Another Cool New Pedal

Color me skeptical… Because it is digital
Depends what you're trying to do.

I distinguish between signal generators and signal processors - if you're generating a signal (for example, guitar amp, microphone, etc), analog is the way to go. If you're processing a signal, however, sometimes the choice will be analog, sometimes digital.

Example: When you're trying to design new and unheard sounds processing a signal, often digital is the only way to get to your destination.

Last edited:
Depends what you're trying to do.

I distinguish between signal generators and signal processors - if you're generating a signal (for example, guitar amp, microphone, etc), analog is the way to go. If you're processing a signal, however, sometimes the choice will be analog, sometimes digital.

Example: When you're trying to design new and unheard sounds processing a signal, often digital is the only way to get to your destination.
Agree in principle. My concern is, any digital pedal requires conversion in and out. Anything less than high end conversion on both ends compromises the signal either before the amp or in the loop.

if you're generating a signal (for example, guitar amp, microphone, etc), analog is the way to go. If you're processing a signal, however, sometimes the choice will be analog, sometimes digital.
Interesting classifying a guitar amp as a signal generator versus a processor. Of course it's not only an electrical analog processor but also a mechanical transducer with the speaker.

Very hard to perfectly model that analog mechanical/electrical combination digitally which is why you're not a modeling fan.

Interesting classifying a guitar amp as a signal generator versus a processor. Of course it's not only an electrical analog processor but also a mechanical transducer with the speaker.

Very hard to perfectly model that analog mechanical/electrical combination digitally which is why you're not a modeling fan.
Yes, exactly.

Agree in principle. My concern is, any digital pedal requires conversion in and out. Anything less than high end conversion on both ends compromises the signal either before the amp or in the loop.
That's OK when the effects being used are essential to the sound you're creating.

Example: Eventide's H3000 had a micro pitch shift effect that could only be done digitally at the time (and probably would be insanely costly with analog gear). It was a classic studio effect used on a ton of guitar solos in the 90s. The only way to do it was digital.

It was ported over to the H9 as well. It still sounds great in the right context. I still use it. In the right context it adds some superb spice.

I have an analog EQ pedal made by Pettyjohn that offered the upgrade option of custom op amps instead of ICs, and I ordered mine that way. It sounds wonderful, and usually I need no other EQ.

But there are things it doesn't do, and for those things, I go with digital stuff I have, either on the pedalboard or in the mix. The H9s on my board have some pretty interesting EQ features.

Lots of studio guys use H9s as effects in major label sessions with tube amps, incidentally, including Tim Pierce, Pete Thorn, and my son. So it's not like it's a bad sounding pedal that's going to screw up one's tone. Same with other good digital pedals like the ones from Strymon, etc. If this GFI pedal is as high quality, and clearly it does things nothing else does, I'd rock one on the right track, no question.

I think the question of A/D and D/A conversion in the context of guitar signals isn't the big compromise any more. Today's chips are very good, and in fact I run my signal through two H9s for some things ( example: modulation and delay, or delay and reverb).

The bigger problem I hear is with other things, like dynamics, note attack, the way analog gear modulates a signal, etc. -- but those are mostly in the algorithms used with modelers (both guitar amps and synth models). Also, as good as IRs are, they're static, unlike a real speaker driven by a real amp, where the output is modulated by the speaker's fluctuations during the entire time a note passes through.

In those instances, you're dealing with more than A/D and D/A conversion; you're dealing with more complex operations on the signal.

Last edited:
Back