Andy Timmons Halo Pedal

I’ve got it!

I’d say it’s a pretty nice delay. The “Halo” setting itself is unique to anything else I’ve tried, and very cool. The delays kind of melt like cotton candy into an aura, which is nice for getting a little more authority from the first few repeats without being overboard after that, but also not just dropping out to nothing and leaving you standing naked and repeat-less. That setting also works well in front of a pushed amp when a loop isn’t available.

The other modes (tape, analog, etc.) are good, but don’t strike me as being as good as the real deal, nor are they significantly better than emulations from other digital delay pedals.

For reference, I have the Walrus D1, and I’d say I like them about equally, sound wise, if you’ve tried that one. Both hit a certain sweet spot of being single pedal size, but with a good amount of flexibility, presets, and good sounds.

If I wanted a really nice analog delay, I’d just use the new nano DMM, and other bigger units from Strymon, etc. might offer better sounds for other things. That said, fitting things on the board and in the rig is always a consideration, which is why modest but flexible units like the Halo or D1 usually do it for me.

I’ve got it!

I’d say it’s a pretty nice delay. The “Halo” setting itself is unique to anything else I’ve tried, and very cool. The delays kind of melt like cotton candy into an aura, which is nice for getting a little more authority from the first few repeats without being overboard after that, but also not just dropping out to nothing and leaving you standing naked and repeat-less. That setting also works well in front of a pushed amp when a loop isn’t available.

The other modes (tape, analog, etc.) are good, but don’t strike me as being as good as the real deal, nor are they significantly better than emulations from other digital delay pedals.

For reference, I have the Walrus D1, and I’d say I like them about equally, sound wise, if you’ve tried that one. Both hit a certain sweet spot of being single pedal size, but with a good amount of flexibility, presets, and good sounds.

If I wanted a really nice analog delay, I’d just use the new nano DMM, and other bigger units from Strymon, etc. might offer better sounds for other things. That said, fitting things on the board and in the rig is always a consideration, which is why modest but flexible units like the Halo or D1 usually do it for me.
Thank You for Your Feedback...I really Appreciate It!

I Have One On The Way. I Got It Solely For The Andy Timmons Setting Which From What I Gather So Far Via The Videos And Interviews Is A Lovely Sound/Effect. I Have Many Other Great Delays Yet The Size And Simplicity Of This One Really Captured My Heart With That Halo Sound. I Really Look Forward To Trying That Aspect Out. Anything Above And Beyond That (To Me) Is Icing On The Cake And Will Be A Welcomed And Pleasant Surprise.

Thank You for Your Feedback...I really Appreciate It!

I Have One On The Way. I Got It Solely For The Andy Timmons Setting Which From What I Gather So Far Via The Videos And Interviews Is A Lovely Sound/Effect. I Have Many Other Great Delays Yet The Size And Simplicity Of This One Really Captured My Heart With That Halo Sound. I Really Look Forward To Trying That Aspect Out. Anything Above And Beyond That (To Me) Is Icing On The Cake And Will Be A Welcomed And Pleasant Surprise.
Ah - well, then I think you’ll like it a lot!

Actually, my purchase of the D1 was chasing after the Andy Timmons dual delay sound, too - it was before the Halo was out. The D1 has a really nice dual delay mode, but it doesn’t do the halo after-effect.

AT’s tone on “Resolution” was just perfection in every way - at that time I believe he was using a pair of big box DMM’s. He was also using Mesa Stilettos for most of his driven sounds, and I think his tone hasn’t been as good since, just a little too dry on top. Whether he’s still using the Stilettos in the studio, or he’s using his signature JHS drive through the Lonestar, I’m not sure.

This is timely for me as I'm thinking about one of these pedals. Your comments helped a lot! The only this I need to figure out now is my power supply situation because the Halo draws more current than my current power supply situation can give. I will also have to upgrade my power supply and while I know i should I just hate to do it.

This is timely for me as I'm thinking about one of these pedals. Your comments helped a lot! The only this I need to figure out now is my power supply situation because the Halo draws more current than my current power supply situation can give. I will also have to upgrade my power supply and while I know i should I just hate to do it.
Do It...You Know You Will have To Later Anyway. :)

Tomorrow Can't Get Here Soon Enough! I Haven't Been This Excited Over A Simple Pedal In A Long Long Time.

I have one, use it pretty much exclusively for the Andy Timmons Halo setting.

I don't use it for anything else, as I feel it can be difficult to dial in, with all it's "secondary controls" and such. For a delay pedal that I reach down and adjust, I FAR prefer my Deluxe Memory Boy and RE-202. That RE-202 is an absolute monster, and could easily be my only delay pedal.

But nothing does the "Halo" like the Halo. That is a very special echo sound.

I’ve got it!

I’d say it’s a pretty nice delay. The “Halo” setting itself is unique to anything else I’ve tried, and very cool. The delays kind of melt like cotton candy into an aura,

Great description! Cotton candy!

