Advice needed: SE Custom 24-08 wiring/grounding issue

Reordian2010

Hi folks,
did anyone here take a look inside their SE Custom 24-08?
I have a serious suspicion the wiring/grounding on mine is off. What comes out of the neck pickup is a red heat shrink tube that only has the four red/white/black/green strans - no bare wire. The bridge pickup has a green heat shrink tube with the same set of four wires plus a white wire with a bare/braided and a white shielded wire inside.
Also, on my other guitars, when I check the continuity from the pickups (pole pieces or screws) to the jack sleeve, I get a solid beep.
Not on this one - the pickups are not grounded and the neck is a lot more noisy than the bridge.
Any advice on this? Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks

After a long examination of the two switches, it is aparent that none of the four black/white/red/green wires are grounded.
This doesnt look right.

Aside from what you think looks right, what problem are you having with the guitar?

Aside from what you think looks right, what problem are you having with the guitar?
The problem is unusual noise or hum. As an experiment, I taped a piece of wire down to the pickup highr adjustment screw and to the bridge (which is grounded) and the noise is gone. It is definitely a geounding issue.

This is my first SE and Im very disappointed that such a glaring QC issue slipped through.

The main problem I see is that my neck pickup doesnt have a bare wire or shielding braid to go to ground.

Is it supposed to be that way? Has anyone looked inside theirs? What does it look like?

Just to clarify - mine is a brand spanking new guitar bought straight from a reputable authorized retailer.

But if it's new from an authorised dealer, you shouldn't be needing to fix it, have you spoken to them?

Hi folks,
did anyone here take a look inside their SE Custom 24-08?
I have a serious suspicion the wiring/grounding on mine is off. What comes out of the neck pickup is a red heat shrink tube that only has the four red/white/black/green strans - no bare wire. The bridge pickup has a green heat shrink tube with the same set of four wires plus a white wire with a bare/braided and a white shielded wire inside.
Also, on my other guitars, when I check the continuity from the pickups (pole pieces or screws) to the jack sleeve, I get a solid beep.
Not on this one - the pickups are not grounded and the neck is a lot more noisy than the bridge.
Any advice on this? Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks
Im gonna wager the wiring on the 35th and the Pauls SE is the same. PRS wiring can be somewhat counter intuitive at times, but I think the PG schematic shimmilou pulled up will work. I had some light noise on mine at first, but It's silenced for the most part with some cavity shielding.

Exactly the same issue here. Shielding the pot/switch cavity helped somewhat but the neck pickup remains significantly more noisy than the bridge. If I connect an insulated wire from the pickup adjustment screw on the neck pickup to the bridge, the hum is massively reduced.

Exactly the same issue here. Shielding the pot/switch cavity helped somewhat but the neck pickup remains significantly more noisy than the bridge. If I connect an insulated wire from the pickup adjustment screw on the neck pickup to the bridge, the hum is massively reduced.
Oddly, I began noticing a pretty good amount of noise from the same pickup on mine. It was driving me bonkers trying to figure out what the issue was. I ended up pulling it out. :(

I've added a ground wire from the pickup to the volume pot. Much improved - now quieter than the bridge pickup. Looks like this is a something of a design fault.

Back