Adjusting Low Mass Locking Tuners on Hollowbody ll

stevenew

Hi all,

This is my first post here:) I recently bought a used Hollowbody ll custom build, I believe I am the 3rd owner of this guitar that was made for a PRS employee in 2008. It is in almost mint un-played condition, however when I got it the B & top E tuners were not behaving correctly. The B tuner was very stiff and the top E tuner loose, when you turned it the string did not move at first.

I found that on both tuners, the chrome nuts that slip over the post and screw down in to the top of the headstock were loose, so I tightened them both, I then loosened the little screw on the B tuner button (is button the right word for the part you turn on the tuner to tighten/loosen the string?), which seems to have made it less stiff, albeit a little stiffer than the rest. On the top E tuner I tightened the little screw on the button which has made the movement smoother and precise.

I just really wanted to know if I have understood the adjustment of the tuners correctly?

Also, when I have tuned the guitar to pitch (with electronic tuner) and put it in its original PRS fitted case, the next time I get it out it is slightly sharp, a gentle tug on each string brings it back to pitch. I am guessing the strings are getting a little stuck in the nut due to the downward pressure from the cushion in the top of the case lid that rests on the neck. I am using 10-46 which according to the tag was the factory setup. When I next change strings I will put a little Big Bends nut sauce in the nut slots.

Its a superb guitar, I really love the tone from the archtop PUs, I am getting used to the neck which is a little chunkier than my other guitars but is actually much easier on my ageing thumb:) I was really lucky to get this as used Hollowbodies don't come up often here in the UK, let alone a custom build signed by Paul himself! I am hoping this will be a keeper, its the only PRS I own, I used to have a 1998 Hollowbody Spruce which I sold some years ago and have regretted selling ever since.

Thanks

Steve

Hi,

I am still having a bit of an issue with my B string tuner, in that when I turn it to tighten or loosen the string the chrome nut on the top of the headstock that the post goes through actually turns when the post turns, the others don't do this. Any ideas why this is happening, its like the post is sticking to the nut.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Back