Alpha Pots vs CTS for a PRS SE Bernie

kevin65

This has probably been discussed before but can't find any specific threads. I'm waiting on my new pickups for my PRS SE Bernie and was planning on keeping the existing alpha pots as I don't want to ream out the holes on the top. It is possible to get metric sized CTS pots, but is there anything wrong with the existing Alpha pots installed? I'd like to keep the upgrade simple and just get new pickups installed, along with an orange drop tone cap rather a full re-wire. Does anyone know when PRS upgraded some Bernie's with the 53/10 pickups did they keep the existing pots? As these upgraded guitars have the amber SE knobs it would seem to me they didn't change out the pots as part of the upgrade.

Hang on. You've got a limited SE Bernie with the 53/10 pickups? But are replacing the pickups with something else? What are you planning on doing with the 53/10s?

I have the standard Bernie with the regular SE pickups which I am going to replace, but I was asking about the upgraded Bernie model with the 53/10's to find out if these models have Alpha pots.

Ah, I see. I would imagine they would be alpha pots. I think audio taper, or 'alpha' pots are pretty standard fitment to any guitar. I would be more surprised if they weren't. I think the question is more likely to be what the tolerance is on them and how close they are to the stated 'nominal' value.
I think if you ask if anyone has installed USA PRS pots into their SE guitars you'd get some answers as to whether the core line pots fit or not (to save ordering metric versions).
The SE pots are probably good enough, but the ones fitted to core models are very nice. Smooth operation with good resistance - Freer rotation on the volume pot, slightly stiffer on the tone

I got CTS pots installed in my MIJ strat when I upgraded the pickups and they are freer than the alpha pots in the Bernie, but I prefer the feel of alpha pots. Think I'll leave the original pots in place.

No reason to chuck the Alphas if you're happy with them. I wouldn't bother replacing the cap unless you're going to change the value. You don't stand to gain anything there otherwise.

Ah, I see. I would imagine they would be alpha pots. I think audio taper, or 'alpha' pots are pretty standard fitment to any guitar. I would be more surprised if they weren't. I think the question is more likely to be what the tolerance is on them and how close they are to the stated 'nominal' value.
I think if you ask if anyone has installed USA PRS pots into their SE guitars you'd get some answers as to whether the core line pots fit or not (to save ordering metric versions).
The SE pots are probably good enough, but the ones fitted to core models are very nice. Smooth operation with good resistance - Freer rotation on the volume pot, slightly stiffer on the tone
No, in this case, "Alpha" refers to the pot brand, not the audio/log taper. The Alpha-brand pots are Asian-made and are most often used on import guitars, and have a slightly smaller shaft diameter than CTS pots, which tend to be used on U.S.A.-made guitars. If you want to switch from Alpha to CST pots (many prefer the "feel" of these) then you need to ream/drill the holes slightly to fit them.

No reason to chuck the Alphas if you're happy with them. I wouldn't bother replacing the cap unless you're going to change the value. You don't stand to gain anything there otherwise.

Wasn't planning on changing capacitance value, was thinking an orange drop capacitor would be better quality but agree there is no real point changing the original cap. Don't think my tinnitus ears would detect any difference in tone.:)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Wasn't planning on changing capacitance value, was thinking an orange drop capacitor would be better quality but agree there is no real point changing the original cap. Don't think my tinnitus ears would detect any difference in tone.:)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I recently installed CTS audio taper pots and orange drop .022 caps in my Zach Myers SE and I didn’t really notice any great change in tone But that could just be because I’m oblivious. One thing I definitely noticed is the feel was a much more smooth rotation/taper, specifically on the push pull. The alpha push pull moves with a gust of wind lol. And I did have to ream the holes a bit yes but it was literally like 3 twists from each side and done deal. Easy breezy.

I recently installed CTS audio taper pots and orange drop .022 caps in my Zach Myers SE and I didn’t really notice any great change in tone But that could just be because I’m oblivious. One thing I definitely noticed is the feel was a much more smooth rotation/taper, specifically on the push pull. The alpha push pull moves with a gust of wind lol. And I did have to ream the holes a bit yes but it was literally like 3 twists from each side and done deal. Easy breezy.
I reamed out the holes on the pickguard for my strat when I installed CTS pots and I was OK with this but dont want to go near to holes on the top of my Bernie in case I made a mistake. There are metric sized CTS pots available which will fit the existing metric holes without reaming but I didn't know about them when upgrading the strat.

The safest way to enlarge holes in a wood top is to use a reamer. Mark the desired width on the reamer with painters tape and go slow with a cordless drill or by hand if you prefer. Worked great for me.

If I'm already swapping pickups I usually just go ahead and throw in some CTS pots, because to my ears they sound clearer. Could be placebo effect? I dunno. Back when I used to assemble mongrel guitars from assorted parts, I had an experience where changing the volume pot on a guitar (don't remember what the PU config was any more) drastically improved the tone, and ever since then I just go ahead and do the upgrade.

Recently I’ve been having some issues with the Alpha pots. Some in my SE/S2’s get scratchy often, and some aftermarket ones I put in another SE for a rewire have a little spot at “0” where a little signal sneaks through still - almost like past 0, sound goes away but as it turns even further comes back again. Moral of the story, if the Alphas in your Bernie are good when you get it, I’d leave them, if they’re not, for sure go CTS.

The Alpha pots in the guitar are all working fine so will leave them for now. Beastbuckers order didn't work out so have a set of 57/08's on the way from Thomann now. Hoping they will work well with the Bernie.

The Alpha pots in the guitar are all working fine so will leave them for now. Beastbuckers order didn't work out so have a set of 57/08's on the way from Thomann now. Hoping they will work well with the Bernie.
57/08's will be awesome pickups to go with your Bernie! 53/10's are cool, don't get me wrong; but you won't need to give them one more thought once you hear those 57/08's. Great pickups.

Back