I know...I've got a voodoo labs pedal power plus 2. It would be nice to have something with a couple more outputs as well as high milliamp outputs. Thinking about the pedal power plus 3.

The Halo runs fine off a PP2+ 250ma output. Not sure what the "official" draw is, but this has been a discussion over on The Gear Page since the pedal was released. There was a bug in early units, but that's been addressed, and they run fine of 250ma.

The Halo runs fine off a PP2+ 250ma output. Not sure what the "official" draw is, but this has been a discussion over on The Gear Page since the pedal was released. There was a bug in early units, but that's been addressed, and they run fine of 250ma.
The information that I found was the Halo draws 160ma. Which is cool but I'm already using the 2 250ma outputs. Good information though, thanks!

I know...I've got a voodoo labs pedal power plus 2. It would be nice to have something with a couple more outputs as well as high milliamp outputs. Thinking about the pedal power plus 3.
I Have Been Happy With The Strymon Zuma And The Cioks/Eventide Units With The Adjustable Options. All Amazing Units!

So can the Halo be used for standard echo like a Memory man or Timeline?

Or is that Halo effect on all the time?

I like it. But I would need a more normal sounding delay most of the time.

It Does Other Sounding Delays As Well. The Halo Thing Is Just A Sound Option On The Pedal To Get Andy's Thing Going.

It absolutely can, but it would not be my first choice for that... too many features/options... I still have my Deluxe Memory Boy, because it's simple and easy. Dialing in the HALO can get a bit complicated. Yes, once you get it you can save a preset, but I just don't find it as intuitive as a "normal" delay. I have 3 settings on it I use: the HALO (which I tweaked from the stock setting), and Eric Johnson delay (about 420ms), and a shorter slapjack style (think David Grissom). But the HALO is not a delay pedal I would recommend for people who like to bend over and tweak on the fly. I'd recommend the RE-202 over the Halo for that. All the controls are right on the top, no secondary features, etc.

And as good as the HALO and RE-202 are, I'll never get rid of my Deluxe Memory Boy.

If it weren't for that very special HALO setting, I probably wouldn't own one. It's a very versatile machine, but for my uses, it's like using a hammer to kill a fly.

It absolutely can, but it would not be my first choice for that... too many features/options... I still have my Deluxe Memory Boy, because it's simple and easy. Dialing in the HALO can get a bit complicated. Yes, once you get it you can save a preset, but I just don't find it as intuitive as a "normal" delay. I have 3 settings on it I use: the HALO (which I tweaked from the stock setting), and Eric Johnson delay (about 420ms), and a shorter slapjack style (think David Grissom). But the HALO is not a delay pedal I would recommend for people who like to bend over and tweak on the fly. I'd recommend the RE-202 over the Halo for that. All the controls are right on the top, no secondary features, etc.

And as good as the HALO and RE-202 are, I'll never get rid of my Deluxe Memory Boy.

If it weren't for that very special HALO setting, I probably wouldn't own one. It's a very versatile machine, but for my uses, it's like using a hammer to kill a fly.
Thanks!

I have a couple of good delays. A Strymon Timeline and a Providence Chronos like Larry Carlton uses.

But I like that Halo effect.

It would be nice for some of my solo things if I didn't get too carried away with it, overuse it and put the audience (and myself) asleep.

Thanks!

I have a couple of good delays. A Strymon Timeline and a Providence Chronos like Larry Carlton uses.

But I like that Halo effect.

It would be nice for some of my solo things if I didn't get too carried away with it, overuse it and put the audience (and myself) asleep.
I Have Nearly Every Nice High End Delay Pedal Made And I Would Be Remiss If I Placed The Halo On The Same Overall Level As Some Of The Others I Own. I Bought It For The Halo Setting And Anything Else It Does Is A Side Note For Me (Though A Beneficial One). I Just Love That Andy Timmons Halo Thing. I Might Have Been Able To Get "That Sound" In Some Of My Other Pedals But I Don't Know For Sure. For Me, It Was Just Easier And Made Sense To Get That Pedal For That Sound And Be Done With It. Heck, It Is Most Likely Possible I Could Get The Same "Sounds" Of All Kinds Of Different Types Of Pedals (Or Close Enough For Rock And Roll) And Have Far Less Pedals But I Gravitate To Certain Pedals For Certain Sounds. I Am Fascinated By Sounds And Tones So If/When I Hear Something That Grabs Me I Just Go For It When I Can Afford It. Either Way, It Is A Really Cool Pedal That Does A Lot (If You Want It To) And Doesn't Take Up A Lot Of Space And Doesn't Cost As Much As Many Other Pedals Out There.

The Timeline And Chronos Are Wonderful Pedals. I Am Also A Big Fan Of Free The Tone Pedals. Everything They Make Is Exceptional IMO.

Back