal

Get the right guitar and amp, and you shouldn't need an EQ anyway.
Lots of players can do without an EQ pedal some of the time, but they can't do without an EQ pedal all of the time, because there are lots of uses for an EQ that's external to the amp. Here's why:

All amplifier tone controls have a single turnover frequency that the controls operate on, unlike a parametric EQ like you find on recording consoles. The EQ creates either a shelf or bell curve centered around that frequency. That's great - but it's not always the frequency you need to shape!

If your amp's bass control has a Baxendall curve (many do), turning down the bass starts cutting the frequencies slightly at 1 kHz - right in the midrange where you generally want more push, not less push, and then gets more extreme as the frequency of the signal goes lower.

Fine, but what if you want to hear good bass, but cut the mud below only 200 Hz without affecting the midrange?

This is one example where you need a parametric or multi band graphic EQ with the sliders. And you want this EQ ahead of the first gain stage to prevent mud from the very first preamp tube -- meaning, before you get to the amp's EQ.

Similar discussions can be had about midrange and treble controls.

You can, quite simply, be a lot more surgical with an EQ pedal if it's a good design.

In a room that has problems, or a stage that resonates and exaggerates 100z, do you really want to cut the bass starting at 1kHz? Or would you rather focus on the problem frequency? Because your amp's tone controls won't do that. An EQ can.

In the session world, you see a lot of EQs on pedalboards, because used in front of the amp, they're great tone-shapers; for example, an EQ can affect what frequencies break up when the signal hits the first preamp tube, pre-EQ. That creates a different sound from EQing after the first preamp stage or two with the amp's controls.

Amps also work a lot harder to reproduce low frequencies. Most mud in an amp is caused by distortion at the first gain stage before the EQ (v1). Once a signal is muddy, all the EQ on an amp isn't going to cure it. This is another reason producers like EQ pedals on players' boards. Know why an AC30 can be as loud as a 100 Watt amp? Because the bass frequencies were intentionally filtered out in the amp's design.

In a similar way, you can use an EQ pedal to create different responses from distortion pedals, accentuate frequencies that will be modulated with modulation pedals, eliminate mud in the pedals ,or make a Singlecut sound more like a Strat for one song.

You'll see players like Pete Thorn and Tim Pierce with some kind of EQ on their pedalboards. In Pete's case, that's sometimes just a treble boost ahead of his dirt boxes to affect how they break up, but Pierce uses a multi-band EQ pedal for the reasons I mentioned above.

Then there's the creative aspect of tone shaping and what you can do with EQ to sculpt sounds.

So yes, there are lots of reasons to have an EQ pedal and I've only addressed a few of them.

Last edited:
Oh, I know some people use EQ pedals, and I know all the reasons. I own one, "just in case". Like I said, if I want to plug my P90 tele into my octal Harmony 8418 (only a volume control), it needs some kind of an EQ pedal to make it sound right (not so with my #1 tele and the Harmony: that is perfection.)

But the right guitar and amp combination should give you the tone you seek, no pedals, and if it doesn't you need to be looking for a different guitar or amp. My $0.02

That goes for overdrive pedals too: if you don't love the sound of your guitar & amp AS IS, that's where you need to start looking to correct the issue. Not start adding pedals. Pedals work as a stopgap, but you need to right gear to start with.

That goes for overdrive pedals too: if you don't love the sound of your guitar & amp AS IS, that's where you need to start looking to correct the issue. Not start adding pedals. Pedals work as a stopgap, but you need to right gear to start with.
I'll quibble a bit with this, too. I like 99% of my dirt to come from the amp. And having the right amp and guitar are indeed the most important things. But to pronounce that pedals are stopgaps is painting with far too broad a brush - or would that be too narrow a brush? Regardless, it's the wrong brush.

The amp and guitar are the meat and potatoes, and certainly you have to start a recipe with good ingredients. I have some fantastic guitars and amps, the ingredients are what I start with. This is typical of most players I know who do sessions.

But sometimes it's great to add spices for flavor.

An overdrive can be a wonderful color box with ANY amp, even one's favorite, bestie, coolest, most loved amp. Then, too, run a dirt pedal into a wah or modulation pedal, and I've added a ton of very different character. I don't even use the gain on my pedals sometimes - often I use them at unity gain, no boost, no dirt added, and use 'em just for that little bit of tone color they throw into the mix.

Sure, there are times you want the tone of an amp, plain and simple. But often a little color in the right spot can transform what you're playing, make it more exciting or interesting, and better meet the creative needs in a track or a song.

I get that some players want to sound consistent or the same all the time. That's great! More power to 'em. I know visual artists who create only with pencils, or with pen and ink, etc. But there are also painters who use color effectively.

These are creative choices, not choices made from necessity.

However, guitar straight into amp is a creative choice, too, and I can respect that just as much.

There are excellent reasons to add a little spice that are certainly not stopgap measures.

Last edited:
But sometimes it's great to add spices for flavor.

It is. But they should be spices - not the main course. Again, this is all my $0.02.

I keep thinking of guys like David Grissom. 95% of the time, all he's got on is his DGT, DG30, and a delay for a little slapback. That's it.

I also believe there is no "right or wrong" way: you do whatever it takes to make the sound you hear in your head. I'm all for that. I'm not saying EQ pedal et al are crutches, I'm just saying that you have to get the guitar and amp right FIRST.. and when you do find the perfect pairing, you realize all the pedals are just flotsam and jetsam. Just as you said- nice for spices once in awhile.

And this is coming from a guy who owns WAY too many pedals (I'm actually getting ready to have a big pedal sell-off, and I'll STILL have too many. I wish this forum had a "for sale" section...)

Back