Amp Chronicles: aka "I want an ARCHON!"

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

In tribute to the almighty Archon, I thought I would start a thread detailing the struggles of the every day poor man who really wants an Archon, but can not yet have one. Now, truth be told, if I went to my wife and said "baby, I need this amp now. I'll gladly sell a few things and pay the money back if you let me get it," I know that she would. And she'd probably be lax on making sure I re-imbursed the checking account as well. However, this type purchases have always come from my "gear fund" which has always been funded by a little bit of savings, and otherwise selling unused items.

I am writing this, because I realize how "un-PRS forum" this type thing can be. This is a forum full of guys who on a whim decide they want a $12K PS guitar and might turn around and sell it a few years later and take a bigger hit than what I paid new for one of my PRS guitars, and not even bat an eye over it. So yes, while I envy your money, the truth of the matter is, I have a really hot wife, so that more than makes up for it. ;)

So, no, I'm not starting a "Go Fund Me" page... not begging for money. And no, this is not an advertisement for anyone who may be looking for the nicest Vox amp made, in order to fund the said monster amp. No Really. This is a thread for both those who share my struggle, and those who would like to gloat about the Archon in their music room. This is for the guy who's scrimping, saving, selling kidneys whether they're his or not, for that glorious day when a PRS Archon proudly stands in his music room. But, it's also for the frontrunners (who shall remain nameless) who already have one, and who like to poke fun at the less fortunate among us.

At this point, my ONLY consolation is, that Les doesn't have one either! That does ease the pain just a little bit.

Can't imagine who you're talking about. Tough to move a cobra in this market?

On a more serious note, many of us feel your pain. I have been super active lately selling online to balance the accounts. Most of us couldn't possibly imagine buying a PS guitar in this lifetime. But we will still poke fun :p

I've waited years to get stuff. It never bothered me. The wait for things got shorter after my kids finished school. That meant more to me than a Private Stock, or a new amp.

I like your way of getting there.

Are guys with two Archons allowed to gloat? :p I don't have any PS if that helps, and my gear is all funded by "my allowance" so you're not alone.

I found that the 100/50 is just too big for some of the clubs I play so I picked up a 25 combo which I can really open up in the smaller clubs.

In conclusion, you need an Archon. Make it happen!

I really wanted a second Archon, probably a 50, maybe a 50 combo. I still think about it. But one of the other posts "helped" me come to the conclusion that I should get a different amp as backup rather than the same amp. So I got a Shiva 20th KT88. It is one hell of a "backup" amp.

watelessness, your collection is ridiculous. By that I mean that I will probably be helping DTR to break into your storeroom sometime soon. Think "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", where he is green and I am a dog with an antler...

Last edited:
At this point, my ONLY consolation is, that Les doesn't have one either! That does ease the pain just a little bit.

It's good to be part of someone's pain relief. :)

Though an Archon is a fantastic amp, high gain isn't my thing. But I'd like to add a Custom 50 head at some point. For now, the HXDA and DG30 suit my needs, but you can never have too many PRS amps!

Last edited:
Are guys with two Archons allowed to gloat? :p I don't have any PS if that helps, and my gear is all funded by "my allowance" so you're not alone.

I found that the 100/50 is just too big for some of the clubs I play so I picked up a 25 combo which I can really open up in the smaller clubs.

In conclusion, you need an Archon. Make it happen!

Allowed? It's encouraged!

I hear that the 25 does not sound like a "small" amp due to it not being small glass/small iron. I WISH it came in head form, then I'd get a 25. That said, one reason I don't have one yet is that I want a 50, not a 100 and a couple deals came along that I could have snagged but they were 100 watters, and I just hate to get one because I'd NEVER need all that. I was actually thinking the other day, how I get a little less than ecstatic with my Mark V and all I have to do to fall in love again is turn it up a bit louder... but "that" loud is volume I can rarely get away with at home. My wife is cool, but not completely on board with cranking up a 90 watt amp at home.

watelessness, your collection is ridiculous. By that I mean that I will probably be helping DTR to break into your storeroom sometime soon. Think "The Grinch who Stole Christmas", where he is green and I am a dog with an antler...

We're there man! I mean..."(shhhhhhhh. Dave's not here!)"

I am writing this, because I realize how "un-PRS forum" this type thing can be. This is a forum full of guys who on a whim decide they want a $12K PS guitar and might turn around and sell it a few years later and take a bigger hit than what I paid new for one of my PRS guitars, and not even bat an eye over it.

I ain't got no money. As a newly minted housewife I get's mine through saving all the Target gift cards from buying two packages of toilet paper and all the change that aren't quarters that can't be used for the washing machine. :(

which among other things is why you are my idol!

Wait, did you say "housewife?" :eek:

:D

which among other things is why you are my idol!

Wait, did you say "housewife?" :eek:

:D

It's just an expression. House-husband sounds weirder.

I always say you gan get anything you want in life... as long as you're prepared to wait long enough for it.
It took me 20 years to get my second Core PRS. Just stay committed!

That is why I love my wife! She got me my Custom 24, picked the color on my Tremonti, and always asks what "guitar gear" I want for Birthdays and Christmas! She is 100% on board with my habit and actively supports what I do, which basically makes her a unicorn!

Dude, my wife has bought me 3 of my 4 core models, but one can only have so many 10th anniversaries, 25th anniversaries, 50th birthdays, etc. :(

but one can only have so many 10th anniversaries, 25th anniversaries, 50th birthdays, etc. :(
More than meets the eye. Anniversary of this, anniversary of that. When my wife refused to have a 50th birthday, I opted to celebrate when we jointly turned 100 - so I got to celebrate that too. She got me a guitar for turning 20,000 - days, I'm not quite as old as Les.

I've tried - yes, tried - to buy much of my gear with band earnings. But waiting to do 20 gigs for a guitar is nearly impossible. So I've committed to working harder at making more band money by working in another band...that will probably have to work open mic nights for the next 3 months before we'll book a paying gig.:mad: My cat got a new hip, the car gets a new front end, and my dad got a nice bottle of bourbon for Xmas instead of me getting a Kemper. But I'll make $200 at our NYE gig! o_O Dude, we all live vicariously thru everyone else around here when the gear fund is running low. Now go give your cute wife a pinch on the butt and go buy an Archon. What could go wrong? :D

I know the feeling. There seem to be a lot of purple Archon 25 combos out there looking for homes...maybe one will come to mine someday.

Back