Amp recording question

Bfarmer

Hi everyone! My first post here as a new member of the PRS club. Recently purchased a 30th anniversary cu24 and love it. There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum when it comes to recording and studio work, so maybe you guys can help me out. I have an old fender pro reverb and a Mesa mk5 25 in my basement/ practice room and I'm having issues with an click coming through the amps. Also, just general noise from appliances in the house. I'm really wanting to clean it up, to do some home recording. Do power conditioners or other devices help with this issue? Thank you all for any help. It's greatly appreciated.

I have an old fender pro reverb and a Mesa mk5 25 in my basement/ practice room and I'm having issues with an click coming through the amps. Also, just general noise from appliances in the house. I'm really wanting to clean it up, to do some home recording. Do power conditioners or other devices help with this issue? Thank you all for any help. It's greatly appreciated.

They can, but the ones that actually do anything are expensive.

Most power conditioners are merely glorified power strips, with a surge protector and if you're lucky, some EMI and RFI filtering. Great if you have lots of surges, or if you're picking up radio signals on your house wiring.

Beyond that level are an often bewildering array of gadgets, and very few of them do much. The ones that do:

1. The best is a true isolation transformer-equipped power box. This is a device that completely isolates your amp from the power in your house or your power line, and regenerates it with clean power. Some of the better ones also balance the AC (like a balanced mic cable or hum bucking pickup) to reduce noise in your system.

2. Second-best are devices that regulate the incoming power and filter it.

3. If you don't need regulation, there are boxes that have pretty effective filtering, and one has a 45 Amp power reservoir your amps can draw on.

Item #1 powers my studio. I also have a rack mount unit with item #3.

If you want to go full-hog, companies like Equi=Tech and Furman's "IT" series have long been the pioneers in these boxes. Furman also makes power filters and regulators designed for studio use and for guitar amps; their PF-1800 series are their current offerings in this area.

These run about $600 and up for anything that actually works effectively, and is worth bothering with. On the other hand, for the price of a few pedals, you can power your equipment with less hash and noise.

Thank you for the very helpful info LS! I'm probably going to have to look into something like the 1st option. I've got an almost metronome like click coming through my amps that I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing it. Plus some definite power surges. I actually blew a fuse in my pro reverb last week after switching my lights in the room to led bulbs. Does led lighting effect the power bad enough to cause surges like this or do I have something weird going on?

It shouldn't. LED bulbs are low power use. You should be better off with those. Flouresent lighting would be worse. I can see that causing an issue. I had a low oscillating type noise from a tube amp in my basement. Turned out to be the air purifier that was plugged into the power strip that was plugged into the same outlet as my amp. Not that they're doing exactly what you're asking about, but I use a Furman AC215 on one amp and a Monster Power Pro 2500. Better suited for noise filtering on digital devices, and not anywhere close to what Les is referring to, but they serve a purpose. That said, I have had fewer problems since I started using them than I had when I wasn't using them. I also cleaned up the spaghetti bowl of wires I had running everywhere too.

Last edited:
I use LED bulbs in my studio, and have no noise. Shouldn't be an issue, unless you're using a non-LED dimmer with them.

Is this your own house, or a rental?
If it's yours you may want to get the wiring checked. In my last house I had some hum being introduced in my music system. I took some plates off some outlets and discovered that whoever wired the place had put the outlets on backwards compared to the panel.
Spent the day reversing the outlets and boom... hum gone.
In your example I'd be tempted to go to the panel and shut off all the breakers except the room where the amp is. If the noise is gone then turn on one breaker at a time until you find the culprit. Then unplug devices on that breaker one at a time until you find the problem appliance.
It does sound to me like the power is weak and causing "brown outs". Do you have a meter to check the voltage?
Power conditioning is never a bad idea in any case.

Thank you for the responses. I own the house and am going to try checking the outlets this afternoon. I did have issues with the led lights fluttering due to a non led dimmer, so I replaced the dimmer with a standard switch with no dimmer. It fixed the flutters, but the same occasional surge of static/ hum still comes through the amp like it did when they would flutter. That's when I blew the fuse in the pro reverb the first time. After changing the switch, it didn't blow the fuses anymore, but now it makes no sound. I'm carrying it to a tech I trust this week and hoping I haven't messed it up too bad. I'm a noob with all this amp/electricity/engineering stuff.

Back