Adding more resistance to the tremolo

beakybird

So I'm jamming on my new SE 24-08, and I notice that the whammy bar is a little more responsive than I'm used to. I was wondering if there's an easy way to make it a little harder to push down without some procedure like adding springs that's going to necessitate recalibrating the intonation. As it is, the string height and the intonation are perfect.

If it's complicated, I'll leave it alone because it's not a big deal.

So I'm jamming on my new SE 24-08, and I notice that the whammy bar is a little more responsive than I'm used to. I was wondering if there's an easy way to make it a little harder to push down without some procedure like adding springs that's going to necessitate recalibrating the intonation. As it is, the string height and the intonation are perfect.

If it's complicated, I'll leave it alone because it's not a big deal.

Adding springs is about it. If you screw in the claw further, that will also do it too however the bridge will have less float. You can go all the way and make it a one way trem, but be careful. If you use the bar and accidentally let her go, the bridge will slam into the body, potentially damaging the top.

I would suggest adding a spring, though this will take a little time since it will require a whole new setup of the claw so you get the proper float. Adding a spring should not affect the truss rod. Intonation should not be affected either.

Edit: didn't mean to say the whole setup needs to be adjusted. I shouldn't write anything while standing in line at the dmv.

Last edited:
Just add another spring, then adjust the trem claw until the bridge returns to its original position. You shouldn’t have to make any other adjustments at all. If you get it exactly back to where it was, it should even still be in tune.

How many springs are on there now?

Adding a spring is the way I go. I've never tried it but they do sell springs with more tension that might help.

How many springs are on there now?

Adding a spring is the way I go. I've never tried it but they do sell springs with more tension that might help.

There are four strings in there right now. I don't think I'd want to add more springs. The trem is just a little lighter than my strat which was my only electric for the last few years.

At some point, I might try springs that have more tension. More likely, I'll adjust my vibrato technique (Ok, spell check put vibrator technique ).

There are four strings in there right now. I don't think I'd want to add more springs. The trem is just a little lighter than my strat which was my only electric for the last few years.

At some point, I might try springs that have more tension. More likely, I'll adjust my vibrato technique (Ok, spell check put vibrator technique ).
You already have 4 in there? I gotta ask, what gauge strings do you use?

You already have 4 in there? I gotta ask, what gauge strings do you use?

I should have mentioned this. The guitar has extra lights. I've played 10s my whole life, and this could be the main reason why the tremolo feels more responsive than my strat's. I really love the 9s though.

Black gotoh springs gives greater tension and are priced well

This might be a fun project down the line. I think I'll give myself a few months to acclimate myself to the instrument, maybe spring for springs in the spring.

I should have mentioned this. The guitar has extra lights. I've played 10s my whole life, and this could be the main reason why the tremolo feels more responsive than my strat's. I really love the 9s though.

Wow! With four springs and it's still highly responsive? I usually recommend 4 springs for 11s and above. I find 4 springs on a set of 9s to feel sluggish. You must have some good hand strength!

This might be a fun project down the line. I think I'll give myself a few months to acclimate myself to the instrument, maybe spring for springs in the spring.

I have ton of them. I will also be returning to stock PRS springs. If you in the UK I can ship you few to play with

Wow! With four springs and it's still highly responsive? I usually recommend 4 springs for 11s and above. I find 4 springs on a set of 9s to feel sluggish. You must have some good hand strength!

Lol. Hand strength? I have to ask my female roommate for help opening jars sometimes. But she does weigh 200 lbs.

I live in the USA. So nice of you, not only to make this kind offer but to message me during your tea time, lol.

Haha, I'm at work. Had a quick sandwich on standby point.

Shipping to the States would probably be more than the total for springs :/

Same time give them a shot, they may be what you are looking for. I have my trems decked with 5 but just started using wood block to lock the tremolo and I like it better

Back